Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
gaykimmel

M.O.C. #18685
Satellite TV coaxil cable hookup?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Hooking up Winegard Carry Out G2+ with coaxial cable going into living room satellite connection located where the city water connection is located and then travels through interior wiring where the next connection is a cable from the wall within the coach above the TV where it connects to the Power Inserter which is connected to the DISH VIP 211z Receiver and then talks to the TV via our inputs into the TV remote and DISH remote. We are unable to get a signal. Winegard tells us that they cannot guarantee a connection unless the Coaxial cable connects directly into the Power Inserter.
So... if we want TV we must run this cable through an open window??? (not fun in cold weather or hot weather because the window must remain partially open for the cable to pass through). This seems crazy to us. Our Montana dealer doesn't seem to have a clue. Our rig is a 2016 Montana High Country 5th Wheel that we live in full-time! Has this happened to anyone else and if so, how did you solve this challenge? Thanks. Gay and Gary Kimmel

gaykimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
The only thing I can think of is the source setting on the TV is it set to the proper source? Where is the 211Z plunged into the TV?
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
On my Tailgater ,like ya said the Antennae Coax gets plugged into the city water center marked "living room Sat" THEN in my coach on the Dish vip211 receiver I screwed the coax cable into the receiver then to the BOTTOM connection of the wall plate as the 2 connections were just marked "cable" so I had to guess(the top connection is for Campround Cable) THEN connect the HDMI cable to the TV and to the VIP211 and you are done
Old 07-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Try running a cable straight to the 211 box. Get it working then get it working through your camper cable. I used a multi tester to make sure all the cables were hooked up. Put a peice of steel wool in the end of the end of the cable to connect to inside and outside connector. It's not going to work until you get a cable straight through.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
As I said you have to set the source so the TV knows the 211Z is plugged into the HDMI port as apposed to the RCA import. Source showed show TV, HDMI, and several others like one for the DVD exc. Ok don't ask me how I know about this problem
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Dont know what a "power inserter" is. But the external sat connection should go direct to the living room for connection to the sat box with nothing in between. Here is a link to wiring diagrams. I am going on the assumption the High Country coax system is the same/similar to the Montana.

wiring diagrams
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah that threw me off a little too as I do not know what a power inserter is either
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Dont know what a "power inserter" is. But the external sat connection should go direct to the living room for connection to the sat box with nothing in between. Here is a link to wiring diagrams. I am going on the assumption the High Country coax system is the same/similar to the Montana.

wiring diagrams
Old 07-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
Hi Gay,

I'm going to assume the VIP211Z is hooked up to the TV with an HDMI cable, the TV has the proper HDMI input selected, and the dish has a clear un-obstructed view of the southern sky. To verify this, with the receiver green light on and the TV on, there should be some type of a display on the screen, not necessarily a satellite video. If that is not the case, that's the first problem to solve, correctly connecting the receiver to the TV.

Once you have the above working and you have a message about not being able to receiver a satellite signal you need to make sure the receiver has a good connection to the winegard dish. The first test is to hook a coax directly from the dish to the "satellite in" connection on the back of the receiver (run it through the door or a window). Now, unplug the receiver from the AC, wait 10 seconds and plug back in. In about 15 minutes you should be receiving a satellite channel. If this works (and I'm betting it will), it verifies all the hardware and connections to the TV are working correctly.

The next test is to hook the coax from the dish to the "Satellite Living Room" connection in the convenience center (where the water connections etc are located) and then connect another coax from the "Satellite" connection behind the Living Room TV to the VIP211 "Satellite In" connection. Now, do the power down, wait and turn back on like above.

If the coax in the trailer between the convenience center and the TV is good (I'm betting it is not) you should once again have a satellite picture in about 15 minutes. If you don't have a picture, the coax in the trailer or its connections is bad.

Keystone has been known to use a very low quality coax for this connection that has too much signal loss for the length of the run. I have this problem in our 2015 3160 and I know of several others that have had this issue as well. Short runs like the convenience center to the bed room seem to work ok most of the time.

The solution is to either replace the entire coax in the trailer (a major pain and requires removing the belly covering of the trailer) or put a shorter cable from the TV to the outside of the trailer.

Here's what I did, I ran a coax from the VIP211 directly through the bottom of the living room slide to the outside that hangs down a short distance. This is where I connect the coax from the dish. Be sure to keep the coax connection covered when not in use and while traveling to avoid getting it dirty.

Hopefully this will locate and correct the problem. If not you can PM me if you have more questions.

Happy viewing and traveling!

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:35 AM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I learned from a Dish tech when I first got mine 3 years ago that it helps to shorten the Tailgater coax to a QUALITY 25ft Quad wrap RG6 Coax instead of the cheap 50ft they give ya,because like Dave said above 50ft PLUS going all the way thru the coax in the trailer is a long way for a signal to go, It is really important for me because I live in the NW That is farther away from the Equator and it is harder for the Tailgater to "grab" the Satellites
Old 08-12-2016, 04:12 AM   #10
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
I had the same issues with the satellite and cable connections. The issue was the RG connectors. Whoever put them on the coax did not leave enough copper length to make the connection. I cut off the RGs, put new ones on with extended copper, and now they work fine.
boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
You might also try taking the wall plate off the wall and make sure the cable connection on the back is tight. Check the connection on the back of the convenience center wall. (Where the water hooks up.) Mine were all lose. If all else fails, you can try hooking it up thru the cable connection instead of the satellite connection. They are the same. Just know you can't use the antenna if you hook it up that way.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:14 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Easily installed RF connectors can be installed on the outside wall near the Sat Receivers , then run a short (6-8 ft) cable to the receiver. From there I recommend HDMI input to the television. I did this installation for the bedroom and living room (on a slide out). This skips all the unknowns about the Montana wiring. I would bet a local electronics store or shop could show you how to easily make cables as well as sell the correct cable, connectors and tools.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #13
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
I hooked up the G2 Satellite to the living room and then when I went inside and hooked up the short cable to living room satellite it would not work. I moved the cable over to the one that said cable and it worked fine. So when they label the connectors they marked them wrong. Not sure if that is your problem but worth looking at.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Two things I did, to make my satellite work right... First, make sure the antenna boost is NOT on. I used to leave this on accidently when I wasn't very good at aiming my satellite dish, gave up, then used the TV antenna. Then I'd have to remember to turn it off when I went back to my satellite.

The other thing is understanding the coax connection in the rig. It took a while, but a lot of hit and miss and I finally am now an expert at it. The baby steps I did was to first drag out the TV, receiver, cables and power cords to aim my dish and watch my progress on the adjacent receiver and TV connected to it. Then I created my own direct connection purchasing all the stuff I needed from a hardware store to create a separate direct connection from the satellite dish to a wall of my rig, then from the wall or the rig (using a switch plate(, to eliminate the unknowns of what was going on with the cables in the walls of the RV.

Over the years, I finally learned how the RV was wired and use its cabling just fine. I now have an HD satellite dish and two HD capable receivers on my HD flat screens - a 40" in the living room and a 25_ in the bedroom.

I wish I was close by to you and could help you figure it out. I have been known to help many in the campsites who are having difficulty. DW teases me, I should charge for the service but that would defeat the purpose of others wanting to do it alone, on the cheap, but might just need a "little assistance".

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote