Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
pdferg
Established Member

M.O.C. #3124
mice

I have a 2006 Montana 3400 I park near a field. Were having problems with mice getting inside and also chewing up our water line to our storage tank. I have no idea where they can get in.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where they might get in? The RV repair people says it's all tight. Thanks!

PDFERG

pdferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #2
Roadster31
Established Member

M.O.C. #5548
They get in EVERWHERE
Roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
Roadster31
Established Member

M.O.C. #5548
I had to foam the openings to the living space. under the oven, behind the electrical panel, behind the bedroom tv, under the bath sink, anywhere there is any space around a pipoe or wire, they will get in. Also any openings to the underside. In the winter (storage) I even block the return air area under the stairs.

Good Luck
Roadster 31
Roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
If you can get the rig onto a concrete surface and borrow a creeper and slide around under the rig you will see a multitude of little holes they can get into the belly of the rig through. Once in the belly they have a straight shot into the rig through and holes in the floor like where the plumbing comes through under the stairs or the bathroom sink. The best way to rid the rig of mice I think is with standard snap traps. I never use poison bait because they will eat it and die inside the rig, and usually where you cannot find them. That usually gets stinky for a few weeks. Snap traps are better than glue traps and less messy if you get a larger critter that will drag the glue trap around and get it stuck to anything it hits. It is almost impossible to close all the access holes to the rig. Even if the hole is as small as a dime they can get in through it. Try not to leave anything they like to eat in the rig when it is going to be stored for awhile. Dog food and cat food are popular items for the critters as well as dog and cat treats. They also need a water source so drain the rig if it will be stored for awhile... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Our 07/3400 was anything but tight. They might be entering alongside each of the slide rams for the dining, desk and kitchen slide. If you look under each of these you will find an enlarged hole were the ram goes through the frame and once through there they could run around under there and enter wherever. Once in the underbelly there are numerous spaces alongside any water line, etc that comes up through the floor. Just one example, in the dining cupboard peninsula there are cupboard doors on the base cabinets that open to the rear picture window. In that cupboard there is a brown plastic access panel to remove and when you look in with a flashlight you will find numerous holes as the water pipes come up through the floor. All holes need to be filled with steel wool or a type of expansion foam. Believe me you can spend hours under your cupboards and under your rig finding these spaces.

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
Tom_Holsinger
Established Member

M.O.C. #10492
I read a hilarious but purportedly effective means of discouraging rodent visitors on the Trailer Life forum. A lady said she had great results with unwrapped bars of a hand soap called "Irish Spring" which she left out on small saucers in strategic locations in her RV. I forget whether this was while traveling, or in storage, or both.
Tom_Holsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
If you look at the frame where your slides are you'll find a large opening-hole in the frame where the hydraulic cylinders that move the slides in and out are. These holes provide access to the belly. Once in the belly they can crawl up the silver flexible hose from the furnace that is just laying in the belly. Once in the furnace they can go anywhere in the trailer.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Oh my... Irish Spring bar soap. Unfortunately, that scent is way too strong for me too, and it would keep me out of my own rig. Me, the mice and the rats would have to set up a tent elsewhere.

Funny, that when I used Irish Spring decades ago, the scent was more tolerable but now that I'm older its scent causes me to sneeze my head off, so I had to stop using it.

Where I live my problem is Black Widow spiders. They like the openings, nooks and crannies at the jacks, stabilizers or wheels. When a web forms I kidnap a small bug and toss it at the web. When she comes out to attack it, I get her, then clean out the web, vacuum as best I can, then wait until the next time. So far I have been quick enough not to find an infestation of Black Widow spider webs inside the rig. Please, no one let DW know I'm doing this.

btw - roadster, you might check if the furnace needs the stair vents for circulation. My rig requires them to be open or the furnace won't work right. It's okay to block them when running the A/C or if in storage, but you might check about the furnace.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
D Lefevre
Established Member

M.O.C. #10268
I use dryer sheets scattered on the floor when in storage and place them under the dresser in bedroom and under chairs and sofa when in use. I have never had and mice or bugs. knock on wood. Be sure to get some good smelling ones.
D Lefevre is offline   Reply With Quote