Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Emergency Trailer Brake Disconnect!

Well we definitely got a surprise on Monday!

On our way out of Moore, OK after getting our steps fixed on the recall we started heading out on I-35 North to begin our trek to our workamping gig in SD when a car pulls along side madly beeping the horn. The guy rolls his window down and said there smoke coming from the back of the trailer!

I looked and could barely see any smoke but pulled over immediately where is was safe....sure enough the trailer wheels were smoking on both sides.

I ran back to the truck cab to get the fire extinguisher just in case and noticed the trailer brake controller was blinking red showing a short and no battery connection.

I checked the trailer plug and turned everything off and back on but to no avail. I started checking all around the wheels to see if something had cut a wire, etc. Nothing!

Then as I was walking back to the truck I noticed that on the hitch a black pin hanging next to the trailer brake emergency disconnect.

Turns out that the disconnect cable had gotten pinched in the air bag on the hitch and I am guessing when I made the sharp turn out of the dealer and onto the I-35 ramp it pulled the pin, thus engaging the trailer brakes.

Since the ramp was going up to the highway it did not even seem different when Bigboomer was pulling the Monty, but then again we barely feel the trailer behind us anyway.

The brakes heated up pretty quick and thus the smoking. As soon as I put the pin back in the brake controller went back to normal.

I let the trailer sit for a few minutes so the brakes could cool and we were off again.

I now have a new item on the check list every time we stop for fuel or rest to double check and have also found a new tie off point for the cable to keep it away from the hitch.

At least we know the emergency trailer brakes work now!

Old 04-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had that happen to us turning in to get gas in Missouri years ago. We weren't going down the road but I was safely turning in front of several semi's. As you know, we don't have a big Boomer and as a result my safe turning distance became just enough room. As a result of that and an idea on the forum our emergency brake cable now has a 1/2" piece of clear tubing on it and so far (several years) we haven't had a recurrence.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow! You have such a capable tow vehicle that the trailer brakes locking up isn't noticeable. When I lock my trailer brakes it stops my truck and I can really feel it. Of course, that's at slow speed when I check them. But, I have a feeling my little truck would feel my trailer brakes at any speed.

I guess all you risk is that the trailer brake shoes have shorter lives now. Take care and I hope that never happens again!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Happened to us when we were pulling out from a side road onto a two lane highway. Brakes locked up tight and we were blocking both lanes. Did not think to check the emergency brake hookup, just crawled under the trailer and cut the wiring at the axle to release the brakes. Was in a panic blocking the road. Cable had gotten tangled up in the hitch. Splicing chore that evening at the campground.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I put a loop in my cable to take up the slack and keep it as much out of the way as possible. No problem yet. Have been thinking about getting one of those springy cables. Think I will proceed with that plan now that it is on my mind.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #6
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago when I took the trailer to had the wheels packed. Pulled into Les Schawb then when pulling into parking spot then BAM.... Took me 30 seconds to figure out what happened.. Put the pin back in a was good to go..
Old 04-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I've used a couple of screen door springs to hold light tension on the cables and keep it up and out of the way of the hitch and the gear in the truck bed.

The springs are about 12" long and fairly light with an eye in each end. A few Tyraps , BLACK, and it's done.

I had the E cable pulled a couple times, sharp turns at slow speed, but once I used the springs, no more.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:57 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
You should check (or have checked) your brakes for damage! Possible issues: damaged shoes, damaged drums and damaged magnets. Besides the obvious problem of wear on the shoes, the heat could have caused glazing on the shoes and/or hard spots on the drums. Also, prolonged activation can cause the magnets to burn out. Last, but certainly not least, high heat can cause the grease in the hubs to liquify, expand, blow out a seal and leak.

I hope none of this has happened, but you really should check to be sure.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:42 AM   #9
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I doubt bigboomer needs any braking assist from the monty, but nice to know all is well with trailer parts. My cable flops in the bed and I have been meaning to do something so now I will. John
Old 05-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
did it with our new montana....montana replaced all four brakes.....thank god.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote