Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived - Forum Information and Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
FireFox Help? SLOoooW

I saw there was a help/cure for the slow forum for IE users, but FireFox is also slow. I am currently on a broadband connection and can't see previous post pages. Picking a new topic takes forever to load if it will load, and this is not during a busy time....ARRRGGGHHHHH!

.....and of course the search feature doesn't work.

Any cures? suggestions?....hypothesis?

Robbie

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Robbie,

Try doing a speed test on your connection. This will give you your download and upload speed of your connection. Try http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/.

Lou
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not just Firefox but IE as well. Especially Sunday morning and again this morning. It has to be ForumCo as all other web sites load as they should. ForumCo picks the dumbest times to work on the forums. If it were me I'd be doing the work around 3 or 4 AM and not 8, 9 or 10 AM and surely not on a weekend.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Could I make a suggestion. I notice the slow complaints began several weeks ago about the time everyone started putting Christmas graphics in their signatures. Graphics take more band width. Could this be the reason?
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:18 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Same results here. Sometimes very slow, both firefox and IE. Sometimes speed is better. Most other sites are fine although a few are slow.

Sue, graphics can slow things down but I'm on a very fast broadband connection and they'd likely not be noticeable. Not at the download speeds I'm getting. On a dialup it might be more noticeable. Sometimes it is very slow when submitting a reply, which only returns the submission confirmation page, without graphics.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Like Steve said, the speed is fine. I can access huge sites like Amazon in "lightning speed" at peak hours. Yes, there is some slowness, but not like the experience on this forum.

Can anyone use the search? I have been trying to search my own posts, no luck.

Sue might be right about the graphics, maybe we could have the admins turn the graphics off for a day and see it that might be the problem.

I love this forum and sure hate to see it degrade like this. Could it get worse?....and when?

Robbie
Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Have had trouble with search for several weeks now, not sure that has anything to do with the grahics???? I have about given up on using the search, and I did so a LOT before. Last time I tried a search I did keyword search on something that I knew had been discussed in the last day, or at the most 2 days ago. Search results NADDA. I have stopped using it, and have stopped suggesting that others do so. This pains me!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:07 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Carol,

I feel your pain!

With not having the search feature working, we ALL will post the same OLD posts over and over....making this forum slower and slower....sounds like the old Catch-22.

I wish someone really knew what the problem was rather than us amateurs trying to fix something we know nothing about....I really don't want to complain, this forum is very wonderful!

Robbie
Old 12-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I'm not geeky enough to know the exact problem but I do know it has nothing to do with the graphics. I go to other sites that are a lot more graphic intense with no slow down. If anyone feels it is the graphics than they should turn off their own graphics.

To do that on IE go to...
Tools....Internet Options....Advanced....

Scroll down to Multimedia and UNcheck "Show Pictures"

Every so often we go through this forum slow down and shortly after things pick up speed I have noticed some type of change or upgrade to the forum. Try other ForumCo or Snitz forums and you will in all probility experience the same slow down.

BTW--Right now the forum is working like normal.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Glenn,

Hope ya are right that they fixed something today! And, I hope it was the search function. When it worked the way it did, ohhhh, 2 months ago (picking a number out of the hat, not sure when I noticed it was acting nasty, bad bad bad search engine! )

anyway, have not tried it, will not for a while, but, if anyone else does and can get it to produce, let me know. now, I am not the bestest at that, and had to usually try a few times, but I usually got something, lately - - no getta nuttin! SIGHH

Hey, we love the forum, if we did not, why would we feel blue when the net or the gateways or something does not work. Reminds, me, I need to check with my good gal friend who had pop something or other her email from web based gmail to outlook. Stopped working this weekend, she is not a happy camper, oooo, she is not a happy hoteler, she does not camp!
Old 12-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well Carol I just tried to do a search for "Snitz forums" and after a minute it is still searching..

still searching..

Finally timed out and
Quote:
quote:
Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/search.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.
It could not find a phrase "Snitz forums" used just one hour ago in this very thread.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OOOH, so, now I know why pages would not load after I posted my last message, you were jamming the system up with that snitz search!

OKKKKK, JUST KIDDING GUYS!!! I'll stop now before someone gets testy and starts slinging stuff at me again.

Forumco will figure it out sooner or later. And, I hope to be so busy for the next 2 weeks that I won't have any reason to try to search for anything other than where I stashed the Christmas gifts!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Try it at 2:30 AM. Really fast now.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:41 PM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Sue,

4:30 am Central time, searched for "torque", "tire" and "shade"..these are topics I am interested in finding information.

No luck, even in the archives. Darn.

Robbie