Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
New couple from Jaxsonville, FL

Greetings all,

My wife and I are two years from retirement and want to take our first year to travel the country. We just got started looking at the different options MH, 5th wheel, etc. I thought a MH was the best way to go but after looking at the Montana 5th wheel I am rethinking my approach. We like the space in the Montana vs any MH we have looked at so far.

For those of you that looked at both options, can you tell us why you opted for the 5th wheel?

I have many more questions but will post those in the appropriate categories.

Thanks

Rick & Barbara Osgood

osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
In our case we were looking at going full time so the space issue was a part of our decision. Secondly, we expect the coach to last a long time, the Tow Vehical probably not as long. We wanted our home to be separate from the mode of transportation, both from the standpoint of being able to replace the truck (power train) with something new and more efficient and also so that when the power train is in the shop we can still be living in our home. Motor homes have their advantages also and if I were you I'd go on the Good Sam forums in the motor home section and ask the same question the other way around. In our case we are currently helping a friend look at Class C motor homes (it's what's right for her) and have looked at some A's also but we are convinced that the Montana was the right decision for us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We finally decided upon the Montana fifth wheel over a motor home because we thought the Montana offered a "home on the road." In our opinion, with motor homes, you are always in the vehicle...look forward and you see the same setting you endured all day! With the fifth wheel, when you stop and set up, you leave the road behind and enter your home. This is how we see it...we are not in the business of selling RVs, so are only offering what was the main issue for us in making our decision...you will have to decide what your issues are and hopefully see a clear choice to address those issues. Good luck.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I can use my Tv when my 5er is parked. When my is parked what do you use?
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
The 5th wheel gave us more bang for the buck. A more residential feel and I didn't have to strain my neck watching TV. With either one you still need an extra vehicle and it was cheaper to maintain one engine than two.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Add # of tires to the list.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Extra room is a big one. Tall ceilings help reduce the claustraphobia. Also, being able to unhook the house and drive the nice truck around and use it for other tasks, even a daily driver if need be. Cost - you can get a REALLY nice truck and a REALLY nice fifth wheel for, depending on your A, probably a lot less especially if going diesel.

Have never driven a class A, but preferred the idea of a truck/trailer to a long motorhome pulling a car for manueverability and ease of towing.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote