Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Mor/ryde falling apart

I rigged up here at Mouse Mountain RV Resort Wed PM. When I went to put jack stands under the Mor/ryde suspension between the wheels, I noticed shreds of rubber hanging down. I looked underneath and this is what I saw...

Curb side:
BAD Mor/Ryde 1
BAD Mor/Ryde 2
BAD Mor/Ryde 3

Street Side:
GOOD Mor/Ryde 1
GOOD Mor/Ryde 2

Apparently, the rubber slid down the metal plate it was supposed to be bonded with about 3-4 inches. I am sitting now for a few months, but this can't be good...

Obviously I will contact Keystone/Mor/ryde on this, but just wondering if anyone has had this experience. I don't recall reading about anything like this happening to anyone else.

I did not notice any difference in ride/towing. Of course, I don't ride in the 5ver while traveling, so how would one know? It doesn't lean to that side at all - that I noticed.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Holy cow Dave I did not realize you were talking about those rubber parts I thought it was the Hitch rubber (We PM'ed)
Wonder if some road trash got tangled up in there...???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Glad you didn't have any problems before you noticed this. Looks like the good (street) side may not be so good either with the cracks in the rubber. Looks like you probably would not see the separation on the bad side until it shifts down. If you get a chance while talking with them, be intersting to know if there is any maintenance procedure/process on that part of the suspension.

Thanks for putting the pictures up there for the rest of us.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dave,
Can you explain the reasoning of the jack stands on the Mor/ryde system besides the obvious. I use my jacks under the frame rails always. Any possibility the stresses (twisting effect??) from the jack stands could be impacting the rubber??? Just curious and definitely not condescending.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The good news is your Mission tires look good.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

dsprik

Dave that is terrible to see something like that and on a new rig. I would say that is a manufacturing problem in my book. The street side looks bad also, I would say it is time to call Mor/ryde and make some waves, that is a major problem. Good luck on getting it fixed.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Dave, those large cracks to me does not look good. Someone posted something about the inspection process and talked about the size of those cracks. When they get to a certain depth and width they should be replaced.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Dave if i were you i would remove the jack stands before i sent them to keystone or mor-ryde for a claim. They may try to say that is what caused the problem. Sorry for the problem but i would not give them any excuses for rebuttal.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Dave i would remove the stands before i sent pictures. Forgot to say pictures in last post.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,

I have the same question as a couple of the others..... why do you have your jack stand located where it is? My guess is that that very well may be causing the problem. If you REALLY want to know what is causing the problem then you will need to send in the pics showing the jacks. I would want to know what is actually causing the problem. If it is something I was doing then I'd want to know so I could stop doing it.

You are the first and only person to report this type of failure as far as I can remember. I do not have the MorRyde. So no help in comparison.

Good luck and be sure and keep us informed.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Regarding the jack stands: They have never been there before. When I do put them in, I put them on the frame in front of the both axles. It has been over a year since I have even done that, though. I had some wobble when I set up Wed and thought I would experiment by hand tightening these stands up to the suspension. Didn't seem to have any effect, so I have them in front now - remember, I noticed this situation when I went to try this here. No jack stand has ever been on that Mor/ryde box since it came out of the factory.

Sorry about that - I did not mean to confuse the issue with the jack stand in the pics.

Still... there is no way that any jack stand could have torn up that rubber like that through any misuse. That rubber is solid as a rock. Has to have happened from going down the road. Nothing else short of a jack hammer could even affect that material.

I have 7,000 miles on this 3400. It is 15 months old and I am not over my GVWR or GAWRs.

Yes, the "good" side does seem to worn, too. I will shoot pics to Mor/ryde, but I will call them first on Mon.

Rich, yes this is amazing that the Mor/ryde is torn up that bad, while those infamous Mission tires have not given me one lick of problem (except for one nail) and they have never lost one lb of air - ever.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dennis, good point on the cracks. However, the wear seems to be folds in the rubber as it seems to be shifting slightly (good side), not rips or cracks... Not sure what's going on.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #13
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Dave to bad you didn't notice it when you were in Goshen. I'm sure everybody would have had an education with the reps on this one. I'm sure they'll find a way to get it fixed.
Good luck.
PS. Maybe we'll get together this winter as we'll be down in Jan for a week of Continueing Education. I have to make resv for us before 11-1 for the best rates, flight and room.
Glad to see you made it back with no problems,
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:10 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You're right, Chuck. The Mor/ryde reps could have given a whole seminar on what happened to my suspension. I just finished a long trip from N. MI to FL through Lexington's Kentucky Horse Park, Gatlinburg, and Asheville areas - 12 days, 1,400 miles.

Not sure if this happened before then, or during the trip. I would never have noticed if I hadn't been trying my little experiment with those jacks trying to get rid of a little squawk I was having in the trailer when we walked around inside. Maybe would have seen it eventually, though. I look under there quite a bit. If it would have been there earlier, I would probably have seen it...

What I'm wondering is if this is an "end" situation, or if it is in the middle of still coming apart...

Let us know when you plan on being here. We can have lunch if you have time. Richfaa and others will be here then, too.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:19 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well Dave of course you have me under the camper on on rain soaked concrete doing a microscopic inspection of my Mor-Ryde RE system. Those rubber shear springs are some tough stuff what happened to yours has almost got to be a manufacturing defect and if it happened to you it has happened to others as what would the chances of just one set of shear springs being bad and both of them on your camper. A call to Mor Ryde is in order.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:11 AM   #16
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Dave what is your opinion on the horse park? Did you camp there?
I've been there many times just never camped there with a 5er.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:41 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Chuck, I sent a PM on the the KY Horse Park.