Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Slide Out Awning Covers

Would really like to have these on our new 2955RL, and suggestions of type, Carefree or A&E. Any suggestions? Thank you.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Our dealer put them on and we love them. Not sure of the brand, but with four slides, I wouldn't want to be without them.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Check out what is offered at Camping World. An earlier post lauded their work and their price.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:32 AM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have them, our dealer also put ours on. I think they might be A&E but I am not sure(will have to look later at the paper work) We are pleased with not having to go up on the roof each trip. We did notice that in strong winds you can hear them flap a bit. Not on the bedroom slide but on the livingroom slide.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:38 AM   #5
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We had A&E installed on our unit when we purchased it.
I think they are great.
We did notice when we were out west the wind would blow the large one but no problems.
I notice when it rains, a lot of water puddles on the big slide and must be drained off. Now Carefree has one that raises up when it is out to keep the water off.(see in Camping World Cat.)
My opinion is either A&E or Carefree do about the same thing so either would be fine. Just my opinion.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:20 AM   #6
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Our previously enjoyed Montana had them when we got it and we wouldn't want to be without them. There is some noise from the livingroom one when it's windy, but it's nice to have the water, debris, etc., just fall off as the slides go in. Don't know what brand they are.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:43 AM   #7
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We had Camping World install our A&E slide toppers after Christmas. Haven't had to much time to check them out but did learn how much water can collect in the big one after a storm. Watch out for the waterfall!!!
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
Montana_2428
Established Member

M.O.C. #2428
I installed A&E toppers on my 2955RL, got them from CampingWorld. They are easy to install if you have average mechanical skills. Camping World wanted a lot for the install, the job goes quickly as long as you understand the directions. Suggest you read them over until you understand what they are asking you to do. Takes about 2 hrs to install the large awning over the living room slide. You need another person to help at one point.

They are a good product, no problem with high winds that we have encountered.

Do it yourself and save!

Don and Michele
Montana_2428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had the dealer install them on our first Montana. They were A&E. When we ordered the second Montana we ordered it with slide toppers. Those toppers were also A&E and were identical to the ones the dealer installed on our first Montana. We, too, get a little flapping on the living room slide topper, which is the longest one. Water also pools there. Several members have posted several solutions for this but I've not yet implemented any of them. The water pooling does not stretch the fabric, it just pulls more fabric off the roll. when we retract the slides the water just runs off the topper and down the side of the slide. The only time this is a "problem" is when there are leaves in that water. They tend to stick to the side of the slide and don't look real good. If they don't dry and blow off while on the road, then I have to get out the broom and clear them off the side of the slide.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:47 PM   #10
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Our new rig came with A&E slide toppers. The 3380 we used to have didn't have them.

Having them has been a blessing. I used to have to either climb up on the roof, or use a stepladder to make sure no debris was laying on the slides, before sliding them in.

The covers on this rig are great, and the only thing under them, (on the tops of the slides,) is pollen, blown through them. All the miscellaneous leaves, seeds, and small tree braches that blew down onto the rig when camped near trees in a wind storm drop off when the slides come in.

I still have to get used to the "Baptismal Effect" that comes when it's been raining, and water pools on the big slide, and dumps on me when I exit the rig, and the wind is just right.

I'm sure a few added Baptisms won't do me any harm. But I'm thinking of instituting some of the preventive measures other forumites have mentioned.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:52 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, I like your terminology! Fortunately for me, our big slide is on the opposite side so I got drenched only once, when I was getting the outside ready to hitch up and Vicki brought in the slides. Now she knocks on the window to warn me. Getting wet when exiting the coach, yes, I'd be looking to do something about that, too!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #12
Montana_3028
Established Member

M.O.C. #3028
Has only one seen the Colorado ones that have the bow in the middle to let the H20 run off?
Montana_3028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #13
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
RKass; I had my A&E toppers put on while at Quartzsite AZ, If your going that way, they're about half the price that Campers world charges!! would'nt be without them,besides you dont have to worry if your slides leak or not !! Dave A
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:17 AM   #14
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
I have seen others use the long strap that is made for keeping the awning from flopping to put a valley in the slide topper and drain the water off. Never tried it myself but it looks like it should work.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:27 AM   #15
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I don't know what type we have, but I do like them.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:08 AM   #16
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
A&E is a division of Dometic ... after about 2 years of use the fabric on both of our slide awnings began to come apart in the area that streaches from the side of the camper to where it goes onto the roller ... it appeared to me that vibration from 29,000+ miles of wind blowing against the leading edge of the fabric caused it to shread (for lack of a better term) ... a phone call to Dometic resulted in them sending replacement fabrics at not charge ... based on our personal experience, I can recommend them as a company that stands behind their product

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote