Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Normal Propane usage???

How much Propane use is normal? We are here in AZ and the furnace is running quite a bit at night. We have a late 2006 3400RL with Artic Package, single pane windows and heating water with electricity. We are using over 7 gallons of Propane a week maybe more like 10 to 12 gallons. It seems like that is quite a bit when night time temps are in the low 40's and high 30's. Maybe that is normal.

Just wondering if I've got some leaks to find and seal up???

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We are in Alaska where the temps are obviously below freezing until May. We are keeping our fifth wheel (2007 3650RK) at 70 degrees very easily, heating the water with electricity and are filling our two propane tanks on average every 4 days or about 3 gallons a day. We also have the Arctic package. We have added Reflextix to the basement walls and ceiling, and the interior of our cabinets for added insulation. Hope that helps!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
When DW retired in Jan, 2005 her first trip request was for Myrtle Beach, SC. Temps were in 40's during day and below freezing at night. Used two 30 lb tanks of propane a week.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:53 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dean, As you know we were not to far from you in Apache Junction last winter and what you are describing was about normal for us. We keep a record of propane usage and at times we used a tank every 4 days. We used, and this is documented, 11 tanks of propane from December 15th 06 to March 5th 07 while in Az. Which is by the way one of the reasons we are in Florida this winter. We have used ONE tank of propane since December 1st, 07. While in Az kept the heat at 70 degrees and used electric for the fridge and hot water tank (since it was included) The furnace rarely runs here in Central Florida. Our lessons learned are that it is warmer in Florida than AZ, it is much less windy in Florida. Our Awning has been up twice here.I think it was down twice in Az. These campers OEM with no modifications for not so very cold weather do not live up to the marketing claims..none of them do...Today is a dismal day here in Florida (near Disney) Fog, Mist, occassional rain, outside temp 70.2 degrees, inside the 3400 temp 71.6 degrees high for today 77 degrees. I remember the furnace being on one night a couple of weeks ago. Az is beautiful
but off our winter stay list.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't think there is any "normal usage" that you can lay out as a guide because normal means different things to different people. Probably comparing usage to that of Richfaa will give you a pretty good guide. Some people like the inside heat higher and some lower. And of course, outside winds do make a difference. We found that we used about 7 gallons every 10-12 days in New Mexico in December. There the temps were down to 25° at night and 60° during the day.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Reporting on my oft-quoted brother who is living full time here in KC in a 26' Flagstaff. He is reporting 5 to 6 gal. a day in conjunction with the built-in fireplace heater and one small electric heater in the bedroom. He was told by long time residents in his park that the average for our area was 10 gal per day. He went through one ice storm where the ice was 1/4" thick on the sides of his trailer and kept the inside temps around 72 deg. I would say that 7 gal a week is pretty good. Bob & Karen
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We are in Arizona and were last year, too. Average is just over a tank a week.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We are also in Az and we don't use much propane. We have an electric heater in both ends of the trailer and we just pay the light bill. The cost is about the same and I don't have to stand in line to get the tanks filled each week. We have been here since the first week of Oct and are now on our 4th tank.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
We are in Yuma and we use about 1 tank per week. The park here has a propane service where they will pick up your bottle and return it. Cost is about 15 cents more per gal. than the out of park places. I usually take my tank when I am out to a place where there is very little waiting. Over the years I have also found the cost is about the same for using an electric heater or using the furnace. The electric heater can be quieter at night when you sleep.
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Thanks for all the informative responses. I guess our usage is around normal.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dean, your usage seems a bit high to me but maybe that's because we also supplement with electric heat. As to which is cheaper, it depends on the electricity cost per kwh. During our month in Benson we went from all electric to all propane and then settle on a blend. Our lows ranged from 19 to 40 with many in the upper 20's during the month.

One thing that really cut down on our electric bill was to switch the refrigerator to gas and the water heater to gas only. I tracked our electric usage daily for awhile and found those two appliances are electricity hogs but much more efficient, apparently, on propane.

Once we made those changes, our propane usage was about five to six gallons per week. Our electricity usage for 35 days was $118, at 14 cents per kwh. That includes weekly washer and dryer cycles for all our clothing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Surge guard PT-50C has a digital readout whereby we can see the amp draw on each leg of the 50 mp service. The hot water heater IS a amp hog using 10 amps when running.We use propane for the water heater now because it seems to keep the water hotter.Our electric here is also .14 per KWH and our bill for the month of December 540kwh at.14= 75.60 and that was with everything on electric. We keep the heat at 70 degrees and the A/C at 75 degrees. We used the A/C way more than the heat in December. We rarely use electric heaters as they are all amp hogs. The lowest we have is a oil filled convection heater that uses 9.62 amps on high,5.78 on med and 4.05 on low. Propane is 21.00 a refill here at the campground. We have filled 1 tank since the first of December.My propane tags on our bottles show 11 refills in Az last winter from Dec 5th to March 12th. Without being exactly precise that would be @ 80 gallons of propane in a bit over 3 months and about 7 gals a week. I thought that was high. Right now at 10:33 est outside temp 60 Degrees, inside temp 73.3 degrees, furnace set at 70 and has not come on yet.Both Tv's on, both lap tops on,normal lighting, the small freezer beside me is running, the hot water tank is on propane the fridge is on electric.I can see the PT 50C outside the window from the PC desk. Leg 1 3 amps, leg 2 5 amps. and so it goes...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:56 AM   #13
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We presently are not supplementing with electric heat. I think I need to start documenting actual usage so I have a better handle on this. Probably start a written log.