Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
DISH satellite

Being full-timers, we just got our King Tailgater and one receiver and activated the Dish for My RV service. Seems to be working pretty good. The Tailgater has the connection for a second receiver, but I'm wondering - can I purchase a Hopper DVR and use it in the Big Sky? I know Dish won't sell one, but there are several on ebay. I've heard of people taking their DVRs from there house and using them, but I don't know how they work and if Dish will activate it for me.

Any help is appreciated.

Gina

Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't know about Dish but we take our home Directv receivers with us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I will admit that I do tend to get away with stuff that others can't, but I threatened to go to Direct if I couldn't get a Hopper and since we had a physical address at our RV home base, Dish installed the Hopper and one Joey in our rig. With folks like Dish and Verizon I only do business by chat. That way whatever they promise I can print out and hold them to it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We have Dish, using the Travler on the roof, and have two 211k boxes. We have the Western Digital 1 TB hard drive on one of the boxes, so have DVR function. Decided we didn't need DVR function on the second box, but another hard drive would give us added DVR capacity. Had full function wireless DVR in the house before going fulltime, and it was nice, but life is not as complicated now, so no need to make it more so now.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
andylparish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17188
We take our Directv Genie DVR and one Genie mini with us when we go. No need to leave at stick and brick with no one here.
Mountain Home, Arkansas
andylparish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Gina,

To answer your question, no the tailgater will not work with the Hopper.

The reason is that the tailgater uses software to access the three satellites. It cannot see all three at once. The Hopper requires all three and a node installed in line for it to work. The only way for the Hopper to function is to use a roof mounted Traveler or a portable dish (the large Dish 1000, mounted on a tripod) with 3 LNB's. The latter is what I travel with. I take my Hopper & Joey from the house and use it on the road.

I used to travel with a tailgater and a VIP211. There is a Dish solution to having a DVR with this setup. You can attach an external hard disk and it will perform exactly like an internal DVR. Dish charges a one time activation. You can purchase your own external hard disk. The older VIP211k didn't have a powered usb port so Dish requires an external hard disk with its own power supply. I believe that the newer VIP211z has a powered usb port so the external hard disk does not need to have its own power supply.

Hope that helps,

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #7
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
ken - I have the external HD and have it activated. I know I can get another one, but just thought the Hopper already had the record capability and I can get one on ebay cheaper than another receiver+HD. If it won't work with my Tailgater, it won't matter.

Thanks, everybody. I knew I could get the answers here.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
15 15
Established Member

M.O.C. #17186
Hi. We have a 2015 Monty 3400. We added a Dish with a tailgater on 5 5 15, Sat worked at home when installed. Went camping 3 different places, Sad wouldnt work " Not all channels foun." Got home took rig to CW they had to rewire the co-ax cable. Sat works good. Ran new cable through the basement. Said old cable ran in roof, the LED lights set up an R-F frenquiency in cable in ceiling ?...
15 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #9
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Gina,

I just checked the specs on the King Tailgater. Although it does support a second receiver, you can only view one satellite at a time. Therefore you would have a conflict if your trying to watch 2 different programs unless they are transmitted from the same satellite. Check out the specs: http://kingconnect.com/product/king-tailgater-2/

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:57 AM   #10
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Dick - What kind of dish do you have on your fiver that allows you to use the Hopper?

Ken - I know I can only watch/record one show at a time with the current setup. Of course, I can always record on Dish and watch a different show on antenna.