Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2016, 06:28 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
What do you think about this slide movement?

Recently I noticed that the kitchen slide is not extending at the same speed as it used to. When I extend the slides the order of movement is the kitchen, the entertainment, they finally the large dining slider. For some reason the kitchen slide is moving very slow, once this is out the other two move normally. On retraction the sequence is the same but the kitchen slide retracts the same way as when new. To troubleshoot, I shut off the two other hydraulic slides and just moved the kitchen slide, absolutely no sluggish movement, it extended and retracted like it should. What do you think I am seeing when I let them all out in the normal order and the kitchen drags? I am plugged in on shore power, and battery is fully charged.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I would suggest, at the very least, get under there with a can of dry silicone or dry slide lube, and spray everything that moves generously with the stuff, several times, moving the slide in and out between applications. It also wouldn't hurt to get some of the slide seal lube and spray the seals also, as they can add to the resistance of the slide moving.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #3
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Yep, I did that already. Why when I extend the kitchen slide alone no issues?
Old 07-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I don't have an answer to your original question but I do the second question. Our hydraulics are pretty basic in design. All slide cylinders are hooked together in I'll say a loop both for extension and retraction. Normally although flow is put to all slide cylinders at once, the slide with the least resistance moves first and then the next least ... on down the line. If you look closely, one of the other slides may start to move just a bit as well. When you shut off the other two cylinders ... all available flow is pushing on the one single cylinder.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Well said dieselguy! You beat me to it again! Also make sure your hydraulic reservoir is full and providing enough hydraulic fluid to the final slide to push it out and pull it back in. I've mark the reservoir tank with a permanent parker pen to show where the level of the fluid is when the slides are in and when they are out. Our unit is out at the farm so I can't check the level on the tank at the present but when I go out there later this week I'll check and see just how high on the tank it is when all the slides are in and how low the mark is when the slides are out. I haven't had to add any fluid so it should be the correct levels on the tank that are marked. I'll let everyone know when I get out there!

Bob-- maybe that kitchen slide moves slower because you have all those donuts and heavy loaves of bread in that slide! LOL
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Ya know I thought of that too, but I ate all the donuts! Thanks for the ideas. I remember the old breaker problem on my 2005 Montana, but the slides slowed and stopped on retraction, never pushing out, I guess I don't like little problems to grow bigger and act up when the time is wrong. Do you think I can rule out any binding in the mechanism because of the smooth and fast operation when moving just the kitchen slide? Maybe I will just shut off the kitchen and extend the two other slides and then turn on the kitchen at let her go.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
Kenleys Oompah
Established Member

M.O.C. #18656
My Mountaineer's slides move at different speeds depending on whether the camper is tilted left or right.

2006 Mountaineer 329RLT
2011 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7
Kenleys Oompah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Another thing to check is, make sure the valves for each slide are fully open. We have four slides, and ours open bed, kitchen, entertainment, and then the curb side large slide. We notice that all the slides tend to move some as the lighter slides move, so, when operating just one slide, all the fluid is going just to that slide, but when all are connected, the fluid is going to the slide of least resistance. I wonder if it may be a bearing on one end of the shaft that ties between the two racks that may be getting a little tight? It's probably not donuts, but varying amounts of beer in the fridge causing the extra weight
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Isolate the other 2 slides separately and see if the slow movement is in relation to one slide only.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I isolated the two other hydraulic slide, they work just fine. And for that natter the kitchen slide moves wonderfully ALONE. And with retraction pulls in great too. It is just when I EXTEND the kitchen slide it really dogs down, then the others kick in and complete the cycle.