Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Question Furnace sound Question

To us, in our 2011 3510RL, the furnace has a louder whine that after a period of time seems very loud to us (especially at night when asleep). I'm posting a link to a short video I made to record the sound of our furnace. We'd like to know if it sounds similar to everyone else's Montana. Not the blower noise in general, but the whine that is present. I figured I would ask opinions before I went through replacing the motor and possibly not have any improvement in the sound.

Furnace recording

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
It is really hard to tell when listening to your recording, what exactly is going on. I have only paid attention to ours when I happened to be outside when it was running and when I am in bed and I am about 3-4 feet higher and about 6 feet from the register in our bedroom and probably overall about 10 feet from where the furnace is...ie, under our shower floor. Your recording sounds like it was taken from a cell phone that was in contact with a hard surface...so more structure conducted noise than just what your ears would pickup from out of the air. We do hear ours run from the bed with a higher noise level added by the small vent in the bathroom floor by the toilet, which is 3 feet from the bed register. Every once in a great while, I think I hear what sounds like the furnace blower motor shaft making a slightly higher pitch...sort of like a bearing running a little rough...but it goes away after a minute or two. If you hear your same noise outside when the furnace is running, I would say you have a blower motor issue. But this is a guess of course. If you take the outside cover off, you should be able to see the blower motor and turn it by hand to see if you feel any roughness or drag as you do this. Also, running it briefly with this cover off should allow you to hear things in more detail. Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Thanks!

I was holding the cell phone just outside the intake under the fridge, so there wasn't any contact with anything solid. I'll have to go listen to see how loud it is outside the trailer. It's the higher pitch that is the issue. It doesn't vary in pitch at all (outside start up and shut down when the fan is speeding up or slowing down).
Old 05-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Well - i'd get a Tech out there that specializes in A/C - higher whine noises could be a restriction in airflow path or possible a bearing starting to go. The investment in the tech buys piece of mind or diverts a headache - food for thought... dang things, unlike us, don't last forever.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
DR,

I would run it until it gets worse and there is no question something is wrong.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
When we first bought our 3150 ... it had a high pitched whine while the furnace was running. Found out it was the floor vent in the bathroom. As long as it was open about 1/3 ... regular loud furnace ... close it and there was the loud furnace with the high pitched whine.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Thanks for the comments. I think I'll see if it gets any worse until I have to tear into it. I'll check the bathroom duct also.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
Frankjg

M.O.C. #21372
sounds like my montana furnace
Frankjg is offline   Reply With Quote