Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #41
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Desert RVer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana3800RE

UPDATE...Contacted Keystone this morning, here we go again, they want the weight of the trailer on and off the TV, also taking it to a dealer, not the same one that did the quick fix before and they will be taking pictures etc. and sending them to Keystone. When calling the dealership the gentleman was very nice, understood my problem, agreed they use to light of material in the goose neck area, wow they usually don't stick there foot in there mouth that way to protect them selves and the manafacturer. I told him that I would like to see the gn material replaced or beefed up with heaver material so we will see what Keystone will do. If they plan on doing the same quick fix, IT WILL NOT WORK and it will happen again no doubt as I will fight to have something done differently.

Irlpguy, Carl and every one else that has had this problem and the ones that have not, keep a good eye out in your wardrobe cabinets comming apart, exterior molding moving or caulking seperated from side wall etc. As mentioned, I have 1 1/2" of upward movement on my king pin before the landing gear leaves the ground, and alot of creaking etc.

As Carl said, I would also love to get rid of the POS and move on, but I would take a big hit on what I paid, and I also would never find a floor plan like I have as Montana builds the best floor plans on the market.

Thanks to all for your support as we all have worked our A** off to have the finer things in life, and the Montana sure is not standing up for what they advertise, that's for sure!

Totally understand your frustration. We have been there done that. Our experience has been so negative we will never ever buy another RV again.
Another UPDATE

Yesterday, stopped by the dealer that will be doing the repairs again, alot of pictures taken inside and out to give to Keystone. I gave my 2 cents worth on my thoughts on repair or replacement of metal under goose neck as I told him I did not want it repaired again like it was done before as it will do it agian and again.

Here I sit in my cozy little Montana thinking as I type this how pretty and nice this unit seems inside, but underneath all this cozy fuzzy feeling is really the guts of a poorly constructed, weak, unsafe trailer to be towing down the road. If I can help it, I will never buy another LIPPERT frame trailer again, let alone a KEYSTONE.

We take pride in the things we own and take very good care of them, we have 8 bays in 2 buildings that we store our hard earnings in and this Montana does not deserve to be taking up any of that valuable space in my opnion........

Sorry to you hard core MONTANA folks but put youself in my shoes that I am the one that has to run this thing around at my expense and time and be without so far for 4 months while being worked on doing Keystone's (Half A** Fram Flex Fix)

Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Please send these pictures up to Keystone customer service... I sent you the e mail addresses via PM/
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #43
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
The frame flex problem is not new...this problem was evident years ago. Unfortunately keystone has not corrected it.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They tried. They added some extra gussets in I think the 2005 model year as we have pictures from the factory tour.Guess it was not enough.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #45
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
I've come to the conclusion that RV's are built up to standards appropriate for the casual two or three weekends a year user. Then it takes several years for the kind of problems we heavy users experience in the first year. As long as the RV manufacturers can get by with it and we keep buying them as they currently are built nothing will change. Most of the problems show up for a majority of the typical owners after the warranty is up and the manufacturer is off the hook. A sick business model!
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #46
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You got it desert Rver. I was told that very same thing by a high management person in the RV industry. The majority of Rv'ers and Montana users are casual users. I had stated several times before that we had four Rv's before our first Montana over a period of 15 years and we put more miles on that 06 3400 in one year than we put on all of the previous four combined.

The Rv manufacturers build for the Average RV user and that is not many of us. I will say that this 13 3402 Big sky is a better built unit than that 06 3400. But still to many workmanship issues.