Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
Don Hopkins
Established Member

M.O.C. #21639
Zone 1 ac not blowing cold

Hi all, just Got our 2014 Montana 3582 in April. AC was working fine on zone 1 and 2 when I picked it up. Now zone 1AC does not blow cold. I bought the extended warranty but was looking to see if there's anything I should check out 1st . Any suggestions?

Don Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
JPSimmons

M.O.C. #18675
We have a Montana 3582 as well. Purchased in 2013. Our Zone 1 AC unit quit working after returning from Alaska last summer. Had the unit replaced under extended warranty.
JPSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Could be lots of things. If you only have zone 1 on and turn the thermostat down to a very low number with the fan speed set to auto, can you hear the compressor kick in at all? If you can but only warm air comes out, then it's probably not something you can fix. It may not have worked when you bought it if you ran both ac's at the same time since they share a common duct system. You can remove the cover on the ac on top of the roof and make sure the condenser is not clogged with crap. Easy to tell if the only clean spot is a small circle where the blower fan directs most of its flow. If this is the case, the ac will blow warm air. Be gentle in cleaning it. I use a shop vac to suck the inside surface clean, then reverse the hose to blow air out the hose to blow out the fine dust that clogs up inside the fins.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Our front A/C quit blowing cold while in our first year. They found the Freon system failed, coolant oil everywhere. It was replaced under Dometic’s two year warranty. You probably need a tech person to check it out. Replacement most of the time is not a DIY project.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
Don Hopkins
Established Member

M.O.C. #21639
Thank you all so far, sounds like it was a good thing I bought the extended warranty. I will go on top and pull the cover off to check the coils. We will be going full time in the next couple of years. So much to learn. Hope to see you all in Goshen in September.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Cold Air coming from the unit should be 18 to 20 degrees cooler then the return air!
If less then that you have a problem! If the unit is a Dometic Brisk Air ii their have been some defective evaporator coils out their.I posted about a week ago with some details. First I would take those temps and confirm you have Dometic Brisk Air ii
You model years falls right into the time period
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
Don Hopkins
Established Member

M.O.C. #21639
Thanks, I pulled the cover off earlier today and no obvious issues there. I will check out the exact model tomorrow. Trying to find your post with more info. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hopkins View Post
Thanks, I pulled the cover off earlier today and no obvious issues there. I will check out the exact model tomorrow. Trying to find your post with more info. Thanks for the help.
Mark, You need to take the temperature s first step.When you remove the filter grate look up and
You will see the the name plate it is high you will need a flash light if you can not read you can peal it off becareful . This has model and serial
Old 06-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Don, I have sent you a private message detailing the Dometic Defective Evaporator Coils. Again first take those temps!

Ken
Old 06-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #10
Don Hopkins
Established Member

M.O.C. #21639
Thanks again Ken for all the information. I've been through all my manuals for the ac system and can't find anything that says it is a Brisk Air system. Even checked the label on the roof unit when I had the cover off. The intake air vent filters on the ceiling were completely plugged, cleaned them, but still not the least bit of cool air from the unit. Bedroom unit blows ice cold. I will just plan on taking it to Camping World. Thanks again. Gratefully, Don
Old 06-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Don, Have you read my Private Message?
Old 06-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #12
Don Hopkins
Established Member

M.O.C. #21639
I did sir. I don't have anything to take ambient temps with, just know there was no difference in temp coming out to going in. How do I know if it's the Brisk Air? I would send you my phone # as I like to just get to details. But I don't know how to send a private message. It's a hard site to figure out.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:13 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
I would send you my phone # as I like to just get to details. But I don't know how to send a private message. It's a hard site to figure out.
I was going to send you a Private Messages (PM) but I wasn't sure if you would be able to read it.

There are several ways to create and read PMs. I will try to explain the most common ways. Once you do one you will see how easy it is.

Every MOC page has the same standard header bar (for lack of a better name) at the top. Below is a sample.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MOC - Header Box.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1744

In the upper right hand corner is one place (in the red circle) which tells you if there are unread PMs and gets you to the service where you can send or receive them. If you have unread PMs there will be a count of them in bold font (I have 0 as you can tell). Click on the link and it will take you to the PM service.

The other way is by clicking on the User CP option on the left side of the header bar (also circled in red). Clicking on it will take you to a new screen.

Name:  MOC - PM Options.JPG
Views: 295
Size:  35.0 KB

Look in the left pane for the "Private Message" box (circled in red) where you can list (read) and send PMs.

You should have in your Inbox a PM from kdeiss, Click on it and at the bottom click of the "Reply" option where you can send them your phone number.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:23 AM   #14
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Don follow Carls instructions it is quit simple. I sent you a private message because this is a bullitin from Dometic with a lot of detail to large to post on the thread.
Again as Carl said when you sign on top right where it reads Welcome Don just below it click on
Private message
Old 06-08-2018, 05:53 AM   #15
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Don, when I reread your post i noticed you have an extended warranty. Sorry to put you through this exercise I was trying to prepare you for possible battle with Dometic.On your extended warrinty will be your Model and serial. Rather then have to take the unit to Camping World you could have a Dometic autherized mobile tech come to your site.Warrinity does not cover the Service call.May involve two calls.The tech comes takes those temps then a AMP reading.Submits to Dometic for approval then returns when they receive replacement unit from Dometic keep in mind the replacment is just the top of of the unit not the complete Ac.thinking Camping World is not going to have in Stock so their is going to be some wait time.So I suggest calling Dometic with your Warrinty info and get your Ducks in a row prior to going to Camping World or calling a mobile tech.Sorry for being so long winded! ..Ken
Old 06-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #16
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Don I am going to test your new skill! I replied to your Personal Message☺
Old 06-09-2018, 05:16 AM   #17
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Don, I replied to your message Ken
Old 06-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #18
Montana3725RL
Established Member

M.O.C. #13627
Quote:
Hi all, just Got our 2014 Montana 3582 in April. AC was working fine on zone 1 and 2 when I picked it up. Now zone 1AC does not blow cold. I bought the extended warranty but was looking to see if there's anything I should check out 1st . Any suggestions?
Ours stopped blowing cold right after the warranty, hopefully you get it fixed before it runs out.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #19
John Shasky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11165
Only noticed the AC problem the first times I hooked up to 30 amps. Went through the whole routine with Camping World Tucson AZ. Take a small mirror and put a flashlight in the return air duct pointing toward the center peak of the ceiling. Fiddle around with the mirror and light and see if your duct is collapsed. Mine was. Search this site for info on Ac duct for possible solutions. You could still have a bad AC unit. I did in addition to the duct problem. Had to go back to Camping world twice. They torqued the aC down too much and tweaked the AC. Had to install a second one with double gaskets. They wouldn't deal with the duct problem. I am thinking of installing larger intake grills and propping the duct open with something. Not sure what.
John Shasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #20
Don Hopkins
Established Member

M.O.C. #21639
Thanks John, good food for thought. Stayed in Monty at dealership the night I bought it because no one had the keys to it and had to wait tillnext morning to have new ones made. Plugged into 50 amp and ac worked fine. Have only had it hooked to my 30 amp I inverter generator at home and it hasn't worked. I had wondered about the 30 amp but when looking for a generator everyone said they could run 1 15k btu ac on 30 amp. My Monty has 2 ceiling returns in the living area. It's going to camping World tomorrow but won't be looked at until next week. Will make sure that's the 1st thing they check. Thanks for the tip.
Don Hopkins

Tags
maintenance and repairs