Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #21
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Susie

I have commented on this subject before. Seems the main problem is Keystone is not monitoring the decal production well enough. I'm sure that process is sub-let to a graphics company. There are three different levels/grades of vinyl, only one is good for outdoor vehicle use. Local sign shops have always tried to save money and put the cheaper vinyl on vehicles, only to have them peel and need replacing. I am replacing only the word Montana on mine, and am hand painting all the other graphics. I know, almost 40 years in the sign shop helps there, but if your going to replace any decals, make sure you tell the local sign person, you know the difference in vinyl and want only the top grade. Also as I Have said, if your handy with a brush, you can outline all your graphics/vinyl with marine spar varnish and in most all cases that will eliminate any peeling. Even if you have to take your unit to a sign shop and have him outline the graphics, that would be cheaper than replacement graphics. Happy Trails, Steve
That's good to know! Thanks for the tip!

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #22
D2IKType
Established Member

M.O.C. #13220
I registered for this site hoping to find answers to Montana RVing problems and to share travel experiences. I find that you have not had any better lock with my major problem than I. At least, I'll still have the community of the owners. Peeling applications and unsticking glue seem to be Keystone trademarks. My Laredo RL28 had peeling and missing graphics on day-one. Later the rubber counter edge separated. The promised decals never arrived and I had a cabinet maker take care of the counter edge. Within three months of purchase the logo on the headboard over the dining/sitting area in my 2011 Montana 3455SA started to curl away in sections. Keystone provided a cheap stenciled plaque to replace it - ugly is too kind a word for the effect. Again, I am calling on a talented friend to duplicate the logo in the same inlaid style. I think they just want us to buy the rig beyond our means (like the mortgages) with fancy paint jobs and bells and whistles. So if my graphics peel, I will spend my time, money and effort with an automotive paint shop; it has to be less stressful that chasing after Keystone.
D2IKType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #23
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I originally looked at my problem as a challenge. The front and street side are the only decals affected by the peeling with the rear and curb side perfect. Go figure!!! When we had our accident I chose to leave the rear decal off and liked the nice, clean look. As I removed the front and side I became more excited about the nice "new" look with the replacement decals. Though I have not finished the project, due to a sudden change of climate, I will finish when we arrive home from our Fl home to where Monte is parked, in Il. I want to make sure that the decals "stay put" w/o peeling. Sealing the edges make sense to keep them from peeling. If it doesn't work, I will be looking at trading to an SOB. I know that no brand is perfect but we never had this problem with our previous SOB.

Steve, if you are in Northern Illinois after 4/1/13 and the weather is warm, feel free to stop by and help. And Thanks for the offer LOL
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote