Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2014, 02:45 AM   #1
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Closet Doors have fallen apart ... AGAIN

Well, they have fallen apart again....the 4th time.

Are any of you guys having the same problem with the new doors? They break the plastic snaps at the top and then they fall off the tracks.

These are the closet doors that they starting using in 2013. The wood/mirrored 4 panel sections.

mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:21 AM   #2
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
The upper right hand wheel on my right door keeps coming off the track, but the door stays in place. The dealer put snaps at the top and bottom of both door and I put several small strips of Gorilla Tape at the top in the track of the right hand side of the troublesome wheel, which forces the wheel down into the track when in the fully closed position, thus solving the problem while we are currently on the road. When I get back, I plan to address the issue yet again with the Rocket scientists at my dealer!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We did a mod on ours that works well. Take the doors down. At the top where the metal slots are, at the narrow end of the slot , drill a small starter hole in the wood. Install a 1 in wood screw in the hole, allowing 1/8 in of the screw to remain exposed. Do this at all locations. As you rehang doors, use nylon zip ties to bind the roller post to the screw to prevent loosening. Make sure the Teflon keepers at the bottom are snapped firmly into tracks, this is a little difficult, but you should hear a loud snap when it goes into the rail. Then, put a cup hook inside the closet beyond the doors farther reach. Now put a cup hook on the outside of the closet in an inconspicuous place. Before travel, use a bungee from hook to hook to hold doors open and still. Has worked really well for us.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
The tracks or wheels is about the only thing I haven't had problems with on these new doors. At delivery the left side quarter round interior trim, which helps prevent the door from sliding all the way across, came off. Lazy Days carpenter shop guys fixed it. Two months later is started coming off again. I re-installed all of it on both sides, this time instead of using air nailer I used screws and OSI silicon. My next project will be to make two straps for each side so I can keep doors secured in the open position while traveling. Just looking at the design of these doors I know I will have future problems if I continue to tow with them latched closed.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:46 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sounds like we need to apply for jobs on the Montana assembly line as we know how to put these things together and they do not.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
It sounds more like Keystone should start paying attention to this and other forums, to get advice on how to assemble their products correctly. Who knows, maybe they would save a bundle not having to pay for warranty work on poorly assembled trailers.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Our Dealer put a track on the floor for the doors so they do not swing back and forth--don't come off the track anymore, except for the time the little "lever" came loose from around the "peg" that it fits around--don't laugh but I(Jan) used a Twisty tie around it to keep it from moving and it works
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I find it curious that four of the folks with problems with their closet doors all have 2013 or 2014 models. Sometimes changes are not for the best especially when they cheap out in the design and build.

Instead of improving the product it appears to me there are more problems with the newer models than the older ones. I have had my share of fun but would not trade my current one straight across for a new one, not after all the things I have fixed and as future things come up I will just continue to fix them myself, at least my unit is not tied up in some dealership for long periods of time with work being performed by people with less knowledge than I have.

When you pay the kind of money some have paid for their new Montana Big Sky's and others you should not have to be bubble gumming it together or modifying crappy design and workmanship.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:21 AM   #9
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Hook helped me mod my 3402RL and now we travel with it bungeed open. No problems since that mod.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We use the jpkelpe twist-tie solution to keep the little Teflon keepers in place and Hooks bungie cord solution to keep those middle doors sandwiched in the open position while driving. Eddie I suggest not repairing the doors and just put up bamboo or beaded curtains then have a glass of wine and watch them sway as Sandy walks around in the Montana.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
We've had this problem since January 2013 when we got our 2013 3625. Last November when we got to FL, stopped at LazyFays to get it fixed. They put the side boards on the inner door on with longer nails. We left and drove about 25 miles to our winter RV park, and they had come apart on the way. So now, we travel with the doors open with a laundry basket securing one and the bed throw pillows for the other. We have the center cabinet/laundry basket so it works.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:45 AM   #12
TedBarny50

M.O.C. #29412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recumbent View Post
We use the jpkelpe twist-tie solution to keep the little Teflon keepers in place and Hooks bungie cord solution to keep those middle doors sandwiched in the open position while driving. Eddie I suggest not repairing the doors and just put up bamboo beaded curtains then have a glass of wine and watch them sway as Sandy walks around in the Montana.
I know this thread is old But I want to say this idea is very good for me, because bamboo beaded curtains are very useful for
TedBarny50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:18 AM   #13
mountain high top
Established Member

M.O.C. #31448
We have a 2014 Montana with these same kind of doors. we bought this fifth wheel as a second owner and previous owner told about the problem with these doors…the doors came off the track on our girst trip and did some damage to the trim in inside of closet that were acting as door stops… I didn’t want this to continue and considered this a Keystone design problem. I decided to add mounting hardware to the closet opening so that the closet doors were bungeed down to the open position and no more problem. I know it is a okie fix but works for me… when we arrive at our campsite we unbungee the doors and we are back in business with the doors working properly
mountain high top is offline   Reply With Quote