Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Need Info

I would like to store my "Porta Bote" on the ladder of our 05 Monty when traveling. The bote is 10 ft. high, no problem and 1 ft wide and folds to 4" deep. and weighs 50 lbs. MY question is this: How deep do those screws holding the ladder go in? Can it support the weight? Any of your expert advise would be appreciated. Thank you

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Syplace,

We were told by a Keystone rep that anything on the ladders was subject to being lost. The screws are simply not designed to handle the weight of something being strapped to them. While it may weigh only 50 pounds when it starts bouncing up and down the weight gets multiplied and eventually weakens the screws that hold the ladder to the body of the trailer. He said that they turn down more claims because of that than any other issue.

We still see things riding back there so you can do it. But be aware of the risk involved. There are other alternatives we've seen. Dave Anderson used to have his strapped to the side of his rig. John De Castro carries his under his rig in a special box he had built. Another way might be to build a carrier on the back of the rig that is attached to the frame.

Almost anything would be better than attaching to the ladder.

We used to carry a bicycle there and had no problem but stopped after watching others stuff on the laddre jump up and down.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Thanks Hamrad. Do you think longer screws might me the answer?
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
LOnger won't help as there is nothing back there for longer bolts to attach to.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Syplace,

What Glenn said. There just isn't much for the screws to hang onto.

I'll try getting a picture or two of John's boat holder underneath his rig.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It wouldn't necessarily be the weight of the boat as much as the mass or surface area. That one day you get a crosswind would be the day you loose it on the highway along with your ladder.

There have been some posts where folks have suspended them underneath like the spare tire.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Several of us have a simple set of three brackets with rollers which allow you to easily store the Porta-Bote underneath the trailer. John's box also works well. I am pretty sure I posted some pictures of the brackets/rollers last year. If you can't find it, let me know and I will see if I still have the information. If you look closely at my signature photo you might be able to pick out the Bote hanging under the front of the trailer.

I would not use the ladder to support or attach anything other than a folding aluminum ladder.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote