Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Low Clearance

Not me!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:43 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wayne, Here in Casa Grande, on the way to the RV Dealer (Norris RV) on Florence Blvd, there is an underpass with train above. Going TO the dealer the clearance is clearly marked 14'. Coming FROM the dealer, (on the other side of the road), the dang thing is marked 13'3". I wonder how many folks have hit that one. (Note to self: Must find alternate way back home when I have my black tank replaced).

I guess it's a good thing that Keystone installs "Breakaway AC's" on their units!!!! I wonder if that's an option??????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Not me!

Careful Wayne, that’s a very strong statement. It would only happen though, if and when you weren’t thinking about it.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I cringe every time we approach any kind of over pass...as Phil stated, the numbers on any of these can be tricky.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Everytime we approach an overpass, Louise is always asking if we will fit. Being the jerk that I am, I usually say NO and keep going. Sometimes I will say OH NO and start slowing just before we go under the overpass. After seeing the video maybe I should stop joking around, though it does look pretty cool in reverse.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c214dick

Everytime we approach an overpass, Louise is always asking if we will fit. Being the jerk that I am, I usually say NO and keep going. Sometimes I will say OH NO and start slowing just before we go under the overpass. After seeing the video maybe I should stop joking around, though it does look pretty cool in reverse.
I don't know...a little humor on the road can go a long way...think I will give Camilla a scare now and then. Of course, sometimes once will be all I get.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
I think they were fortunate they only lost their air conditioner...
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Were I used to work, there was a railroad bridge that was only 10'6"! Even though it was clearly marked and had all kinds of advanced warning signs, it got hit a lot. One time, we heard a loud bang that actually shook our office. Turned out a garbage truck hit the bridge and was wedged underneath. We also saw a brand new appliance delivery truck lose it's top just like a sardine can.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
What really bothers me is that these people reproduce.

We were detoured once in a town and found we would end up going under an overpass clearly marked 11 ft 6 in. Luckily had a cemetery driveway to back into and turn around and work our way back to our route. Neighboring town has an overpass at less than 10 ft and about once every two years some idiot test its truthfulness.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I can almost guarantee that bridge is in Rhinelander Wisconsin right in front of the paper mill. If you look at the second part of the video you will see a yellow striped 12 inch I beam cutter beam that was installed after many idiots hit the bridge. The last time the truck knocked the RR bridge 10 inches off the base. They then installed the cutter beams to take out the problem just prior to the vehicle contacting the bridge itself. They added more signage in both directions and flashing lights. It still didn't work, within three days of reopening the road a delivery truck got "topped" and nailed with a VERY large fine. But it never hit the bridge's main structure. Dumb goes all the way to the bone....Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
So I just showed Louise the video with my original comments. She actually laughed at my response but did not like the video. Go figure.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Greetings Guys, anyone here use http://www.lowclearances.com/ in thier GPS's? I have been using it for two years and it works very well. My wife and I had a VERY bad experience three years ago in Niagara Falls. To make a long story short, we stopped in front of a 12' bridge (saw sign and did not attempt), called the state police and had to have them block traffic on an on ramp so we could back all the way back up. Trooper was not amused, but was very helpful. And no, no ticket. Since then travel with the Garmin with the Low Clearance POI installed.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobsals

Greetings Guys, anyone here use http://www.lowclearances.com/ in thier GPS's? I have been using it for two years and it works very well. My wife and I had a VERY bad experience three years ago in Niagara Falls. To make a long story short, we stopped in front of a 12' bridge (saw sign and did not attempt), called the state police and had to have them block traffic on an on ramp so we could back all the way back up. Trooper was not amused, but was very helpful. And no, no ticket. Since then travel with the Garmin with the Low Clearance POI installed.
Thanks for that info.... I didn't know such a thing existed for my Garmin. I am buying it today.

-Chris
cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote