Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thumbs down Switchover Propane Valve

I really haven't liked the switchover valve on the new rig since we bought it. A couple of days ago the indicator was stuck half red and half green and since it was about time I switched to the other tank and when I took "empty" tank off it wasn't completely empty so I put it back on and switched it back. The next day the valve looked the same but I'd run the furnace all night so I took the tank off again and it had never taken anymore out of it. We're at Enchanted Trails RV Park in Albuquerque and they have a propane sales and a tech with repair parts etc. in one corner of the park. I took the "empty" tank over to get it filled and when he noticed it wasn't completely empty I mentioned that I didn't understand how the valve could be bad since it was only 2 years old. He took me around to his junk pile and there was at least a 5 gallon bucket full of the exact valve that was installed on my rig. He said that's how many he's replaced already this fall and that they had a wide variety of failures but were basically a junk valve. Mine now resides in his pile.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
propane valve

Can you post the make/brand model of the good replacement valve?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The one we used is a Marshall Excelsior, a company out of Michigan that make regulators for many kinds of propane situations. The model probably is MEGR-253, but I'm not positive because it's stamped on the back I believe and it's already installed. The company has been in this business for a long time and it's family owned.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Ours was leaking out the top the day we picked it up - Oct 31, 2017. Holiday World replaced it during my PDI. I purchased a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-9984 2-Stage Automatic Regulatorfrom AMZN to toss in the parts bag I now carry. You can find some info at https://www.pokrace.com/the-10-best-...er-valve-2018/
Old 10-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Thanks!

Thanks for the info!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote