Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2016, 05:07 AM   #1
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
Two Dish receivers with a Pathway X2

Is anyone successfully using two receivers with the Winegard Pathway X2 antenna? We just upgraded our 211k for a Wally and bought a second 211z. Was able to successfully link Each receiver independently, but when using two coax cables connected to each receiver the primary would connect but the secondary will lock up during installation. I'm connecting direct to the receivers to eliminate RV wiring as a cause. Dish tech support said it was a local installation issue so I called a local guy who came out. He said he's never seen two receivers successfully installed to an X2 and won't sell that antenna. Grrrr. That's the only reason I bought the X2.

pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Paul,

AFAIK, the X2 will only see one satellite when trying to use both coax outputs. Have you tried tuning both receivers to the same channel? Have you called Winegard?

The shortcoming the the X2 and all portable antennas is that you are limited to one satellite at a time, therefore limiting the programming on the 2nd TV.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am not a Dish user, I am locked into DirecTV and unlikley to change. But I have friends with Dish and I like to keep current on its capabilities. I was reading another forum where somone had the your same problem with a Pathway and 2 receivers. There are apparently a couple of tricks to getting this to work correctly. But it does work. You will be limited to the second receiver only watching channels which come off the satellite pointed to by the primary receiver, but that is just a limitation of a single LNB antenna.

Give this a read and see if it helps Clicky

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
Carl, thank you for the link. I was initially aware that programming would have to be off the same satellite with two receivers. My difficulty is that I can only get the Dish setup to work with the first (primary) tv - the second one locks up during setup and just hangs - at various points, which is intriguing. Dish tech support was really of no help. They had two steps to follow before referring to a local installer. I tried to call Winegard support but they were closed for the holiday weekend and now we are in a heavily wooded campground where I can't get any reception, so will wait until we have a clear view again before I do more trouble shooting. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I have the G2 which should be similar in function and don't have any issues with two receivers. The only times i've had issues is when a cable is bad. I recall reading someplace that both receivers needed to be a Wally and they couldn't be mixed but that may be incorrect.

Did you try swapping cables and receiver order (ie make the bedroom receiver primary)? Where does the second one lock up? Does it get past the 1,2,3 process? Are both the primary and secondary doing the 3 step process or is either trying to do a 30+ step setup?
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:54 AM   #6
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by davidaf

Did you try swapping cables and receiver order (ie make the bedroom receiver primary)? Where does the second one lock up? Does it get past the 1,2,3 process? Are both the primary and secondary doing the 3 step process or is either trying to do a 30+ step setup?
Initially I set the Wally as the primary and the 211 as the secondary. The 211 locked up during the 1-2-3 process and I was never able to get to the Mobile Antenna setup screen where it asks for your location. That's when Dish tech support said I needed to call a local installer to ask them to troubleshoot why I couldn't get that screen (the first number they gave me the guy was very confused why tech support had referred me to him - he said it sounded like a Dish software problem). The second guy came out and made his comments about the antenna but I had just reversed the process and made the 211 primary. It installed fine and the Wally made it further - all the way to "acquiring signal" before it locked on that screen. That happened with the tech there, and he thought it was going to work but said, "if it does it will be the first time I've seen it happen" and then it locked on the acquiring signal.
So far it's not been too big of a deal - we are either watching in the LR or BR and I just swap cables. But it's not a clean installation with cables running through the Monty and it's been worth about 6 hours of troubleshooting so far. What I'm looking forward to is hooking up the external hard drive on the Wally for DVR capability that we haven't had,but I want to make sure the Wally is working like it should first. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:35 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
The X2 is a master/slave receiver setup. Meaning the master receiver is programmed for all the channels by redirecting the antenna (X2) to each satellite. The slave receiver can only access channels on the satellite that the master has selected. DISH will not tell you this in any clear terms. DISH just markets the antenna as a 2 receiver antenna. Kinda of true--like a lot of marketing!
Only solution for a 2 master setup is another separate antenna for the other receiver. Or get a large manually pointed antenna. OR maybe read a book!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote