Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
rmorris
Established Member

M.O.C. #21837
No Power to Microwave and Refrigerator Seems to be Running on LP

Hi we are newbies with a Montana high country 305RL. We used the microwave the other night and it was working . Then stop working while we were using it no power at all to the microwave. The refrigerator on auto but the LP light on as well so I assume no ac power to the refrigerator. We are on 50 amp service and seem to have electric for everything else AC lights etc all working I checked the fuse ox in the RVTrailer and everything seems OK with nothing tripped. I also turned on and off the microwave trip switch and put it back on. The only GCFI we could find was in the bathroom and that seemed OK as well. Any ideas on how to get the microwave working would be appreciated.

rmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I sounds like one side of the 50 amp is out. Happened to me one time I found one of the wires in the 50 amp plug (at the male end) had pulled loose. That's the plug at the pedestal or at the plug in at the rear of the rig.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
rmorris
Established Member

M.O.C. #21837
I checked both 50 amp breaker in RV and at power source are on. I wonder if there is another GFCI that I can't find( I have checked the one in the bathroom) .
Old 07-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The microwave is on a circuit breaker, not a fuse. And tripped circuit breakers are not always obvious just by looking. They do not flip over to the OFF side when tripped. They just move slightly off of the ON position. Check to see if any circuit breakers are tripped by pressing on the handle and see if it feels "soft", moving slightly. It would be one of the slave circuit breakers, not the main 50 amp. Probably a 20 amp. Sometimes circuit breakers get mislabeled as to their function.

We have two GFCI outlets, one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
rmorris
Established Member

M.O.C. #21837
Yes I did check all the breakers and twice for the one marked microwave which is 20 amp. They all seem fine I then took a fan to check the circuits in the kitchen all seem to work except for the microwave that is not working so my guess it is something to do with the breaker or electric circuit
Old 07-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Don't assume you can look at breakers and tell they are on. Best way to verify breakers are good is with a volt ohm meter.If you have verified both legs are getting to your breaker panel and all breakers are in the on position the next step to trouble shoot is get to the plug for the micro and test it with your fan or volt ohm meter. There is a cheap little cartridge fuse inside the micro wave that been known to blow. But first you have to determine if you have power up to the plug.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Try switching the breaker to the off position and snap it back to the on position.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Run an extension cord to the microwave to see if it works then.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Time to the DVOM and start checking circuits outs
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #10
rmorris
Established Member

M.O.C. #21837
Thanks everyone for responses. We have left our 305 at delearship for warranty repair. They believe it might be electrical junction box in slide out since refrigerator also does does not have electric
Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
We replaced our microwave about a year ago when it died. After returning from a trip to Vegas last January the new unit started working intermittently. Turned out we had hit a bump on IH 10 just east of Phoenix which had jarred the wiring to the microwave plug loose. Make sure that the repair shop traces the power supply from source to the microwave plug or you may lose the microwave on a future trip. Just my $.02.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote