Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
Grunt4Life

M.O.C. #19232
Water Heater Issue

So we were out this past weekend and the water heater just stopped working. Everything was fine on Friday but by Saturday afternoon no more hot water. Read through a lot of post and still not sure I know where to start. Here's what going on:
- Went to in command panel to see if it shutdown. Message popped up stating "Check Water Heater).
- Took a look and saw nothing unusual
- Reset main panel in unit (not at the water- it had not tripped)
- Went out to see what would happen- Tried to start 3x (heard clicking and smelled gas) but didn't light.
- Reset it again and grabbed a lighter. I was able to light it but it would only stay on for 5-10 sec. then shut down (Had a nice blue flame). Could repeat this over and over.
- Also tried shutting of LP tanks waiting an hour or so and then opening slowly and bleeding lines to stove burners.

So could this still be a solenoid issue since gas is present? What else could be the issue?

Oh- This is a brand new unit 2017 3911 model

Grunt4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The fact that you get propane to the burner says the gas valve solinoid is okay. The flame covering the sparked rod is supposed to supply ground to the system to keep it working. So my first guess based on the flame going out is that the wire rod is either bent to far away from where the spark jumps to OR the rod is oxidized and not providing a good enough ground. Take some steel wool or fine sandpaper and clean it. If you can see that it is bent, straighten it out some.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Your water heater has a two year warranty from Suburban, so your dealer should be able to make this unit work. If you damage this unit attempting to repair it, your warranty is worthless. I would recommend getting it back to your dealer or any shop capable of repairing this water heater, and they should have no problem making repairs, even if they do not work on Montana rigs.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
Grunt4Life

M.O.C. #19232
Thanks for the feedback. Connectors are clean and don't appear bent. One correction though... There is only one click when it tries to starts up (think that's the solenoid) and i'm not seeing any spark.
- I've tried resetting the breaker for water heater
- Checked all connections (even disconnect/re-connected) everything is tight/clean

Is there a fuse that controls the spark rod? Trying to learn how things work, figure it's better for me to learn now then wait... Can always take it in. rohrmann- Good advice- Will make sure I'm VERY careful not to break anything!
Grunt4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I don't know the model # of your unit but try this link. The troubleshooting portion should be similar to all units.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Fffxlk_DVOXB3w

This is the MFR's web site but their online documentation is lacking but the FAQ may be helpful.
http://www.airxcel.com/suburban/service-support/faqs
uhftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
Here's another issue that perhaps someone can address for me. I have generally always run both electric and propane for my water heater and it has always done great. Last weekend, one of my tanks ran out. The other tank is virtually full. When the temperature in the tank drops to the certain level, the DSI FLT red light comes on. I can go out and hear the igniter going, but it doesn't always light. I think from reading that after 3 sequences, it stops trying. If I switch the gas switch off on the console, then turn it back on, it will ignite about half of the time. Any thoughts.