Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
homendn
Established Member

M.O.C. #6008
Send a message via ICQ to homendn Send a message via Yahoo to homendn
New Pull out sleeper Question

Just had the opportunity to see and feel the new 3455SA, Hickory Edition, in Paso Robles California. OMG!! That almost got expensive!! Chuckle....

One thing in that coach that we actually use quite a bit in our Monty is the pull out bed. Two questions

Does anyone know what brand the new pull out, air mattress, bed is and two

Has anyone that has bought the new Montana with it in there used it and how did you like it?

Oh - and a side post - Interstate 80 between Reno, NV and Sacramento, CA (Both ways) is TORE up and beat the living daylights out of me, the truck and the trailer. I had stuff scattered everywhere in the back end where the kitchen is when I pulled off for gas in Visalia day before yesterday. Geesh!!!

homendn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
We bought this unit back in March and live fulltime in it. We retire Oct 1 and hit the road. We could not be happier. Had a few very minor issues. For instance - the door knob to the bedroom was installed backward. So, it would be locked from the OUTSIDE!

We have not used the air mattress but looks like it would be so much more comfortable than a standard sofa bed.

WHen we looked at the rig, I sat in the recliner I would be using and noticed I could only see part of the TV. We had the soda and reclinder switched. I am told not every 3455SA has the same sofa and some are too deep to allow that.

All in all - I beautiful rig. Phyllis
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have the air bed and we love it, but there have been some with issues. Some leak - ours did not. Be real careful when you fold the bed back up that you are not pinching any fabric in any metal. We take ours off - it's just velcro'ed on. We have had ours for over two years now. Did not come with our 3400 (July 06 build), but we ordered it after market in May of 2007 and while it is expensive to do it that way, we have absolutely loved it. Or I should say the grandkids have loved it.

One note: On a cold/cool night - if your bed is on a slide - cold air will collect underneath the mattress. Most, if not all of that cold will be transferred to the air in the air mattress. If those environmental conditions are possible, I would recommend a good warm blanket underneath you with your sheets to give some semblance of a thermal barrier.

Sure beats that old back busting center bar on the old types...

Oh... and I am not sure of mfr of the bed. Used to know. Wife doesn't think it is even stated anywhere on the couch. Think it has to be there somewhere by law? Anyway, someone will be by shortly with that info...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We have the air bed in our 09 3400RL and like it. It si fast to set up; the pump compressor is reversible so you can pull a vacuum on the mattress in just a fraction of a minute. You must use caution when folding the bed back to a couch. The seat depth on the couch is shallow compared to a standard type. A great idea and very compact.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I believe that the company that makes that bed is Flair, at least that is who used to make them. I have not looked to see who made ours in our new unit. Have not had the need to have anyone sleep on it yet, the grandkids like the floor
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
mlm1441

M.O.C. #9378
Have the new 3455SA and love it. Purchased in April "09". Our bedroom door know also installed backwards. Had to install new snap pins on landing gear as the originals were corroded and did not snap into the hole on one side and it caused a bent footpad on the opposite side because of the total weight being lifted by one landing gear.
A rock broke large rear window and on top of being a real mess it is almost impossible to find the right glass in less than 4-8 weeks. That time length sure puts a damper on summer travel. We found most auto glass places don't carry privacy shaded tempered safety glass and it must be ordered from Duncan systems--a national RV glass supplier.

mlm1441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
The company is Flair Interiors. our daughter likes the air bed. Wehad a hole along a seam they replaced the mattress for free after the warranty ran out.
http://www.flairinteriors.com/sleep/sleep.html
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:13 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Flexsteel also makes RV Beds. You should have a tag somewhere on the bed. You know, the do not remove manufacture's tag.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Our "10" 3455SA has a Flair air bed and the grand kids love it. I like the ease of setup and teardown, what a snap.
We saw this bed at the fall rally a few years ago and the manufacturer actually was asking our opinion about the couch/bed. And, yes, Keystone was very interested as to our thoughts, hence the couch/air bed being available in the Montana line!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We have the air mattress in our Montana and it is better then the old mattress where you felt the bar on your back all night. I wouldn't say it is the most comfortable but it is better then the old mattress type.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
boatmates

M.O.C. #9405
Well, after lurking around since we purchased our 09 3465SA in May, felt I could add something to this subject. Our 17 yr old son loves the air bed in comparison to the foldout matress couch in our previous 5'vr, and he uses it almost every weekend at the lake. I also have slept on it and find it very comfortable. Conversely, we also have sprung a slow leak at the seam and our dealer is getting us a new matress. I also agree with removing the matress from the couch and folding it neatly for storage. dtrees
boatmates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #12
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
Our grandkids love sleeping on our air mattress in our Monty. We also put a warm blanket under the sheets when the nights get cold. It really helps to keep the grandkids warm when they sleep on it. I am also very careful when folding the bed back up to the couch position, to push the mattress back out the back side of the couch so not to pinch it.
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
We use our sofa bed (2008 2955RL) frequently. I had the mattress replaced once. It had a leak; I suspect that I was not careful enough folding it up once and it got pinched in the metal parts. As a side note, a bicycle tire patch fixed it good enough to use until it was replaced. We use a 1 inch "foam topper" that makes the bed much more comfortable and solves the problem of the mattress transfering cold. The topper folds perfectly into the storage drawer under the bed. It does take up space, but to us, the comfort it provides is worth it.
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
DANIE_MIKE

M.O.C. #9306
this is my first forum response, and I need to tell you right off, we have no pretty pics attached to our reply or anything else fun like all the rest of you guys! ya, I am jealous and trying to figure it all out.

we just got our first 5th in may, and it is a slight used 2009 3400rl, (love it, wow) we started with an 18year old class C...my how we have grown. We have that airbed, and have had our daughter plus her friends in it, and all love it. I think they constantly compare the fact that they are in a queen bed, under a fan, next to a wide screen plasma across from a fireplace! really I keep offering our king, but they say no! the mattress is fine, I did however, just today buy a plush mattress pad for it, as I think the fabric on the bed would be cool. I was intriqued by the removal of the mattress theory. It had not occured to us that it was at risk of getting caught up? does it fit underneath the bed?

We are about to sleep on it for 2 weeks straight as we give up our bed to the "old Folks" while they get over a hospital stay....so I should be able to give you a much better review if you are still needing/wanting one. regards...Danielle
ps: okay, i have a big diesel truck, a husband, and a dog...i will figure it all out later to make that look pretty!
DANIE_MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
DANIE_MIKE

M.O.C. #9306
so sorry, I mis typed, our is a used 2008!
DANIE_MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Danie Mike, You have a great rig in that 3400. Yes you can get that mattress caught up if not careful. We have had ours for the past 2½ years with no problems while others were springing leaks. We occasionally had our under-6 yr old grandkids stay on that bed, jumping, etc.

A few weeks ago, my 23 yr old nephew informed me that we now have 2 leaks. He had been staying in our Montana with his sister and his mother while visiting from NC and he was sleeping on the air bed. The last night, it wouldn't stay up at all.

There was a patch kit that came with the bed, my wife informs me. Just have to find it...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote