Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #1
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
slide seal replacement

How does one replace the seal on the slide floor (short of dealer repair)? . . .
With all screws removed, seal does not budge... Keystone said talk to a dealership. One dealership is too busy, another responded by writing it was too hard to tell from pictures.
. . . Thanks for offering suggestions or alternatives.
. . . PS, asking for a friend ...

PSS - is my friend the first to have this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slidesealfloor1.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	4059  

Old 06-29-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
You may try youtube. Just search for the newest rv and go from there.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We had that happen on our 2010. It was just held on by a couple of screws and the adhesive on the back. It was peel and stick with cheap adhesive. If your's is the same do what I did. I glued it back in place with 3M automotive double side tape (used to hold trim on cars). Cleaned the metal and then put the tape on. It held for at least 40,000 miles until we traded the unit.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
Thanks DCDick and Slow Hand!
. . . I did watch some U-tubes, some were helpful!

. . . Dick, there are several screws, every 12 or so inches, into a 1/8" stiff metal "keeper" over the top of that seal... with all screws out, prying into the seal, nothing budged. Maybe I am too impatient, I ordered a universal 3" seal with a 1/2" strip of self stick on the seal back. I did NOT think of trying to cement the torn seal back to the job it was not doing.... the new universal seal will be here next week, but you have given me the way to remove and replace it!!! ... gonna use (instead of gentle persuasion) my hammer and bigger pry bar! It is going to come off!... Then I will replace original seal with one that is on order... I will place it beneath that heavier metal strip so it will have extra support like original seal... I had intended to just stick the new seal over the top of the old because of not being able to take old off, but now that I know the old seal will indeed come off, it will be gone!.... Thank you so much, this is what I was looking for in the way of help.
. . . I MEAN, I'll tell my friend what we can do to fix the problem.

See ya all at the Central Plains Regional Rally in Nebr.City the last of July, into Aug!.... hoping for a cool spell there.... well we can hope, can't we?
Old 07-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
Purchased 20ft, 3" wiper seal on ebay...
1.. cut thin, flimsy seal (1"wide, less than 1/8" thick) to glue n screw new over old.
2.. cut new seal to fit over old bed.
3.. removed screws, then cleaned old remaining seal n spray adhesive for new seal.
4.. wiper seal has 1/2" adhesive with covering, sprayed back of new seal to stick to old.
5.. MARKED each old screw hole to use for new
6.. remove 10-12" tape to stick over old seal, screw new seal in place using old holes (all but 3 or 4 were successfully reused.
NOTE - original seal was on a "C" channel seal, secured from top down before slide was installed.
. . . Pic of seal (back to show tape over adhesive)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190707_162516.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	4122  
alherbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal on slide floor