Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
drphelps
Established Member

M.O.C. #4813
Filling water tank

Have a 2015 3725RL. Love the coach, but wondering how you fill the water tank if not connected to a water hose. What have you folks done to fill tanks without an outside fill?

drphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Some buy a separate 12 VDC water pump and pump from jugs into the inlet fitting just like you would fill using city water. Some connect your outside shower hose to your city water fill and attach a short hose to your winterizing fitting and suck it out of a jug into your fresh water tank using your existing 12VDC water pump.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Keystone must have a answer for this excellent design feature call them and ask them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Good luck on that one Rich!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
On my High Country the tank vent cover can be removed and water can be poured through the vent with a funnel. The vent cover on mine is an approx. 2x4 black cover that pulls off without tools. It is on the street side 3 or 4 feet from the rear.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Like was stated, pull the vent cover off the side of the coach, mine is on the drivers side rear. You can fill from there.

Mark
Old 05-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Not all of them have a removable vent cover. My '13 3400RL does not. I sure wish it did! This is a really stupid design decision by someone that has obviously never dry-camped in their life! Boneheads!
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:14 AM   #8
Hobos3
Established Member

M.O.C. #17637
Outside water fill ports and hook ups are really low in cost. Getting to the tank can be somewhat tricky but you can have a fill added. I can't imagine boon dock camping at the MOC Montana winter rally at Quartzite with out being able to resupply your water. Go to your dealer and get one installed.
Hobos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:01 AM   #9
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

Not all of them have a removable vent cover. My '13 3400RL does not. I sure wish it did! This is a really stupid design decision by someone that has obviously never dry-camped in their life! Boneheads!
Is this like your rig? If so grab that round topped cover on the back left side and pull it off, there's your vent/fill.

http://www.bluedogrv.com/product/use...400rl-415209-5

Mark
Old 05-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
No outside fill fitting? Can someone help me out here? How is the system designed to work without an outside fill? I want to know what to look for if/when we start looking at replacement rigs.
pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:27 AM   #11
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
same with me on the vent cover, mine is removalable, fill it from there if your is too.
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:51 AM   #12
drphelps
Established Member

M.O.C. #4813
Thakns all
drphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't understand this post. My '06 has a fill inlet right next the the hose fitting for a city water connection. Then you turn on a pump inside to be able to draw the water when needed. I am trying to figure out how to have a fresh water tank but no easy way to fill it. Doesn't make sense to me. Like some suggest, there's got to be some way to fill it, especially if all of your rigs are like mine the fresh water tank is the largest one in the Monty.

Figure this, I always camp where there's water and electric and have not boondocked for any length of time. So other than occassionally filling the fresh water tank for bio breaks if I have a long day's drive, I never have much use for the fresh water tank, but I'm glad I have it for just in case. Even now, on long trips we stop at truck stops or restaurants so I have no need to carry the weight of water in the tank.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #14
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
You can't fill through vent, because it's the vent water will not flow. Only way is to use the outside hose and pretend you are winterizing. I do it all the time with a 50 gallon bladder. It's funny as my unit is made for fulltimers. Lol
Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #15
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pugtracker

You can't fill through vent, because it's the vent water will not flow. Only way is to use the outside hose and pretend you are winterizing. I do it all the time with a 50 gallon bladder. It's funny as my unit is made for fulltimers. Lol
I have to respectfully disagree, I just used the vent to sanitize and fill the other day. I know it can be used to fill.

Mark
Old 05-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #16
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I with Art and the others. My vent area has hose fill port. Not sure what others are talking about. I also use that port to add my chlorine to sanitize.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:32 AM   #17
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
In the last couple of years most all RV manufacturers in the mid range on up units no longer have the outside door with the fresh water fill port that you stab your garden hose in. If you have a fresh water hose available and it is attached to your city water inlet ... there is a lever in the convenience center that you have to flip to divert the city water into the fresh water tank. If you don't have a city water hook up ... the engineers didn't think the "what next" thought out. Another example of the manufacturer saving $20 per unit at the expense of the user.
Like I mentioned earlier if you can't fill via the convience center lever ... a power fill can be done with the onboard 12VDC pump and a jug or you can pop off the FW tank vent cover and fill via a jug and funnel that way, but the vent hose is small and it takes a long time.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:50 AM   #18
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

In the last couple of years most all RV manufacturers in the mid range on up units no longer have the outside door with the fresh water fill port that you stab your garden hose in. If you have a fresh water hose available and it is attached to your city water inlet ... there is a lever in the convenience center that you have to flip to divert the city water into the fresh water tank. If you don't have a city water hook up ... the engineers didn't think the "what next" thought out. Another example of the manufacturer saving $20 per unit at the expense of the user.
Like I mentioned earlier if you can't fill via the convience center lever ... a power fill can be done with the onboard 12VDC pump and a jug or you can pop off the FW tank vent cover and fill via a jug and funnel that way, but the vent hose is small and it takes a long time.

I hear ya. If keystone would put out a here's how to do it when all you have is a 6 gallon jug of water or a bladder they could be heros.

Pretend you are going to winterize unit

1. Fill portable water source
2. Put hose in or attach to portable water source.
3. Attach to the convenience winterize 3/4 outlet
4. Turn on valves as if you were going to winterize and get a suction.
5. Once you have suction and water is flowing through outside shower hose you are ready to fill.
6.take shower hose attached it to city water fill and fill your water tank by flipping your lever to the fill position.

I have 50 gallon bladder and do this all the time. This of course is done with the modern convenience center.

Hope this helps. If I'm not clear just ask. Just pretend you are winterizing and it will become clear.

I also sanitize this way
Old 05-16-2016, 03:53 AM   #19
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MARK A

Quote:

I have to respectfully disagree, I just used the vent to sanitize and fill the other day. I know it can be used to fill.

Mark

I can't argue with what works for some. I tried it and water just won't flow down the half inch line with no other vent. Thanks great you can. Check out my power fill method I posted
Old 05-23-2016, 02:28 AM   #20
TAG51
Established Member

M.O.C. #17978
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MARK A

Quote:

Mark

I can't argue with what works for some. I tried it and water just won't flow down the half inch line with no other vent. Thanks great you can. Check out my power fill method I posted
Thanks for all the info. Using the winterizing port is rather ingenious. Does anyone know where a person can get a plumbing schematic? I've tried Keystone site with no luck.
TAG51 is offline   Reply With Quote