Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2018, 03:36 AM   #1
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
LCI Solid Step vs MORryde StepAbove Comparision

Well let me preface this with a little information. My wife has some mobility problems and after a few eye surgeries her depth perception is not always the best. She is finding the fold up stairs to be increasingly difficult to navigate. They do earn the nickname springboard.

We went to an RV Show in Austin yesterday so we were able to do side by side comparisons.

Both, when the feet are properly adjusted are solid to walk on.
As far as difficulty stowing and deploying, I felt they were close enough to be called the same.

She liked the Solid Steps better. I actually thought she would prefer the StepAbove because of the ability to add a handrail.

Why the Solid Step?
The StepAbove steps are not as deep. Her heel would sometimes not be on the step.
The saying about the first step is the toughest holds true here also.
The top step if the Solid Step is extra deep. Making it easier to make that first step out of the camper. Also on the StepAbove there is a bit of a lip that is a 90 jog at the top that her foot would catch on. The Solid Step has that same jog but theirs is a beveled edge and her foot did not catch. I believe it is to make clearance for the hinge.

So even though I was pushing the StepAbove because of the added handrail the Solid Step won out with her.

One other side note. If clearance is an issue when you are storing your unit or if your pad when camping is not always wide enough the Solid Steps feet are mounted so they do not extend as far out as the StepAbove's.

For me with not having any mobility issues yet. I found no compelling reason to go with one over the other.

What I do plan on doing is getting the handrail from MORryDe and adding it to the Solid Step and get the storage box from MORride to replace the folding steps.

I have not compared prices of the 2. We were merely looking at them from a functional point of view and how they apply to us.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #2
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Take a look at this very long thread: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=73040

That should answer your questions except for pricing, The Lippert Solid Steps are/were about 20 bucks more for that added top step that's 1-1/2 times as wide. My wife is much impressed with that feature.

One point that I didn't make in the noted thread was that I like where the Solid Step ground adjusting legs are mounted. Mechanically they are stronger and don't stick out beyond the bottom step as a tripping hazard.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Nice little review!! Our new unit has the MORryde steps already, which we think we will like. I want to add the handrail to them but only have 22" clearance from interior wall to steps when in stowed position,and the dealer doesn't know how far in the handrail goes in that position. IF I can't use their handrail,I will buy the other handle that replaces the outside one, it adds 10" of width from camper when extended.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Thanks, good review for folks considering changing steps.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
They have just came out with a Gen3 on the Solid Step. They improved on the leg adjustment. They now have a spring loaded pin.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Good information. Sounds like everyone at least agrees that the OEM steps are if not downright dangerous at the very least rickety.

Better steps are decidedly on our list of improvements.

One other thing. Right now Camping World has their Moyrride steps on sale for 200 (100 off) per a flyer we got in the mail late last week.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #7
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I have the Mor-Ryde steps with handrail. I believe mine are the 1st generation Mor-Ryde steps on account mine are designed to latch on to the rv and remove for storage. My wife has 2 artificial knees so i left it up to her to decide if she wanted it or not. Her major concern was the handrail and having a step that doesn't give. The Mor-Ryde provided both. The only drawback i have is storing it but it's not a major concern. I don't install the step when stopping for restroom breaks or when stopping for 1 night in most cases. It's hard to believe solid steps are just becoming a concern with the manufacture's and aftermarket. This should have been a priority 20 years ago. The rv industry is very slow to change.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Our 3791 came with the MORryde. We added the handrail. Works great for us. Solid. Easy to adjust. Folds easy and stows and fits fine. Just dust them off b4 folding into doorway. If we had have gone with a 16' wide RV cover instead of the 18' wide, I may not have had enough room to fold them open without parking off center on the pad.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Our 3791 came with the MORryde. We added the handrail. Works great for us. Solid. Easy to adjust. Folds easy and stows and fits fine. Just dust them off b4 folding into doorway. If we had have gone with a 16' wide RV cover instead of the 18' wide, I may not have had enough room to fold them open without parking off center on the pad.
I can see now that I will be building my storage bay at least 18’ wide! If you don’t have enough room for steps to come out you sure don’t have room to extend slides and we have to put at least one slide out for access!

If I already had a shed or parking spot I would modify it to accommodate these steps. It’s that big of an improvement!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote