Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
couldn't turn off security lights - surprise !

So we had our second " shakedown" trip this past weekend in Texas,. We had the first beautiful weekend of the year and were camped on the edge of Lone Star Lake watching the beautiful sunsets !

So Saturday am I noticed the light over the trailer tongue and the security light were on. I go in to turn the light switch off - and it is off ! So I start flipping switches thinking that I'm wrong in my understanding of what on and off positions were. Wouldn't you ? Much to my surprise, I couldn't turn those lights off no matter what. So now i 'm thinkin - there's a switch somewhere i don't know of ( at this point go look at my other post about my sink not draining ) .
I can't find another switch anywhere !! And I looked in every nook and Granny !
Ok, so this is where the hard part comes in , I had to think about it. A lot.
Then I had an idea. I went to the drawer where I had put the remote control. I had never used this device. I take the control , carefully read the instructions, push not one but TWO buttons to turn the device on and then as I 'm standing outside looking at the lights, I hit the " security light" button. voila ! they turned off.

Apparently , one can put a Glock 27 on top of a remote control and scare the thing into not only turning the remote itself on, but the security lights as well !! How's that for modern convenience.

So if you find you can't turn something on or off, check the remote. It the remote won't fix the problem- you may shoot it.

Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Ain't modern technology grand??
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
I like option 2
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
SuperDave, If I'm not mistaken, the Remote does not need to be turned on to active the outside lights. It only have to be turned on to operate the slides, landing gear and rear stablizers. Guess it's setup that way, so you could turn on the lights as you approach after a midnight stroll by just pressing the one button.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
When we first got ours, the DW said something was wrong because the scare light would not turn off by the switch. As i am a nice Hubby, i expalined it was the new voice operated scare light. Took her outside and hollared, LIGHT OFF. Of course the light went off. She was amazed amd tried it, LIGHT ON. Of course it didn't go on. I explained its set to male voices only.(and of course males that have the keybob in their pocket.)
Well, needless to say i had to tell the truth the next day. Now when she ask's, where's the male keybob and we both grin and laugh.

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Dave,

Been there done that. Now here is the kicker, you turn the battery disconnect off and remove the key, the light is still on... if you turn it on with the remote, you have to run if off with the remote. Btw, the receiver for the remote is above the battery on the back wall, has it own 15 Amp fuse, and is connected to in line circuit breaker right after the battery hot lead.

If you turn the light on/off from the panel inside the coach, I believe you can turn it off via same switch... Haven't tested but if you use the switch inside the coach, and turn the disconnect off, I will bet the light will go out. I think the remote has its own set of wires to the light.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Dave,
Glad you got it figured out....but like you said the Glock is always an option too
Jack
Old 03-09-2010, 04:46 AM   #8
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
You are smarter than we are. When that happened to us, I went on this site and was told how to fix the problem. Lots of smart people here!!
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Last night Camilla woke me to tell me our outside light was on...at that moment in time I didn't really care, but got up to turn it off...would not turn off???? Like Dave, after some thought, went out to the truck to get the remote and was happy to find that it did turn the light off. Now, the big question, HOW DID IT GET TURNED ON IN THE FIRST PLACE????
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:14 AM   #10
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Michael, Sounds like you need to try the Glock method...or get an exorcist!!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #11
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Oh my goodness...now I know why the light at the end of the tunnel is off!
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #12
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Michael, Sounds like you need to try the Glock method...or get an exorcist!!
Walt, while "life's little mysteries" can keep life interesting, this is one mystery I could have done without at midnight!!!!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am sort of glad we do not have one of those remotes.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Me too, Rich.

I've read several times from MOC posters that a remote can operate these lights independent of the switch. I don't like this method. Most everything I own can also be overridden by the manual switch and I think this is how it should work.

This comes up all the time in this forum. Even when folks have had a PDI and this is discussed, it always seems to be forgotten that if the remote is used to turn on something it must be used to turn it off. Makes no sense. I carry my cellphone everywhere I go to make phone calls, but now I have to look for, remember and carry the remote, too? I would prefer motion sensing lights which can also be controlled with the switch.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
Have the light problem regarding the remote. Can someone direct me to where I can find the switch / circuit breaker to deal with this. The light remains on.

Thanks
McIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #16
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I am sort of glad we do not have one of those remotes.
Rich, you need to look in your drawers because you have one
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #17
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Seems I might be in the minority, but I love the remote and the ability to turn on or off those lights with the remote. It has never failed to turn them on or off.

While inspecting my 3402RL which was at the dealer for warranty repairs, I was following the tech up the stairs to inspect the closet repair and noticed the main switch panel was taken off the wall and all the wiring was exposed. When I asked why this was, the tech announced that I had an electrical problem and they could not turn off the DS light and the hitch light. They were going to replace the switch. I asked where the remote was and when he handed it to me and I turned off the lights there was complete and utter silence. This episode not only involved the tech working on my Monty, it also involved the service writer that had accompanied me to my unit. Do you think they were a tad embarrassed?

Since the remote communicates with the control center in the front compartment you might be able to turn the light off there, if you look in and see a red LED light on, that means the center is active, just below that is a reset button, push that and the red light will go off and the lights might also go out. Can't confirm this since my unit is still at the dealer, but I do know it shuts down the control center for all other functions regarding the hydraulics so might just shut off the lights as well. This is not an on/off switch, it is a momentary reset switch, you can turn things on and off with the remote right after pushing it.... I will have to ask the dealer....right....

Let us know if it works as I will be checking mine when I get it back.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
Ah yes, the ole "Light at the end of the Tunnel" I had one of those, but it was a train coming-----they say I'll be outta bed and walking in no time--lol Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote