Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
If you have a dog please read

I checked this out on Snopes.

If you have a dog PLEASE READ THIS!
If you don't have a dog -- forward to all you know who do have a dog as well as to those who love pets !!

This is true:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp

Warning to all dog owners - pass this on to everyone you can. Last Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24 Lb. dachshund, just as I normally do. Ten minutes later I walked into the den just in time to see her head inside the pocket of Katie's friend's purse. She had a guilty look on her face so I looked closer and saw a small package of sugar-free gum. It contained xylitol. I remembered that I had recently read that sugar-free gum can be deadly for dogs so I jumped on line and looked to see if xylitol was the ingredient. I found the first website below and it was the one. Next, I called
our vet. She said to bring her in immediately.

Unfortunately, it was still rush hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour to get there. Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet found another website to figure out the treatment. She took Chloe and said they would induce her to vomit, give her a charcoal drink to absorb the toxin (even though they don't think it works) then they would start an iv with dextrose. The xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very quickly. The second
thing that happens is liver failure. If that happens, even with aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them. She told us she would call us. Almost two hours later, the vet called and said that contents of her stomach
contained 2-3 gum wrappers and that her blood sugar had dropped from 90 to 59 in 30 minutes. She wanted us to take Chloe to another hospital that has a critical care unit operating around the clock. We picked her up and took her
there. They had us call the ASPCA poison control for a case number and for a donation, their doctors would direct Chloe's doctor on treatment. They would continue the iv, monitor her blood every other hour and then in 2 days
test her liver function. She ended up with a central line in her jugular vein since the one in her leg collapsed, just as our regular vet had feared. Chloe spent almost the entire weekend in the critical care hospital. After her blood sugar was stabilized ed, she came home yesterday. They ran all the tests again before they released her and so far, no sign of liver damage. Had I not seen her head in the purse, she probably would have died and we wouldn't even had known why.

Three vets told me this weekend, that they were amazed that I even knew about it since they are first learning about it too. Please tell everyone you know about xylitol and dogs. It may save another life

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks for posting this Dusty!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Your welcome!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
We lost our 12yr old Yorkie last month to brain cancer. We drove 714 miles to replace little Tyson. Our new male Yorkie is 3 and a half months old, Yahzi is a navajo name, meaning Little one. Thanks for the info we will keep a eye on him. Couldn't stand to loose another so soon. randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
So very sorry to hear of your loss. They sure pull our heart strings.
So glad you have a new puppy! That will help. It did for us when we lost our old Schnauzer.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dustytuu,

I'll add my thanks to your posting of the information. I did not know about that stuff being dangerous.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
OMG!

I am so sorry for you to go through this!

Thank you for the post......

Husband has sugur free gum in my car. I just went out and threw it away.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Thanks for the great information and we are glad you did not loose your furry friend.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
This didn't happen to our dogs. We don't use sugar free gum. But thought you all would like to know about this.