Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2018, 06:31 AM   #81
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I have heard that its more about the rear end that needs to be broken in more than the engine. Some say they didn't do that. I would however do what the book says. Mine was 500 miles. Better be safe than sorry. Enjoy the truck and post some photos of the delivery.

The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:50 PM   #82
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Well I am in possession of my new truck. I think it is close to the same as buying a house with all the paper work. I drove it home the long way going up a long steep grade and some extra miles to get home. I am still impressed with the quietness in the cab when going down the highway. Seemed comfortable on my fairly short drive home. Still not comfortable in it as it always takes me awhile to get used to a new rig. It sure has a lot of bells and whistles for me to learn how to actually use as they were designed to be used.

I am open to suggestions on if buying extended warranty and service work is a good thing or a rip off. They do make some sense but it is not overly cheap to purchase them. Some of them are already covered by my insurance.

It appears to run out RPM wise similar to my old 7.3 with 3.73 gears at 70 MPH. I was not sure which gears to get, (4.10 or 3.54) if I remember correctly. I went with the 4.10's. I would have taken the 3.73 if they gave the option and considered it the best of both worlds with both 5th and 6th gear being overdrives. Probable drop the rpm down below 2k and stil have extra power for slower speed pulling but probably a bit better mileage.

Still reading manuals and trying to memorize where and what each button does. in a few weeks when I get some miles on it I will try it out actually pulling the 3160 and see what the results are.

Thanks for all the suggestions and input on my questions on my new TV.

Tom Marty
Old 05-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #83
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Have fun with the new truck.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:21 AM   #84
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tom,

No need to make a decision on extended warranty until your basic bumper to bumper is getting near expiration. Extended warranty not needed until then and they have your money longer than needed.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #85
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Insurance is a bet. If you have it then you are betting you will need it and the insurance company is betting you want. Know of any insurance company's going broke lately? If you need peace of mind then get it but it is rather expensive. Agree with AZ in that i would wait till close to warranty expiring then make an decision. These trucks are of great quality today compared to 30 years ago.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #86
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the Ford ESP plan which is a extension of the OEM warranty. Check on the prices of worst case failures .
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #87
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I got the ESP also, Just to many computers and other expensive parts that can go out. Plus I have no clue how to work on this F350 and I have no desire to work on this truck.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #88
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I also have the Ford ESP. Use to do all my repair work, even to the point of replacing engines. But my age and auto technology have both advanced to the point I don’t go there any more.
Shop on line for the lowest price on the Ford ESP. Most likely will be much less than your local Ford dealer. Then you can print out that on line offer and see if your dealer will match or come close to that price if you want to buy local. My dealer initially was about $1k higher, but ended up about $100 more. It is a Ford plan, not a dealer plan, so it doesn’t matter where you buy.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #89
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Just to reiterate, if you are going to do it (and I have had one ever since my 2004 6.0L POS) get the Ford ESP and *NOT* one of the 3rd party ones. Your dealer will try to sell youthe Ford ESP when you buy. But they are usually way over priced. Do a Google search and you will find a number of dealers who sell them at a significant discount. I have been using Tony Dietrich at Ford of Greenfield http://fd-warranty.com/ for my last two.

There is a lesser price if you buy the warranty in the first 12 months (although you don't need it then) than if you wait a while. But don't wait too long (passed 3 years or 36K miles) or it gets expensive.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #90
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes on shopping around for the best price on the Ford ESP plan. We did just that and got the ESP at a reasonable price from a dealer in Maine. Yes Make sure it is the Ford ESP and not a second or third party warranty.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #91
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Interesting comments and yes the price came down 500.00 in less than twenty minutes while on their sales pitch and I am sure it could come down significantly more.

Has a really big rear end to go with the wide hips. Really thought they could have supplied a fined cover to help with cooling.

Little over a hundred miles on it.

Tom Marty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1652  
Old 05-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #92
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Adding photos is not as straight forward as I had hoped.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	21
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	1653  
Old 05-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #93
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Front view. Since I have not been able to tow yet I want to say that the interior noise level is very quiet. The ride is not bad considering that it has the snowplow pkg which makes the front springs automatically go up one size heavier. The back will hop if on washboard roads.
Sorry about going on but it was 18 plus years ago I ordered the last one. My 2000 arrived at the dealer in December 1999 if I remember correctly.

I really fill that this truck will be a lot better fit for towing our Montana. It has way more power, way better exhaust brake, two extra wheels, 14,000gvw verse 9990gvw, 20,000 GVWR verses 30,000 plus GVWR. My old truck is still a good truck just showing its age when compared to the new ones from the big three.

Tom Marty
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	24
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	1654  
Old 05-21-2018, 05:25 AM   #94
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 08 F-350 was ordered with the snow plow package and the the camper package which made it really heavy duty and it rides ....well..like a truck..not a real smooth ride solo but we ordered it to pull large heavy Montana's and it does that well . We have a Honda SUV f or the very smooth ride.We also have the 14K GVW. You will never worry about pin weight. You will like the truck.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:54 AM   #95
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Extended warranties are a waste of money. Frst off they start from date of delivery not purchase date. Second they offer no interest payments but why you must ask yourself. They make a killing on those things. Third they dont cover everything like the bumper to bumper that came with the truck. High deductible so on top of paying fore the warranty you also have to pay some for the repair. I bought one for my Taurus SHO and had some issues but not covered under my ESP. It was a total waste of money. When I got my new truck No way were they going to hook me again. its just another way for the dealer to make money on you. These trucks are built so much better that they dont brake down as much as the earlier trucks did. I have 51,000 on my truck and outside of a couple recalls my truck has been flawless. Yup I am out of B to B warranty and the truck is only 3 years old Did that last year on my last trip. I just keep up on maintenance and all is good.

Nice truck. Reason you got such a tall gear is because you got the dully. I have a SRW with 3.31's and mine pulls just fine. I get around 11.5 MPG on my last trip across the country. You should get close to the same.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:28 AM   #96
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Purchased our Ford ESP with 6 months to go on the 3 year warranty.. our Deductible is 100.00.I do not understand the "they do not offer interest payments" Who offers interest on a purchase. We have never paid more than the 100.00 deductible on any repair. The ESP covers everything except normal wear and tear are you sure you got the FORD ESP.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #97
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Yes on shopping around for the best price on the Ford ESP plan. We did just that and got the ESP at a reasonable price from a dealer in Maine. Yes Make sure it is the Ford ESP and not a second or third party warranty.
Rich,

I bought an extended warranty through USAA - lower cost than ESP with no deductible. Have been very happy with the service. Have used it three times without any issues and you are not tied to using it at a Ford dealer if that matters to you. They have replaced the DEF tank ($600), driver side mirror with gear stripped ($1200) and front suspension repair ($1900).

I waited until my bumper to bumper was near expiration to buy.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #98
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
I think the registration for our F 350 in Ohio is 64.00 there is no pollution checks on diesel truck.
NEVADA REGISTRATION FOR OUR NEW LONGHORN RAM......1448!!!?! One year!
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #99
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I bought the EasyCare ESP on a previous Ford truck and it paid for covered repairs with no problem. Service advisor said only real difference in the Ford ESP was that the advisor had to call EasyCare for approval before starting any work where they could proceed immediately without prior approval with the Ford ESP. So next time I bought Ford.

Have not quite broke even on cost of plan vs repairs paid for by them. Even a minor repair sometimes cost substantial dollars. Major repair = $$$$$.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #100
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a problem with the heater in our 08 Ford that required removing the entire dashboard to replace a 35.00 part.That alone was a 900.00 bill.