Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Help! Auto Leveling in cold temps

Yesterday when we were retracting the legs with the auto level system they kept stopping and starting. I think it was because the fluid was cold. Last night the temps were well below zero so we didn't even lower the legs. We just kept the truck hooked up. Tonight we want to lower the legs but I am worried if it gets really cold right now it is only 12 degrees, we will damage the system. What say you?

We also noticed what appeared to be a small amount of fluid coming out of the base of the front legs. Another forum said it might be because they were overfilled to begin with and that because of that it purged the excess. Does that sound right?

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
If you are noticing fluid at the hydraulic jack of the landing gear then there is something wrong, that is a closed circuit and overfilling would not do that, the only possibility is that the fluid has indeed been overfilled and has leaked into the compartment where the pump and tank are and is dripping out the bottom of that compartment. Check the level of the fluid in the hydraulic tank, if it is really close to the filler spout then it could have been overfilled, also look for oil on the floor of that compartment.

Why bother putting them out unless you absolutely have to until you are where it is a bit warmer.

I hope it works out for you, I am off to get bad news regarding my sister. Will check in later and see if anyone has been able to enlighten you further.

Be safe.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
What good is the artic package lol, I say use it the nice thing about new is there under warrenty but if it states not to use under 13 degrees well then dont i bring a few jack stands and bottle jacks with me for the just in case or extra support. hope your haveing fun the only thing your missing now is snow, after reading your temps im feeling warm in Wisconsin, I do have a urge to take a 24 hour trip to tampa fl to get warm and maybe check out the Rv show there talking about.
michael346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
sorry i didnt read the part about the fluid leaking, if it was over filled i would think it would leak when the landing gear was up off the ground, so pritty much what irlpguy says if you find the genral area its coming from watch with a flash light while someone moves legs up and down.
michael346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Check the 3 bolts at the top of each jack. One jack was leaking on ours and it was one slightly loose bolt.

As for the cold, if you can open your slides, you should be able to use the Level Up. The starting and stopping could be low DC voltage.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! To all of you who have shared your expertise with us.we are definitely putting the slides out tonight because I have to load the refrigerator. So that will let me know if we are off to a good start. The only thing I could find on the Lippert website was colder temps may require a slightly different fluid.

As for the leaking when we saw it it was 2am and a little too cold to encourage further inspection. We will check it out again. The low DC voltage could have been it so we will check into that too!

Irlpguy sorry to hear about your sister! She is in our prayers.

Michael go to Tampa, enjoy the show, get warm, and buy lots of toys for your new toy! What's a little extra pin weight?!

Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you experience a similar problem with the slides then it's the cold weather and the breaker that protects the pump shutting it down because the fluid is hard to pump and then it will reset and you can continue on. I had that problem with my slides when we were in really cold weather (hadn't added level up yet) and our rig was still under warranty. I called Keystone customer service and they approved Camping World near where we were putting in a bigger breaker and no problems ever since.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
UPDATE: We are in Cedar City UT and it is 8 degrees at the campsite. We hooked up the power before we started leveling just in case it was a DC issue. Leveling system worked like a charm on a VERY UNEVEN site. We were still listing but I think it is because our dealership reset the zero point and they didn't get it level. We are thinking that we were dreaming the fluid because nothing there now. Could have been some weird snow formation...right?!

So now the big test will come in the morning when it is supposed to have dropped to -4 overnight! Hopefully we will be able to raise the jacks! Keep your fingers crossed! Thanks again for all your help!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #9
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
One other thing... with the stopping and starting... were you using your remote? (don't have level up so don't know if the remote works it)

Sometimes using my remote for the slides or stabilizers they stop and start as the signal makes and breaks the connection. You have to keep it pointed at the "sweet spot" whereever that might be.

For that reason I stopped using my remote most of the time.

Dont know if that was a factor in your issue or not.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
UPDATE: this morning it was 9 degrees when we needed to leave Cedar City. So we retracted the legs and they worked fine BUT we did figure out one thing that we thought we should pass on. The legs retract fine as long as you are hooked up to power! My husband didn't realize I was still retracting the landing gear and as soon as he unplugged us from shore power the system would retract, stop, blink, and then I could push the button for 1 more second before it would stop and start again. So it is definitely a DC issue! When it is cold leave shore power hooked up until you are done. You can do it with the DC power but it is VERY SLOW GOING and seems to strain the system more. When we got to Wally world we tried to put the pop outs out with the D C power. They went out fine but really took a long time to come in.

I am not sure if a bigger breaker would help this issue but I thought I should pass on our findings. Ialso don't know if being hooked to your generator would make a difference if shore power was not available. We also found out that hitches don't like to latch when they are really cold.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Sorry lost internet before I could say thank you to everyone who helped us with this issue. No we were not using the remote...honestly I keep forgetting we have one!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Carol,

Not knowing what your battery situation is, let me make this comment...

Our truck cannot recharge 2 golf cart batteries while traveling 300 miles. It just can't do it. So, every day that you don't plug in or use your gennys, meaning you aren't using your 80 amp converter to charge your house batteries, you will get less and less current out of your batteries.

We have golf cart batteries which seem to deliver a more consistent amperage relative to voltage than do 12 volt marine/deep cycle batteries, at least in our opinion.

And, yes, cold will make the hydraulic pump ask for more current than when warm.

If you're gonna boon dock, get a generator!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #13
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Sounds to me like a battery problem more than anything. First chance you get put a good battery charger on it and get it fully charged then your convertor can keep up with it. Good luck on your travels.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hmmmm, if the weather is that cold wouldn't that affect the DC battery power performance, therefore the additional shore power connection should give you a boost via the converter. Another way to boost more power if shore power is not available is get the TV running, connect the RV cord to the TV and use the TV's battery(ies) for more boost. Revving the TV engine a little bit might help, too.

The last thing to try is GO SOUTH QUICK!!!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #15
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

Sorry lost internet before I could say thank you to everyone who helped us with this issue. No we were not using the remote...honestly I keep forgetting we have one!
FYI, as of the Fall National Rally 2012, there will no longer be a "remote" to run outside equipment.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
call lippert if you continue to have problems.

brrrrr, toooo cold for us.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Michael and Dave and everyone else who says it is a battery issue we think you are right. As long as we were hooked to shore power the system works fine! We weren't boondocking those nights, we were plugged into shore power so no need for genies. Unfortunately our checklist had us unhooking from shore power BEFORE retracting the legs. I think Lipperts concern is that you are going to drive off still connected to the pedastal... which is a distinct possibility when it is that cold and you just want to get in the truck and you are flying through your checklists! We know now in cold weather, that if batteries don't have a full charge either hook up to shore power or generator to run the legs up

We have learned a lot from this trip! We really appreciate all of your help with this situation!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 AM   #18
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Carol,

I'll post it again for anyone who wants it. We place this photo on our TV instrument cluster when we are hooked up and legs are down on the trailer.

P.S. Glad you resolved your problem!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I love that Michael! I didn't have anything nearly as fancy... This is what I did so Keith didn't try to drive away...

I will try and do something a little more fancy when we get home. When we were in Quartzsite I was able to raids jacks without generator help. So if your system is cold add power! Lesson learned! Thanks again to everyone who helped!