Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
travel question.

We are leaving Kalispell mt aug 1 for Island park ID my sil wants to Chill there for a month then on to Salt Lake City. Now I don't Chill well with nothing to do so I am thinking of someplace to visit for maybe 2.5 wks. I have been thinking of Cody Wy for a few days then on down towards salt lake city. I have never been that way before so just looking for suggestions we would need to be in SLC by the first of sept. also can you pull though yellowstone on 20 OK with the monty. that seems to be the best way. thanks
Bobby

scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Bobby,

Reminder, the top speed for the most part (there are just a couple of exceptions) in Yellowstone is 45, many places 25 and 35. Every trip we made into Yellowstone took a LONG time cause of the speeds, and the traffic. Those bison just don't like speeding tickets I guess.

Believe 20 is the road that they try to keep open all winter. I think I might call the park first, because there have been some road closures due to flooding, washed the roads out.

Also remember to check with State road departments 14 was closed over near Graybull while we were there due to the fact that the road was sliding down the hill.

You are going to pull some steep inclines with a lot of curves. Not sure you can double tow, if you have that toy along this trip. Call and ask.

We saw rigs, some large, driving through Yellowstone. Our take, after having driven it with Big Butt, we just were not interested in toting Tana through there, but, we are flat landers, eh???

Cody is still on our bucket list, so is Cheyenne, would love to be in Cheyenne during Cheyenne Day. J C Penney married his first wife Berta Hess there during that shingdig.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Since you are that close, a trip to Cody is worthwhile if for nothing more than the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. We made a whirlwind trip thru Cody years ago after leaving Yellowstone. It is in our plans to go back and spend a little more time in the BBHC.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks Bill I will remember that Cody sounds like a good place to visit.
Carol I also am a flatlander and I don't like to pull too big of hills with my old truck. don't have the cart so thats not a problem. I may just ride over for a day trip and ck out the city. also hope to get some advise from you and Al when we get closer to UT. I remember you had some suggestions when we were in SD. I am still planing so I still have time. Thanks Folks I need all the help I can get!!!
Bobby
Old 07-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bobby, We pulled our 3400 out the East entrance rd. hiway 20 and it was a fairly easy trip and WELL worth the time. Spendid scenery out that way and the road goes right into Cody. We stayed there a few days and really enjoyed it. I would not hesitate to do it again, one caution though is that this road is usually closed during winter. Check road conditions if travelling late in the year.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
A few years ago we entered Yellowstone from the south and exited on the West. In fact, we stayed at Island Park, ID at the Red Rock RV Park, and greatly enjoyed it. We had not one minutes difficulty on that portion of the great circle road with our RV. In fact, we could stop at the highlights WITH our RV [a Montana 2955] and so enjoyed that portion of Yellowstone even before we got to the RV park. As I am sure you know, there is about a 20 mile drive from Island Park to the West Gate. We did not find that a problem. One of the things we enjoyed was a "youth rodeo" just down the road from our RV park. There are some beautiful things to see over there in Idaho on day drives.

Some photos of that part of our trip:

http://dwilliamson.com/Yellowstone/Page.html
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Bobby, you know where to find me when those questions pop up. It will still be a few weeks before I get the Yellowstone photos and posts on the blog. I am still blogging about Monument Valley. Next Moab. Have a great time. We miss the hills and dales, the stunning scenery, and in southern Utah, all that COLOR!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
pathlestravel
Established Member

M.O.C. #7640
Bobby, we just left Kalispell last week and now are in Republic Wash. We left West Yellowstone about two weeks ago, and pulled the 3400 from Cody via the East entrance up to Canyon Village, through the center and down to the west entrance, that was the advice of the ranger at the gate and it was slow easy going, just the way I liked it.
Beautiful country, we stayed at Absaroka Bay RV park in Cody. It was real close, quiet. Went to the Rodeo couple nights, Buffalo Bill Musem was great, Lots of Firearms . Hope you will enjoy.
pathlestravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks Butch we are going to drive over to cody and see as much as we can may have to go a couple of times. but it sounds like it will be a lot of fun over there. we are leaving here the Ist and going west to spokane down though pendelton and on to island park just a little site seeing!! thanks again
Bobby
Old 07-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pathlestravel

Bobby, we just left Kalispell last week and now are in Republic Wash. We left West Yellowstone about two weeks ago, and pulled the 3400 from Cody via the East entrance up to Canyon Village, through the center and down to the west entrance, that was the advice of the ranger at the gate and it was slow easy going, just the way I liked it.
Beautiful country, we stayed at Absaroka Bay RV park in Cody. It was real close, quiet. Went to the Rodeo couple nights, Buffalo Bill Musem was great, Lots of Firearms . Hope you will enjoy.
NOBODY would just go to Republic on their own. You must know someone there, we did. Did you take the pass or come up the ferry (watch that ramp getting off/on).
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
pathlestravel
Established Member

M.O.C. #7640
I KNOW what you mean ! We came to visit my brothers whom I haven't seen in many years. We took 395 up to Boulder mtn pass. Sherman pass was a little more than I wanted. Its not going up that bothers me to much, just comming down.
pathlestravel is offline   Reply With Quote