Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Practice and Testing Forum
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
jble
Established Member

M.O.C. #21655
wired backup camera ideas

Bought a wired backup camera for the Monty . I've got my wires run on the 5th wheel, with some patients and on the tv. Wondering what you have done for hooking the two together. Just thinking there has to be a better way of connecting and protecting the connections

jble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jble View Post
Bought a wired backup camera for the Monty . I've got my wires run on the 5th wheel, with some patients and on the tv. Wondering what you have done for hooking the two together. Just thinking there has to be a better way of connecting and protecting the connections
I plan to go wireless. To avoid all the hassles of running and protecting same. And use a full time monitoring camera rather than backup only. I wish we could have advised you before you bought a WIRED system!! There simply. Isn’t enough price or performance difference in today’s models to justify the hassle of installing a wired design

Best you can do for coax connections outside is get some electrical grease. You can use heat shrink and heat shrink connectors on splices that won’t be separated
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
jble
Established Member

M.O.C. #21655
I tried the wireless route, couldn't get it to work very well. Kept cutting out and a real blurry pic when it did work. It wasn't that bad running the wiring and I did get the observation camera. Bad wording on my part.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #4
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I have a hard wired system on my trailer. One on the back and two side cameras. They are routed to the front compartment. The three connect to a pig tail that has a plug that is mounted through the wall. From there it has a pig tail that connects there, then to the truck connection that is mounted below the bumper. The wire is run up under the truck and into the cab to connect to the multiplexer for the monitor. I run the cameras hot, so I can use the rear one as a rearview mirror.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:56 AM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jble View Post
I tried the wireless route, couldn't get it to work very well. Kept cutting out and a real blurry pic when it did work. It wasn't that bad running the wiring and I did get the observation camera. Bad wording on my part.
Did you have a signal booster??
Old 08-22-2018, 06:00 AM   #6
jble
Established Member

M.O.C. #21655
Gregn, how did you mount the wires under your bumper? Looking for ideas to keep them weather proof when not hooked up. Living in Michigan afraid they will catch alot of snow and slush in the winter.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:22 AM   #7
jble
Established Member

M.O.C. #21655
No, I didn't try a signal booster. Just figured if I went wired it would eliminate any signal problems.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
My wired connection is right over the wheel well at a plug on the inner side of the bed street side. When I latch the hitch and hook up the breakaway ... the camera plug is right there. I keep a little dielectric grease on the connection. I've used this connector for years this way with no issue. The newer wireless cameras may have been improved, but when I tried one a few years back it was in and out as far as reception. When I was traveling thru a town, many times I got feeds from people's security cameras showing several seconds of backyard or pool video. No, I didn't buy a repeater, but my fiver isn't that long and I didn't want to continue adding to my failing investment.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #9
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
The connection is covered by a cap that is attached to the plug. I attached the bracket for the plug to a hole that was already in the bottom of the bumper. Never had a problem with it getting wet, it has a little gasket to seal it. I use the Rearview Safety Cameras.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Like anything else when wireless cameras first came out there were issues for sure. But the new generation models have addressed most of those. From my perspective (having worked in industrial electronics) running wire (which I am darn good at) is a hassle and adds several potential failure points. Heck even my mobile Disco system has wireless control for the lighting. What used to take 3-4 hours to setup now goes up in 30-45minutes!!
Old 08-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #11
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I have a Ford OEM wired camera and TPMS system. It uses a connector that is right where your 7 pin is. The connection on the back of it has dielectric grease on it.

The only hard part on running the cable was removing the coloplast nails. Of course a creeper helps. It is rated for wire length for a 35 foot trailer but I had enough cable for a 41 foot Monty. Extensions are available on the web.

It is back up only.

Looked at the wireless Furrion with 7 inch screen. It states it has an open air range of 150 feet. It was attractive because is was an observation type. The manufacturer never states it will work on our Montys.
If you find someone that has your year make and model of camper and truck and it works, it will most likely work for you. If not, make sure you get it from a source with easy returns. Just in case.

Just because Montys are prewired, doesn't guarantee they will work.

Have not installed the sensors to verify the TPMS yet.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote