Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Big Sky and frozen eggs

Sounds funny but true. While camping in Bellingham Washington we took all the fixings over to the kids house to make them breakfast and much to our surprise when we cracked the eggs they were all frozen hard.

When we went back I had purchased a temperature gage and was a little shocked to see that the temperature was below freezing in the refrigerator. I turned the controls down to 1, the lowest setting and watched it for a few days and it still hovered around freezing.

I then tried to contact Norcold and after being on hold over 45 minutes I gave up. I sent them an email on Monday requesting assistance as the dealer in the area I was at was out of business and I needed some answers ASAP. Well I did get a email back but it took them 5 days to answer and they told me I had to call and register my refrigerator, they number they gave me was the same number that I was stuck on hold with. Grrrrrrrrr...

A few days later the temperature started to rise so I turned it up, and kept turning it up until it reached 50 deg. and I was on the max setting. We are home now and I defrosted it as the fins inside were frozen over. I started it up on the lowest setting and the next morning it was, and still remains at 20 deg.

I turned it over to the dealer and lets see what they can do.

The reason I am writing this thread is if you have the Norcold unit it would be wise to check the temperature inside before you also have a problem.

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
RLDriver,

My understanding is that Norcold, like Dometic, uses a "THERMISTER" to control the on/off cycling of the cooling unit. If the thermister (a tiny transister that opens and closes a circuit based upon temperature) is not working, it will keep the circuit closed, thus making the cooling unit constantly running, thus in turn freezing in the refrig compartment. Any dealer should be able to diagnose and fix the problem. The thermister itself usually costs about 15 to 20 dollars. The wire runs from the electronic circuit board through the wall (usually back wall) of the refrig, then into the compartment. I just replaced mine myself on my Dometic to solve exactly the same problem as you had.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Well Dick, I guess when you invite people over for a cold beer or drink, you aren't kidding are you.. Sure would be nice to see you in BRANSON MAY 2008, If your refer isn't fixed by then there will be about 20 PLUS of us that will fix it for you. Safe Travesl my Friend John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote