Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #21
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I can't speak as to every truck manufacturer, but I can speak as to the specs right from SI2000(GM repair information provided to GM techs) on model years 2007 through 2012 there is no difference between the brake components on a 2500HD 4x4 and a 3500HD 4x4 SRW. In thoery, these should stop identically as long as you are comparing the same cab/box configuration. As I said in earlier posts, there is definately a difference in stability on a duelly vs SRW. In 2008 there is an increase of 1,200# in max. trailer weight and 0 increase in GCVW comparing the same cab/box configuration 2500HD/3500HD 4x4. Using GM information again, that only increases pin weight spec by 300#. There is not enough gain IMO to warrant going SRW and short box. Step up to a LONG box, which is what you HAVE to do to get a duelly, there is a large difference-22,500 max. trailer weight and 30,500 GCVW. Keeping in mind these trucks all have the same brake components at the wheels, the difference as I stated earlier is in the springs, frame and duel wheels. Stopping should be the same. As for controlling the beasts that we are all towing, remember there is 12,000 to 16,000 pounds BEHIND roughly 8,000 pounds for most of us. If any of us are expecting to control that "when things go bad", we are in for a surprise because you can't stop physics!
Marty originally asked for opinions whether he had enough truck. He certainly got some. Ultimately, he has to decide what he is comfortable with. If everyone remembers what is behind them ,what it takes to stop safely and leave more than adequate room between you and the next vehicle and as Rich said "drive accordingly", we should all arrive safe at journey's end.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
martyperu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13316
Thanks everyone for the information and the interest in me. In the near future I am going to up grade the truck. I sort of feel I bought the cart before the horse but we fell in love with the Montana at a local RV show and even though we had been researching for some time we new this was the trailer that fit our retirement. Plus the price was right.
Like people have said the truck I have does handle it in "normal conditions". I feel that as you getting a little older why not make life easier. My next truck will be a 1 ton (3500). My last question is do you think I need a dually. We all know what it costs for a tire change. It is just the wife and me so I still like at extended cab instead of a crew cab.
This is my first winter of retirement and I will tell you one thing, sitting in Saskatchewan Canada with 1 foot of snow in April is getting old. Apache Junction or Yuma next winter. Cheers. Marty
martyperu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
Hi Marty,

The DRW will give you more lateral stability in winds, in turns and when braking. The initial purchase price will be higher, fuel cost will be slightly higher and you will have additional tires to buy and a fat rear end when parking. I strongly recommend a 4x4 if driving in snow. I don' t know if a DRW is the best choice for you, but I am happy with mine.

Barry Redden
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #24
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
A dually is the best choice for pulling around one of these beasts. For us, getting a dually is not practical. We've been told that duallys ( even 4x4 ) drive poorly in snow and ice. Since we only have one vehicle and we live in northern Minnesota a SRW truck is the best option for us.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:00 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We agree about driving A NY pickup truck in snow or ice. In NW PA we put sand bags in the bed to give it more weight. For towing the Montana our only concern was the best truck to tow the RV and be within specs. we let the spec,s choose the truck. We did not get a heavier 5th wheel this time because they were out of the specs of our 08 F-350.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #26
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
For those GM types, does a dually stop quicker (shorter distance) than an SRW with same brake specs?
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #27
tractor46

M.O.C. #13370
We also have the led lights and finally found out a switch on the wall turns them on. No one could answer what this switch was for....not the dealer who we bought it from or the repair people at the RV shop in Yuma AZ.....finally turned the switch on one night and went outside to see what happened......
tractor46 is offline   Reply With Quote