Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2008, 03:39 AM   #101
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have been camping since 1974, off and on. I have even taken a motorcycle from Texas to DC and back tenting it all the way. I have had lots of fun, met lots of nice people. My wife and I retired last year. me in February, and she in october. It was my second retirement and her first.

We also had the great dream of travelling and purchased the TV and 3400RL in August, 2007. We have only gone on some short trips of 300 miles or less and have thoroughly enjoy it. We, like many of you, are on a fixed income now and we are not sure just how much the fuel prices are going to impact us.

So I have this question.

What would be considered a good fuel budget to activly achieve the great adventure?

2, 3, 4, 5 thousand a year? At $4 a gallon it is going to cost me $152 to fill up from empty. (38 gal tank) That will get me approximately 300 miles down the road. Depending on the lenght of stay, and the around campsite driving I would do, would of course be a factor in how much fuel.

I'm just talking fuel. Doesn't matter if I'm home or not, I would still have to eat. Campground costs would have to be considered separately and then added.

Just curious if anyone has figured it out.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:49 AM   #102
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
I think $4.oo a gallon is a conservative figure. I believe we will see $5.00 or more this summer unfortunately.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:34 AM   #103
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wayne... It is nearly impossible to find a figure to estimate on. We estimated our fuel cost this trip taking what diesel cost at the time 3.359 per gallon and adding a 20& increase factor. We included a 20% increase factor in our total budget. That was the budget for this Florida winter trip only so our fuel budget was planned at 4.03 per gallon. Since we had a budget we are able to track what and how we spent. We had a budget of 4320.00 for the winter trip. Fuel,C.G fees down and back, C.G fees here. electric and propane.. That included the 20 % projected increase. The important part is that we HAD that 4320 collected and in our travel account to pay the bills as they came in.. We know exactly what we have spent and how much is left. Now that does not include what we consider expenses we would have had if we stayed home. Food, Fuel for the truck not towing, replacement of normal wear and tear items.We are running under budget.because we have control...and we are looking ahead..Helen is working at Disney.I will drive school bus when I get back..The 'Rebate check" all of that will go into the"Travel account" If you plan ahead and have a budget to work from..you can control expenses and still enjoy your travels.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:26 AM   #104
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
When the depreciation of the truck and camper is factored into the equation, fuel is still the cheapest cost of camping.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:31 AM   #105
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I just had some folk's rent my site in RGV for a whole year. storage fee for months not occupied and then full rent when they are there. I have seen an increse in this type of activity to eliminate the towing costs.
Safe Travels everyone John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:38 AM   #106
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That would work for many, John, except for us fulltimers. Unless we wanted to stay at my sister and her husband's for the summer - probably not...

I'm just glad I filled my boat up last fall with Stabil before storing it. Cheapest gas I'll use to start off this summer...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:22 AM   #107
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"When the depreciation of the truck and camper is factored into the equation, fuel is still the cheapest cost of camping".... that is probably very true..However depreciation is something you will not see till you sell the truck or camper and purchase a new one. It is not money that you take out of your pocket and pay every day. They depreciate every day but will not keep you from traveling. Energy and everything that it affects on a everyday basis can and will and does.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #108
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
$3.72/gallon in Denver today.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #109
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Rich,
Thank you for the information. Our budget will be a little larger than yours is. We plan on going from Texas City, to Pensacola, then on up to Massachusetts this summer (beginning in April) My son graduates from the Naval War College in June and we will follow him on down to his new duty station, Quantico, VA. Spend some time there and then maybe around August head on back to Texas city. We are so looking forward to the trip. I'm figuring not to excee $6K but i'm shooting for a heck of a lot less. Of course, that figure also includes buying toys for the grand kids, grand nieces and nephews, etc. We don't get to see them as often as we would like. Now that we can travel when we want, we hope to see more of them.

Looking at 1945 miles by Interstate for the one way trip would be about $778 AT $4 a gallon, one way. Add the running around and I'm sure that will come close to $1k each way. The rest will be for all the amenities we are all so used to.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #110
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Planes and hotels look better and better every day.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #111
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ah Jerzy! What fun is it watching the stewardess or for that matter the stewards, walking down the Isle, or having to drink that hotel coffee. Much more fun trekking!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #112
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jerzy54

Planes and hotels look better and better every day.
Maybe, until you have to go through security!
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #113
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Considering we moteled it during Christmas when we went to Florida, the best time we had was sleeping in my nephew's toy hauler.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #114
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Dont fret over high fuel prices!!! Americans always think of a way! LOL
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #115
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
found this, good if it works, but dunno how far down the road.. Engineers at the Army’s Tank-Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center in suburban Detroit are developing the world’s most rugged diesel-electric hybrid engines for installation in the FCS manned vehicles. But even if the vehicles were cancelled, the engine work could continue. The most important benefit of the engine development, according to researcher Gus Khalil, is the growing body of data related to hybrid engines’ performance in different conditions — data that no one else is even trying to gather, and that will ultimately benefit military and civilian vehicle designs all over the world.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #116
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I have been reading this thread with great interest. March 2007 we sold our motorhome with the thought that we would travel by car and motel it. We thought that might be the way to travel with rising fuel cost and campground cost as they were. So, we took a fall trip in 07 of about 3000 miles with our SUV. Not all that difficult to do. Something strange happened though, every time we passed an RV we got that feeling and you know what it is. We also were not pleased staying in motels and eating out all the time. When we had to stop for a restroom we had to hunt for one and none were as clean as our RV was. We could not sit down in a motel room and feel at home. So many other things that just happened to remind us of what we were missing.

We missed Rving so much we just had to have another one. This time it was the Monty. We took a month long Jan trip to AZ in the Monty and we didn't have any complaints again. Didn't even complain about the things we had to have fixed when we got back. We did have to get another truck more suitable for towing the Monty when we returned home. That put a dent in the budget. Ouch!

As I stated earlier in this thread RVing is what we do. We don't take expensive European vacations or have other expensive tastes. I don't like the cost of fuel either. I felt about the same way when gas went to 37 cents a gal. and then again when it went to a $1.00 a gal.I doubt the cost of fuel will stop us from taking trips with the Monty. After 30 years of RVing it is hard to break a habit that we like. So this ole boy and his bride will be making tracks. Hope to meet you on the road.

If RVing is what you do and like, what would you do if you didn't RV anymore?? Before you sell that Monty be sure to try a motel trip first to see if you really like it.

JB

Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #117
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Traveling by RV is still, IMO, the most cost effective way to travel and see the country. Our average daily cost of lodging, including, utilities is 20/ 22.00 per day and that is first class accommodations, no wallmart parking lots. Beats a motel by a long shot.At today diesel prices our fuel cost per 1000 miles is 363.00 for two of us and the bird.Beats airline fares and we are in first class... window seats.Food is what ever we buy and have on board anything from steak to mac and cheese. Beats restaurants. There is a sizable initial cost,,truck/camper, etc but that is the start up cost of a enjoyable way of life.It takes advance planning,ongoing planning , budgeting and even work amping here and there to supplement the cost of this incredible way of life.But it is worth it to experience the " great adventure"
Old 03-07-2008, 01:39 AM   #118
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
The more I research using the chip the more I am learning that it probably is not worth the investment. The only evidence of improved mpg comes from the sites selling the product. When reading other postings from actual users the emphasis is on improved performance/horsepower, which I don't need. There is, however, more postings on routine maintenance items such as air filter cleanliness, maximum tire inflation, oil change and some fuel additives such as power service.

I did reduce my tire pressure to soften my ride and stopped using the power service only due to laziness. I can't remember the last time I checked my air filter, which means I should, and am due for an oil change. Maybe that will help if not it still needs to be done.

Now for the other shoe dropping. I did find some info regarding Airtabs. Without spending a lot of time and space explaining, check out their website at www.airtab.com. It's very interesting. They also have an excel spread sheet to figure out the ROI and a number of photos/testimonials regarding the product. I have an e-mail in to them for more info. The airtabs are cheaper than a chip, apply to both the RV and TV, and does not affect the warranty all for less than $200.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #119
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I was out doing my photography thing and almost caused an accident when I started to pass a Mobile station showing 359.9 for diesel. I made a quick turn into the station and than realized that it was closed...out of business. I should have remembered because I photographed this station for a realtor's listing.

So I continued on my way and than saw another Mobile station close to where I live with diesel at 405.9. Now this station is known to be higher but just a couple of days ago they were priced at 379.9 along with every one else. I continued home knowing I was going to pass another Mobile and stopped there for 379.9. I wasn't going to take any chances of another price increase.

The good thing, if there is such a thing, is that my fuel guage showed just under 3/4 full. The bad thing is that it still cost $42 to fill up. I guess it's like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #120
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
The cost of diesel has changed our retirement plans considerably. We had grandiose plans of travelling all over the southern US this winter. With stops in AZ, NM and a trip to Las Vegas. Well, with the price of diesel we are staying right where we are in Mission all winter. At least a $3.49 we are one of the lowest priced areas in the US. Trying to figure out how to get home to Illinois without buying any fuel in Illinois. [] Prices are lower in Texas and all the surrounding states, but once we get north of Kentucky - add 50 cents a gallon. I don't want to go home. boo hoo, I don't want to be stuck there when it hits $5 a gallon.
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote