Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
rgries
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17653
fireplace

We have a 2010 Montana The blower on the fireplace shuts down and will not come on unless we shut it off and try again. It only runs for 20 min.
Any one else have this problem? Thank you.

rgries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This almost sounds like your thermostat is turning off the heater. You might want to adjust the thermostat control to see if that allows the unit to run longer. On ours, we have the thermostat adjusted so it never turns off except if we manually turn it off.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you haven't vacuumed out the return air, try that. It could just be overheating.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
rgries
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17653
fireplace

Thanks for suggestions but nothing worked. I will have to take the fireplace out to clean it. I think the thermostat is working.
rgries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Look at the right side of the heating elements in the top of the fireplace. Between the two sections of the elements you will see an exposed bi-metallic switch. This switch opens when it senses too much current flowing. It also gets weaker every time to opens and closes. To see if this is the cause of your issue, you can jumper out the bi-metallic. The bad news is that the heater assembly with blower is one assembly part if anything goes wrong. You could replace this bi-metallic with an enclosed one like is used in the hydraulic pump circuit, BUT you would need to use one with the proper rating. Given that the fireplace is a 1600 watt heater, then the bi-metallic should be slightly above the fireplace current draw. Current equals roughly 12 amps in normal operation, so the bi-metallic device could be one rated for 15 amps. Other engineer types feel free to chime in here if you feel I am creating an issue. I will add that my fireplace went out due to this device going bad and I just replaced the whole assembly instead of trying to find a sealed bi-metallic of the right power rating. It was just quicker to get operational by doing the whole assembly swap.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
We had a problem with ours in that it would not shut off. I had to trip the breaker to turn it off. No cool down period so not a good option. I sent an email to Dimplex and they suggested a relay board. Ordered it and it fixed the problem. It took longer to get the fireplace out to get to the relay board than to replace it. The cost of the part was ~$45 including shipping. No soldering just push on spade lugs.

You can find troubleshooting documentation online at https://www.dimplex.com/en/. You may need to locate you model number by pulling the unit out. The info is located on the top panel.
Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote