Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
OUCH

We had a very unusual thing happen to us after we left the rally. We were traveling with H. John Kohl and went into a truck stop parking lot--exit 2 on Ohio turnpike--so we could check lug nuts and get a bite to eat. As we were leaving and dodging the pot holes we heard a "scrape" sound--looked back and there our Monte was sitting behind the truck all by itself. We of course got out and looked--the hitch jaws were closed and the little black "latch" was still latched on the handle.
Well, we got it back on the hitch and took our new V shaped tailgate off the pickup. Some minor damage to the bottom side of the front cap of the Monty and one larger dent and two smaller ones on the bed rails.

Went to have hitch checked today and after the repair shop called Reese they decided it was not a manufacture problem but "wear". They had never heard of anything like this happen before but it was highly suggested we get a new upper hitch part for safety. They thought that it may have been a "false Hitchup"--if you don't get it latched tight when you back up the front of the jaws (the part you see) will close and the back may not close. It was obvious that it had not been high hitched because there was no rubbing seen on the jaws. The hitch tech reminded us to always back into it with the pin box a little low so that it has to be sort of forced into position.

we are lucky that it did not happen when we were going down the highway at 60mph and the damage can be fixed, no one was hurt and it could have been a lot worse.

We went to Brad's Trailer Sevice in Rochester, NY. The campground is recommending them to anyone that may need service and a man from there that used to be a Reese Sales Rep was at the campground and advised us to get it inspected there. They were very nice and professional.

John will probably be along and may add to this saga.

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Jan and Paul said it. It was a sick feeling looking at the Monty nose down behind the truck. And resting about 4 feet behind the truck. Paul and Jan have a newer Monty with the dropped Z frame so it was lower to the ground and less distance to fall.

Those with the lower front frame watch your ground clearance real close. Paul and Jan were in a pot hole area with many (5 feet diameter) and 1 foot or so deep holes. It seems their trailer and truck were both in holes and the front legs rubbed a high spot putting extra drag on the hitch.
I made it through but I sit a lot higher than the new units.
As Paul said the stars and sun just lined up wrong. Good news now one hurt and he is able to keep going.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
When I hear these stories I'm thankfull we have the solid sliding bar.There is no way it is coming open if closed properly. Wow. that would scare the crap out of me. Good thing you weren't on the highway.
et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Glad no one was hurt. Sorry to hear about the trailer damage, but that can be fixed. Probably too much Mogul Mouse dancing while it was hitched. Tell Jan my boo boos are all healing, and thanks for helping me get bandaged up. Got the bike back tonight and a new helmet earlier this week. Have a safe trip.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am having my Draw tite hitch checked in the AM as it clunkes when starting out and I am concerned about wear. Draw tite and reese are made by the same company and are about identical... Sure sounds like a "High Hitch" to me???? Weight of the camper kept it on and the jolt of the pot hole lifted it off???? It happens////
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If it's not one thing it's another! Sorry to hear this happened and happy nobody was hurt except for the pickup! Hey, just another reason to get a new truck like Ron's! You guys have a great trip and we'll get together when you get back to Omaha!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Oh no, on your beautiful new Monty too.. So sorry but thankful you were off the road.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:29 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I am part of the "Been there, Done that!" club. Happened to us in June of this year. Interestingly enough, we also have a Reese hitch - the Signature Series 18K. It caused over $8,000 in damage (combined) to the truck and trailer. I went to nearest RV dealer and between the tech and myself found out what happened. The Reese instructions state the safety pin cannot be inserted unless the jaw is locked in place. This is NOT true. My trailer was hooked up, the jaw closed, and the safety pin in place. The tech and I discovered that the release handle can be back about an inch and the safety pin will go in to place, but the hitch is not locked! There is a 'flag' that is supposed to block the safety pin hole when the hitch isn't locked, and show when the hitch is locked. My 'flag' wasn't showing, but as I stated, the pin went into place. I spent three days trying to contact Reese (they don't return phone calls) and when I was finally successful, they were no help at all.

I now have a Blue-Ox bed saver!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:45 AM   #10
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
The Blue Ox is going to be installed very soon on ours. Our hitch is a Reese 16K one. The trailer place called the Reese factory and had several conversations with them--I had the feeling they thought that it would be covered under the "lifetime" warrenty but guess what--it is "normal wear". I think you and your tech came up with the same sort of idea that this tech did.--he called it a false hitch. We had even put it in and out of maneuver mode so you would have though that would have made it come loose and driven about 150 miles. Guess this is something everybody should be aware of. The place we went to had never seen this happen--and they do a lot or trailers.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:13 AM   #11
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are so glad that you were not on the road when this happened. We will now get a hitch saver installed.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The warranty on the hitches is 5 years. They have a facility in Goshen near the Lippert factory and I had a chat with them. The parent company is Cequent towing products..they make Draw tite, reese as well as other towing products. It is not hard to do a "high hitch" and the condition Tom S describes will happen. We do not back into the hitch but position the pin over the hitch jaws and drop the pin into the jaws.
The pull test will insure that the hitch is locked into place. It takes longer to hitch but we are in no hurry.Neither reese or draw tite will cover operator error./

OH..Far be it from me to make a mistake but we have had the bed saver since day one. The bedsaver was on before we ever hooked to the 3400.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:31 AM   #13
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
They told us yesterday to always back in rather than drop the pin into the jaws--and we always do the pull test, whcih we did that day

Old 10-01-2009, 04:04 AM   #14
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Glad that no one was hurt.It's a good thing that you were not on the road when this happened.

Bill & Angie
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:22 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by et2

When I hear these stories I'm thankfull we have the solid sliding bar.There is no way it is coming open if closed properly. Wow. that would scare the crap out of me.
Ditto.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #16
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I have the 16k Reese slider. I would like to know what I am not seeing when I hook up. I leave the latch closed and the 5th wheel about 1" lower then the plate when I back under. When backing I line up on line with pin as I don't like to side stress the landing gear,when the rig comes up on the plate the locking lever opens up then closes around the pin. Then I give it a little tug while leaving the chocks in. I can see the locking dogs around the back of the pin but is there something I can't see if front of the pin.

Glad to here you came away unhurt and little damage. If that happened going 65 mph,now that scares me!
Larry in Olympia
Drifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not back into the hitch but position the pin over the hitch jaws and drop the pin into the jaws." Drop was a poor choice of words. We lower the pin into the hitch. There is no way for a high hitch.If you did as you describe and did the pull test and the camper dropped you have a seriously defective hitch...some thing has got to be broke. Had my hitch inspected today and the tech can not imagine what could have gone wrong in your case without any indication of faiure.. Let us know if and when you find out what broke,
Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Rich if you were responding to me. I have not had any problems backing under the pin. This is how the Reese dealer in Lacey Wa. said was way to hook up. I believe lowering the pin into the hitch might no be the correct way to couple to trailer. This is my opinion only as there are probably many ways you folks do it. When doing the pull test the landing gear is still on the ground so trailer will not drop just uncouple. I'm sure jpkelep will post his findings so all of us can correct the problem areas.
Larry
Drifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Drifty1..no i was not. I guess what I am saying is hard to understand.I do not like to back into the hitch as you can be 2 or 3 inches off and force it in. I do not like that side stress for the same reasons. I position the pin over the jaws then lower the pin into the hitch so that the pin is in the center of the jaws..then back in. What happened to jpkelep is of concern to me as we have a similar hitch..of course we have the bedsaver but if his hitch failed I would like to know why.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #20
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We do not back into the hitch but position the pin over the hitch jaws and drop the pin into the jaws." Drop was a poor choice of words. We lower the pin into the hitch. There is no way for a high hitch.If you did as you describe and did the pull test and the camper dropped you have a seriously defective hitch...some thing has got to be broke. Had my hitch inspected today and the tech can not imagine what could have gone wrong in your case without any indication of faiure.. Let us know if and when you find out what broke,
On the Reese Signature Series, they specifically state to not drop the pin onto the hitch, and to always back up under the pin box. The Signature Series has a metal tab that releases the latch when the pin pushes against it. If you drop the pin down, it is likely to bend this tab and the hitch will never latch. NOTE: as far as I know, this is on the Signature Series only.

EDIT: Here is the Reese Signature Series PDF. On the first page, they show the small graphic located on the hitch for hooking up. It's located below parts #3 and #7. Zoom in to 800% for best view.

http://assets.iqestores.com/hitch_in...ons/N30847.pdf

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote