Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would like to know the answer to that question. Why can we not expect a holding tank to hold. Why is it our fault when they fail due to "overfilling" Why can they not bear the weight of fluid in the tanks.

Where is the "do not overfill" warning. We have not overfilled. Full is not overfilled. When our galley tank overfilled it backed up into the sink. The gray tank backed up into the shower tub. Anyone ever overfilled the black tank when flushing where did that back up to. Our galley tank split at the bottom of the tank how did a overfill cause that .Our gray tank at the top....what happened???

akf15e may be on to something. Who can answer his question??

I have contacted the tank manufacturer for answers. Can their tanks hold fluid or not.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Rich, I expect you'll get some answer along the lines of their tanks will hold the liquid, but they can't control how the manufacturers install them. In other words Buck Passing 101.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Rich, I expect you'll get some answer along the lines of their tanks will hold the liquid, but they can't control how the manufacturers install them. In other words Buck Passing 101.
Actually Tom that is exactly what I hope to hear along with their installation instructions. It is My opinion that the tanks are not properly installed by Keystone as I heard that from the previous tank manufacturer when my 06 3400 tanks failed. I hope they can provide the documentation that the tanks are not properly installed.

One step at a time. I am expecting a phone call from the tank manufacturer.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #24
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Just a thought as a possible root cause of the tank cracking problem. Frame flexing at the tank location could put a twisting force on the tanks if the tanks are tightly mounted to the frame!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #25
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
In answer to your original request we had the black tank split across the bottom in March of 08 on our 08 Big Sky. That was replaced under warranty. The plastic welded toilet pipe broke lose twice since and resulted in Keystone replacing both of those black tanks. The last replacement being in 2011 at the Rally and was accompanied by the replacement of both the Gray and Galley tanks at the same time as the last black tank. All of the last 4 tank replacements were because of broken plastic welds at the inlet pipes. So far the black and galley tanks are holding fine BUT the gray water tank is again leaking when full from the fill pipe weld area. The next time I drop belly pans I will install 2 ratchet strap slings under the waste holding tanks. So far the fresh water tank is fine....
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:22 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks Dave I knew you had problems. It was looking like I was about the only one who had tank problems. My failures were in the same areas as yours. One question.. How many of those tank failures were your fault.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #27
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had a tank leaking and the dealer replaced it with a slightly smaller one. He said there was only one cross bar that held it up, so they added another I believe and didn't have room for the original size tank.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #28
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
One! the first
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Each of the holding tanks if overfilled will Back up somewhere. Kitchen sink, Shower tub, John. Why would overfilling cause the tank to fail.??? If they pull apart when full is that not a tank or design problem.

Exactly what is the function of these tanks.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #30
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
My 2014 High Country has started to have water come out the belly. It's obviously coming from the gray tank. DW heard a loud bang during the night and thought someone hit the trailer. No one did so sounds like something gave out or broke in the belly. I am going to see if is something I can fix as we are staying in the rig for the next 3 months and 1400 miles from home.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote