Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
How long to charge batteries?

Hello,

I finally got hooked up to a 110 outlet. I have two six-volts, but don't remember what the amp hours are. Approximately how long will it take to charge the batteries if they were completely dead on arrival? Just a ballpark I'm looking for.

Thanks very much!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Wow, that's a hard one to answer. Dead doesn't necessarily mean dead when talking about batteries. If they are truly dead, they most likely can't be charged up. If they are severely discharged and will take a charge, it could take many hours. If they a discharged to where they won't run anything, but will still light a light bulb dimly you're still talking about several hours to charge up 2 6 volts wired to create 12 volts. Sorry, just no easy answer. Several hours is all anyone can suggest.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
If you have a battery hydrometer, you can check the acid level before you start charging the batteries, one at a time- After a couple of hours, put the second battery on the charger and check the acid level on the first battery- This method will help you determine how good your batteries are and how long you need to charge the batteries to reach their maximum level- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Wow, that's a hard one to answer. Dead doesn't necessarily mean dead when talking about batteries. If they are truly dead, they most likely can't be charged up. If they are severely discharged and will take a charge, it could take many hours. If they a discharged to where they won't run anything, but will still light a light bulb dimly you're still talking about several hours to charge up 2 6 volts wired to create 12 volts. Sorry, just no easy answer. Several hours is all anyone can suggest.
Thanks for the reply. They were discharged completely to where they would not run anything, or even light a bulb. The batteries are only about 9 months old, and have never been completely drained before. Would just one complete discharge damage them beyond use and make them non-chargeable (if that's a word)?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandJudy_12

If you have a battery hydrometer, you can check the acid level before you start charging the batteries, one at a time- After a couple of hours, put the second battery on the charger and check the acid level on the first battery- This method will help you determine how good your batteries are and how long you need to charge the batteries to reach their maximum level- JMHO- Don
Thanks Don. I don't have a hydrometer or a charger yet unfortunately. I just unplugged the trailer and it showed 100% on the monitor. I let it sit for about an hour unplugged, and it had dropped to 2/3. I plugged it back in to see again if it will fully charge. It had been plugged in for about 19 hours at that point.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. They were discharged completely to where they would not run anything, or even light a bulb. The batteries are only about 9 months old, and have never been completely drained before. Would just one complete discharge damage them beyond use and make them non-chargeable (if that's a word)?

It's very possible, but not likely at their age. Charge them for a while then check them with a hydrometer. Autozone sells a good one for about $12. DO NOT trust those gages in the 5th wheel.

After re-reading your other post, 19 hours on the 5th wheels charger should tell you if they are ok. Keep charging them and they may be ok. Only time will tell. Deep discharging can kill a battery.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:

It's very possible, but not likely at their age. Charge them for a while then check them with a hydrometer. Autozone sells a good one for about $12. DO NOT trust those gages in the 5th wheel.

After re-reading your other post, 19 hours on the 5th wheels charger should tell you if they are ok. Keep charging them and they may be ok. Only time will tell. Deep discharging can kill a battery.
Thanks again Alan, appreciate the help. I let it charge a few more hours, and it seems to be holding. I believe the trailer charger fast charges to 90% and then trickles the remaining 10% if I recall correctly. I'm thinking it may be almost fully charged, but since it's not quite 100%, it is showing 2/3 since that is the next step down from full. We were able to get it back to the storage facility and the landing gear worked fine, so I think we're back in business. I still need to get one of those hydrometers though.

We're taking her out next weekend, so it will get another good charge on that trip.

Thanks again for the replies!

Greg
Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 AM   #8
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
You're very welcome.