Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Refrigerator Latch

We took our new 3400 out last weekend for a shakedown cruise.
Everything checked out good except for one thing,the refrigerator latch. The refrig.door stays closed but won't latch.
Anyone have any fixes for this?
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Jack,
Ours (08 3400) "snaps" in place and you have to press the tab to open both the frig and freezer. We have to push a bit to get it to latch closed.
BTW, we really like the "blue tabs" that lock into place to hold the doors open during storage to prevent mold and odor.
Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Blue tabs???? Hmmm!

Jack,
Ours performs the same way. You have to put some pressure on them when you close them. You will hear the click. To open, press on the tab and pull.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Wayne,
Came with the rig. DW asked about them and the guy doing the pdi got us a pair. They slip into the door latch and connect to the door catch. Works well. They are slightly larger than a credit card.
Ken
Old 03-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Blue tabs???? Hmmm!

Jack,
Ours performs the same way. You have to put some pressure on them when you close them. You will hear the click. To open, press on the tab and pull.
Wayne,our freezer latch works but the refrigerator latch won't stay put,we push it in but it keeps popping out.
I can see where it should catch under pressure but when you release the pressure the door just rides over that little Mickey Mouse piece of plastic. We have to bungee cord the freezer handle to the refrig.handle to guaranty all the food won't fall out.
Jack
Old 03-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Gotta get me some of them blue things - tired of using spoons.

Jack, it should latch and release with a recessed button on each handle, but the models have varied slightly by year. Not sure if we have the same model Dometic.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Anybody got any pics of those blue things, we are using plastic coat hangers!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Interestingly, just the magnetic seals seem to work almost all the time for my Residential Fridge Retrofit.
However, in the short 45 minute drive from Priester's Pecans on I-65 in AL to our home northbound on a stretch of what has to be some of the roughest interstate in the nation, apparently a Refrigerator Bar that I forgot to tighten up let go and a large frozen bottle of water (was supposed to be relocated to the Fridge)and an ice cube tray in the Freezer along with the Refrigerator bar ended up on the floor which we discovered when we got home. The Freezer door had reclosed itself and all was still very cold inside. The Refrigerator bar was missing - somehow it got under the slide and was mangled and ejected when we put out the kitchen slide at home.
Still learning!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When I'm in storage I leave the fridge on with 120v plugged in. I keep the fridge on the lowest setting. So far it seems to be working fine.

Is there a reason to turn it off?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Try the "No Mold Refrigerator Door Holder" - $6.and change at Camping World - works great! (in place of the "blue tabs" while rig is stored!)
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:34 AM   #11
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I will try to post some photos of the blue tabs when I get my rig this weekend. Apparently they are supposed to come with the rig!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:58 AM   #12
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Jack, sounds like you have one of those "minor" adjustments the dealer needs to take care of. We took ours in after our first trip for about five minor adjustments. Maybe our refrigerator door needs an adjustment,too, because ours only latches if we push on it hard and then hear a click.
Bingo, I think I remember seeing a advertisement for the blue tabs with the Dometic manual, care instructions, install book. We got the tabs at our PDI with both of our Keystone trailers. Also, an old pot holder in each door keeps it open enough for ventilation without putting any marks, like coat hangers might.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:12 PM   #13
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by krtam

Jack, sounds like you have one of those "minor" adjustments the dealer needs to take care of. We took ours in after our first trip for about five minor adjustments. Maybe our refrigerator door needs an adjustment,too, because ours only latches if we push on it hard and then hear a click.
Bingo, I think I remember seeing a advertisement for the blue tabs with the Dometic manual, care instructions, install book. We got the tabs at our PDI with both of our Keystone trailers. Also, an old pot holder in each door keeps it open enough for ventilation without putting any marks, like coat hangers might.
Sharon
You're right Sharon,I went back and pushed hard to compress the seals and it did latch,I have to put that on my check list.
Jack
Old 03-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Here are photos of the blue tabs, they work great. We had to ask for them from the dealer.
Ken

Tab attached to handle

Tab engaged to stop

Old 03-22-2008, 04:07 AM   #15
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
The blue tabs work great. DW called dometic after we saw then in the owners manual and they sent some right out.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:13 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jack,
I don't intend on having mine adjusted. I like the little compression push and hear it click. In my mind, I think I have a good seal. DW also is in the habit of that little push, but we always, always check it before we roll.