Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
Galley holding tank sensors

My new to me 2006 2955RL shows the galley tank full. I tried dumping it today but nothing came out and it still shows full. I assume I just have to pull the lever in front of the left front wheel. I actually pulled both the gray water lever and the galley tank lever. Probably faulty sensors unless I did something else wrong. Is it possible to clean or check the galley tank sensors?

Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Sensors--one of the greatest works of fiction known to RV owners (in most cases). Ours have never worked since the day we bought our brand-new unit. With time, you'll get a feeling for when you need to dump the galley and other tanks. My galley sensor has read 1/3 full since day one. The black tank occasionally reads empty after we clean it, but the next time it might read 1/2 full (when it's actually empty). The gray water tank sensor seems to be the most reliable; it usually tells the truth about when it's full and when it's empty.

There have been lots of comments regarding sensors on the MOC board. You might try searching "sensors" to see some of what's been posted.

Welcom to the forum!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Georgeguy,
Most likely it is simply a gunked up sensor as you suspect. You can try putting a lot of water in the tank and let it soak for awhile. Some folks have compiled simple to complex cleaning schemes to keep the tank clean and the sensor working. But many of us simply let the tank fill up and then dump it. Actually we leave the drain valve open on the Galley tank. We often do the same with our gray water tank. But we NEVER leave the black tank open. We simply let the black tank fill up to the point that we can tell it is almost completely full. Then we dump and rinse until only clear water exits the tank. Of course we have the clear see-thru elbow connection so we can see.

Other than learning when to dump from experience the only answer would be to put some non clogging internal sensors or even better (but more expensive) some external sensors. Good luck, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
There are many threads on here about the tank sensors! There was one thread that someone said they put some Rid-X or something like that into the tank and let it sit a bit then dumped it but I don't remember who it was or how long they left it in the tanks before dumping it! If you go the the Search engine at the top of the page and type in tank sensors or cleaning tanks you should come up with plenty of threads that on the subject. It sounds like it is the sensors but are you sure the one handle rod for the galley tank hasn't come loose from the valve attachment? This has happened also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We shop for and use holding tank chemicals that advertise cleaning sensors....most of the time they seem to work, but depending on how much (relative to the gray tanks) soap/shampoo goes down the forward drains and how much dish liquid/grease goes down the galley drain, we frequently get false readings...usually showing 1/3 full after dumping. When this happens, we up the amount of treatment and we soon get back to more accurate readings. Another issue we have noticed with the galley tank is that we think that after dumping the galley tank, there may still be enough dish liquid suds in the tank to confuse the sensors...true or false, don't know.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Something else to consider, I don't know about your model, but several rigs from that era had the hidden galley tank lever. On our 3400 the gray water (shower and sink) and the black water levers were together. The galley tank lever was hidden beneath the tire fenders between the tires. Are you sure you are pulling the galley tank lever??? As others said, the sensors are practically worthless. A quick check is to run the kitchen sink with the galley lever open, and see if it is indeed draining.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have the external sensors they work real well, I recommend them.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,
About how much did those things set you back (just ballpark is OK) and were you able to use the existing wiring and panel? Thanks, Dennis.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Sensors are as accurate as my truck's mileage computer. If you really need working sensors keep some liquid fabric softener at the ready. Calgon water softener also works.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
How much would you use? And after each empty or every two or three?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think it was around $160 IF I remember correctly.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,
OK. Thanks. So it comes with its own monitor. What about the wiring? Did you pull new ones or did you use existing? I see propane on the monitor.. Is that an EXTRA or does a sensor come with the system?

Sounds like you are just about ready to hit the road. Not a moment too soon! Dennis
Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dennis, it was an ordeal. I had to string wires to all the tanks after dropping the bottom cover. I was very careful to clean the area on the tanks for the install. The calibration was a 'Bear', actually they stopped making them because it was so difficult to calibrate them, took me two days. I love mine, there are similar units out there now on the market.
I tried to get a sensor for the tank, but as I understand it only the horizontal tanks will work. The sensor is extra.
Sue and I are exhausted, there are so many things we have done already, and many to do.
I have been 'Baby-sitting' my service guy integrating him into my customer base and fielding calls on service problems. HVAC service is a tough business to learn. So many aspects of the trade, then you have to throw in the business side. Not hard to see why so many of these business fail in the first year or two. I think he will do fine, but it will not be easy for him.
We are looking at leaving Tuesday or Wednesday... who hooo...
Old 05-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #14
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
Good news, I found out why my galley tank would not drain. It had apparently sat quite a while and some of the crud that was in the tank dried into a plug just upstream from the valve. A plumber's snake and a mess later, it drains like it is supposed to. Also the sensors are working better (shows 2/3 full instead of full), I think as I use it there is a good chance the other sensors may get cleaned off enough to be somewhat usable.
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Our 3400's sensors were just about worthless. The new MH has these that (so far) have worked perfectly:

http://www.sealandsanitation.com/road_sea_vacuums.htm
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote