Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
Davidlawrence

M.O.C. #21861
TV

My living room tv gets only 8 channels while the bedroom gets 25. I ran a cable from bedroom to living room tv and received 25 channels. My friend gets only 3 channels in the living room and has it in to the dealer. Any one having this broblem. His is an 2018 and my is 2019.
Thanks

Davidlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
Probably a poorly installed coaxial fitting. You may have to dismantle the RV to find the issue.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
Big Z

M.O.C. #21346
I am as puzzled as you are about the TV wiring. We only get half our Directv channels when connected through the labeled coax port. Get all of them if I run the coax through window directly to receiver. Crawled into basement and opened panel to examine the switch/splitter. The connections were pretty loose but nothing much else seemed wrong. Maybe the splitter itself is the problem?
Big Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
DirecTV does not like any splitter except their own power passing ones. Bypass the splitter and I am sure things will improve DirecTV-wise.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Z View Post
I am as puzzled as you are about the TV wiring. We only get half our Directv channels when connected through the labeled coax port. Get all of them if I run the coax through window directly to receiver. Crawled into basement and opened panel to examine the switch/splitter. The connections were pretty loose but nothing much else seemed wrong. Maybe the splitter itself is the problem?
The only way to get reliable satellite TV is to run a dedicated cable from your antenna to the receiver. You get too much line loss going the through the wiring in the rig. You can do it through the window or run it out the slide. Before I added a dedicated cable, I by passed the splitter behind the convenience center. It worked after doing that but I could not longer do OTA or cable.

David likely has a different problem as the OTA TV or cable usually has higher power levels to handle the wiring in the rig. I would start there with a continuity tester to determine how his cable set up is wired. It is not typically done well on any brand.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The splitter is the problem with satellite TV, both Dish and Direct TV so it wouldn't surprise me if it interferes with OTA as well. If you want satellite to work with your interior cables you have to eleminate the splitter, tighten all the connections and use an antenna that provides it's own power like the winegard G2+.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
My OTA reception was terrible when we bought the rig new in 2006. Following advice from this forum I replaced every coax end with good compression ends. I think the tool and compression ends were less than $40 at Lowes. Fixed all my problems. We don't use satellite but know what others have stated, "It don't like splitters"
Old 07-02-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
My bedroom and outside TV's both work perfect on cable and over the air signals. The living room TV does not. Last trip I found two cable connections that literally were not crimped tight enough and came apart in my hands. That at least allowed me to get some fuzzy stations in the living room. I started messing around with the coaxial wires at the power amplifier in the bedroom and the rececption on the TV started working in the living room. Using the Dish Lil-Travler both TV's work great and the one outside doesn't work at all because it is not connected to the satellite wiring.

I am pretty sure I need to take the wad of wires apart by the bedroom TV and actually redo the crimps in them before my living room TV will work properly. You know quaility control on every unit. :-)

Tom Marty
Old 07-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I had both issues discussed here. The factory coax had loose fittings and a splitter that never did work. I did their warranty work on this and got it fixed. I should send them a bill. - Side note, the dealer wanted to pull off the ceiling panels to trace the coax. I said have a nice day and pulled the trailer out of there.

Second, the satellite wiring is a lost cause for several reasons. I installed a flush coax fitting to the slide with a 3 foot line straight to the satellite box. Bingo, strong satellite signal. Just don't close the slide with the exterior cable connected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0301.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1900  
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
I thnk Montan does a lousy job when installing the coax cables. Not being too sarcastic but it is the truth. I had no coax cables attached to the rear of the input ports in my 305RL at the satelite input and bedroom input. Called Montana and they pretty much brushed me off. took it in to a shop they recomended and they just disconnected the working coax from the antenna and made a direct link to the living room tv.. Of course I had to go back and have them redo it. Still having problems and it sounds like I am not only one with coax problems.
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
larry-n-steph
Established Member

M.O.C. #20410
I just finished tightening the coax fittings on the splitter behind the bedroom TV. I had the same problem as DAVIDLAWRENCE and now all three TVs get the same channels. You just have to remove the TV outlet to access the splitter.
larry-n-steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #12
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo123 View Post
I thnk Montan does a lousy job when installing the coax cables. Not being too sarcastic but it is the truth. I had no coax cables attached to the rear of the input ports in my 305RL at the satelite input and bedroom input. Called Montana and they pretty much brushed me off. took it in to a shop they recomended and they just disconnected the working coax from the antenna and made a direct link to the living room tv.. Of course I had to go back and have them redo it. Still having problems and it sounds like I am not only one with coax problems.
Keystone does no quality checks on coax (and hydraulic lines) at manufacturing. If you have the ability, redo cables yourself. On my 3160 any coax running above ceiling panels had no couplings so all connections can be reached. Forget the satellite connection in the convenience center and design your own connection from the box to the outside.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #13
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Great discussion folks. Several comments that may lead to solutions to my satv issues. Looks like I have some troubleshooting to do.
Thanks
DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:08 PM   #14
papasiemers
Established Member

M.O.C. #18345
TV coax cables

I don't know who installs the coax cables at the factory, but a little training wouldn't hurt. I found it necessary to replace a few of the fittings on the cable. At that point, I went ahead and replaced every one I could get my hands on. I would say that at least 50% were not properly installed.

No problems since.
papasiemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #15
Rbaker

M.O.C. #20674
Thumbs up Direct TV

I have the 3155rl with three tv's. I winter in Yuma, Az, I called direct tv they sent a tech out and he wired my camper in about thirty minutes with the genie equipment, to my surprise he actually complimented Montana for having all the tv hookups right.

I'm not impressed with the factory antenna if anyone has a good aftermarket antenna please let me know.

Off topic, which provider provides better cell phone coverage, service and reception ATT or Verizon?
Rbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
you might want to move the cell provider question to a new thread. Or you will be hijacking this one.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #17
jrmart77
Established Member

M.O.C. #17919
Montana Man,

Where did you purchase that flush coax fitting ?

Thanks
jrmart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #18
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
My 2012 3150RL came with both living room and bedroom satellite connections in the utility bay. My Winegard Traveler self-pointing antenna for the Dish satellite system works perfectly using the coach wiring.
laverdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:45 AM   #19
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmart77 View Post
Montana Man,

Where did you purchase that flush coax fitting ?

Thanks

The only place I found this was Kyle Switch Plates, p/n MHL-40550C-coax, for $16.95. Note, I reversed the coax connector just to have more clearance for a rubber cap. You will see what I mean if you get one.

The switch plate is made of metal in two pieces and spot welded together. Just to be the way I am with projects like this, I siliconed the back side along the welds to prevent water intrusion. Overkill but...
Old 07-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #20
jrmart77
Established Member

M.O.C. #17919
Thanks. Ordered one today.
jrmart77 is offline   Reply With Quote