Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2015, 03:28 AM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
replace black tank

If the snow every melts away i will be installing a new black tank. I need to cut the inlet and vent hole in the tank, then install the two fittings to the tank. So, anybody who has installed fittings or fixed a tank with glue your the guys i'm leaning on. I did do some reading and it seem acetone bonds ABS plastic, has anybody ever tried acetone? I also checked out the rubber fittings similar to a furnco type connector, but also read they don't work so good.
Thanks for your time

kevin

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:52 AM   #2
commish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14397
If you shave some ABS you can melt it with acetone to make a past that works great as a glue... Good luck with your repair.
commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Save yourself the hassle and just go to the hardware store and buy ABS glue that is used for ABS plumbing fittings.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I've used furnco connectors for years in about every application other than an RV. First time I have ever heard "they don't work so good". I'll continue to trust them until someone shows a specific failed situation. Jim
Old 03-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimcol

I've used furnco connectors for years in about every application other than an RV. First time I have ever heard "they don't work so good". I'll continue to trust them until someone shows a specific failed situation. Jim
Let me try again Furnco's are good! the connector from the inlet pipe to the tank is similar to a furnco fitting. it gets kind of plugged into the tank no mechanical fastener. was told by a couple people the didn't work very well.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Do you really want to reinvent the wheel with a black tank installation? A failure will be a huge mess and another big pile of work [////] to fix it. Save the headaches. The ABS pipe cement sold at the plumbing supply works, has worked for many years. It is NOT just a solvent.

And simply acetone will likely do a lousy job. One of the reasons the CEMENT is thick is to slow down the evaporation of the solvent so it has time to dissolve some of the pipe and fitting walls and to fill any possible gaps, small as they may be. You mildly twist the fitting onto the pipe so the whole dissolved mass blends so not to leave any tiny escape passage which can happen if the parts are simply shoved together.

Do not be chintzy with the cement as a dry joint WILL FAIL. You don't need it running all over the place but the pipe end and the fitting interior should be WET with cement.

clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:54 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When we had our first tank failure on our 06 3400 we actually called the tank vendor and asked them what to use to repair their tank. It was a long time ago and I do not remember the fix but it worked. We had later failures on other tanks and replaced all of them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:49 AM   #8
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
thanks everyone, looks like i'll be off to Lowes for some ABS cement.

kevin