Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Media Center, Direct TV & 32" HDTV in 3400RL

Have added a 32" Sony Bravia HDTV in place of the original 27" Analog TV and am using a portable Direct TV Dish with 3 LNB's for normal TV but also picks up several HD TV channels. 5 LNB's are required for local HD channels but since we are in AZ for 5 months we can't have local channels anyway. So have added another coxial cable input for local channels by replacing the land line phone connection through the entertainment slide wall with a coaxial feed through. Then run park TV cable to the HDTV directly on one of the 7 switchable video inputs on the Sony Bravia. Then ran the audio out of the HDTV to the Quest 3000 "audio 2" input so have Dolby 5.1 sound on the local channels too. Have the Direct TV H-20 Receiver sound coming to the Quest 3000 on "Audio 1" even though I have used a HDMI cable from the Sat Rcvr through a 3 way Terk HDMI switch directly to the HDTV. Provides the best overall Sat Video and Dolby 5.1 Sound that way.

Then used the S video output of the H-20 Sat Rcvr and the second pair of Audio Outputs from the H-20 Sat Rcvr and connected those to
the HP M9040N Media Center computer inputs. Video and sound from the computer is wired directly to the HDTV with a HDMI cable for best Video and the sound is then fed back from the HDTV to the Quest 3000 on "Audio 2" for Dolby 5.1 sound. So we can run the Sat TV signal directly to the HDTV or through the Computer back to the HDTV using the Terk automatic switch since we onl have one HDMI input on the HDTV.. This allows recording of HD shows on the computer for later viewing if needed. A "Tivo" substitute.

Now to avoid using mulitple remotes for all the equipment and having to remember all the equipment video and sound switch settings we have a Harmony 880 universal remote which has been programed to switch and control all the switching with all the other control goodies for:
1.) Local cable TV, some HD, with Dolby 5.1 Sound settings
2.) DirecTV Sat HDTV with Dolby 5.1
3.) Quest 3000 DVD video, FM & AM sound with Dolby 5.1
4.) HP Computer Media Center with HDTV and Dolby 5.1

Quite a bundle of different cabling and switches. However, it has become quite apparent that the Montana speakers are not up to the task. The sub woofer sets up sympathetic vibrations in the thin paneling used in areas of the cabinet above the TV. Not sure how I'm going to fix that. I'm a bit surprised that the Quest was able to accomodate all this, albeit a bit of a "Rube Goldberg" set up. I suspect better speakers will be the next upgrade but what I really would like as well is a better Home theater audio system with better video and audio switching and an upscaling DVD player. But....more $$$$$$$$$$$$. It actually doesn't take so much audio power in a 3400RL but the additional switching of audio and video sources and outputs sure would come in handy and be of higher quality.

Its been challenging but fun figuring out how to accomplish all this around the limitations of the Quest 3000 but it can be done. The factory speakers in the 3400RL are the weakest link at present.

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Post pictures!!! Great upgrade!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Here is how I am going to handle my audio/video center. It will control all your audio/video devices, is XM Radio ready and works with the $75 Harmon Kardon Bridge which allows you to have all of your CD's stored on an Apple I-Pod 80gb and play thru your RV stereo system. The 80gb will store about 350 music CD's on it. Let you have play lists etc. The Harmon Kardon also has a small remote sensor box so the receiver can be out of sight and you can send your remote signal to it with only a small 2x5 " or so infrared receiver box that can almost be unseen itself. This with a HD tv, HD DVD player and I-Pod bridge and you can have a complete home audio and theatre center. Just need to change the speaker system then. I included the details below. There are more advanced HK units but this covers the spectrum at a reasonable price.
HARMAN KARDON AVR-247 7.1 High-Current A/V Receiver with HDMI Switching. $499 at FRYS.com #: 5188286
Upscale video without an upscale price. The AVR 247 is our most affordable receiver that allows you to upscale incoming analog video signals to high-resolution 720p output or select two HDMI™ inputs for audio processing, all with a Simplay HD™-verified, single-wire connection to an HDMI-equipped display. And the sound? Pure Harman Kardon® audio, with the clarity possible only with EzSet/EQ™ technology and our high-current, ultrawide-bandwidth amplifier design.
Features

* 65 Watts x 2 Stereo Mode
* 50Watts x 7 Seven-Channel Surround Modes, Power per Individual Channel, All Channels Operating at Full Power
* High Instantaneous Current Capability (HCC) : ?35 Amps
* DCDi by Faroudja video processing engine for crisp, clear images
* Analog to digital video up-conversion to 720p through HDMI output
* 1080P Passthrough (HDMI Only)
* Inputs: 2 HDMI, 3 optical digital audio, 3 coaxial digital audio, 7 stereo audio, 5 S-video and 3 component video
* Outputs: 1 HDMI, 2 stereo audio, 2 S-video, 1 component video, 2 composite video, 1 optical digital audio, 1 coaxial digital audio and a headphone jack
* EzSet/EQ automated speaker setup for quick and easy connection
* Logic 7 creates multichannel sound for layers of rich audio
* AM/FM tuner with 30 station presets
* Multizone capability
* Compatible with Harman Kardon Bridge, an optional Apple® iPod™ dock (not included); charges your iPod when docked
* XM Ready
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, I just got through adding an HP 32" LCD HDTV, Yamaha AV Receiver (RXV661), Samsung Upconvert DVD Recorder (DVD R 155) and a set of Bose Acoustimass speakers including a subwoofer. Mounted TV on Articulating arm, widened the cabinet opening and still need to place moulding around opening. Had to install a brace for arm support but a local handyman was able to help me out. Oh, also added a Logitech Hamony 890 Remote that controls EVERYTHING, for a change. Will post pictures when I get time. I also have the Winegard Road Trip dome sat AND a DirecTV 5 LNB dish for those times when dome won't work.

Did find out that my dome is NOT HD so must add an additional box for that conversion. Dish, is HD but not set up at this time.......

So Far, all is working and sounding well.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
And here I sit FAT, DUMB and HAPPY with oem tv set and a remote.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
bigmurf, glad you are happy with your entertainment system as I am also. Thanks for your input.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote