Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
Rescue Duct

M.O.C. #15966
FW - Truck Camper

Hello, My wife and I have been RVing in a TC for over 4 years now. Wanted to toss this out there for some feed back. We currently own a Northern Lite TC. WE love it, BUT when we travel we always have to break down and do our site seeing then return and hook back up. This is not a big issue electric and water fast and quick. Also while traveling we have been able to get into camp grounds with no reservation because we don't take up a lot of room. A small site with 30 amps or even 20 amps and we are good to go. In the winter I travel west to go bird and water fowl hunting. Pro Great camper, con not a lot of room have to break down and travel with camper anywhere and everywhere you go. Traveling with grandkids the camper looks like a grenade went off inside even before we leave home.

Now we went to a RV show here in INDY and bam there it was a Montana 3711FL wife walks in and falls in love. GREAT so I start to drill the sales guy and he was good and answer all the question I had, I could not find fault. And after reading these post sounds like these things are solid units with tons of miles on them. Yea a few little issue but hay its man made going to have some issue. So we started to talk about all the pros on these units. And they out way the TC, grand kids (room), leaving the camper at the campgrounds without having to move it, etc. Only one con question I have, as I mention before I travel west for hunting trips, Oct, Nov. Has anyone pulled these in snow, ice. Anyone know that MT and North and South Dakota can have heavy winds and bad weather in the winter. This unit is a four season with heated tanks and heated under belly so not to worry about freezing up. When we order one I will have a Generator install for any boon docking we want to do.

Sorry for so long but wanted to get some feed back, The wife wants one so I see one of these in our driveway this spring. I even thought about keeping the TC its paid for and cost me nothing. My insurance is a rider on my truck. And I don't have to plate it because it sit in my truck. But if I can do everything in the FW no since keeping two campers.

Thanks ART SCHLANGEN
Greenwood, IN.

Rescue Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
It is your choice, but ours stays parked for the winter. I would not even consider pulling if I knew there would be either snow or ice on the road. It can be done with chains (previous experiences posted on the forum by others), but again, I, personally would never consider it. Seven to eight tons sliding behind me, no thanks!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I agree with Bingo. If it were me and I wanted to continue hunting during the winter, I'd keep the TC. I just can't see pulling a big 5th wheel on bad roads. Nothing good would come of it.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
Well I used by 31' TT for a couple of years hunting. Bottled water and 30 lb propane bottles with heating element on it. 1 st year was ok. 2 nd year 2' of snow and ice Just to dangerous for me after that plus a damaged axle I had to get alignment on after clipping something buried in the snow. Granted it is easier to setup hunting camp but the risk aren't worth it. Back to outfitter tent for us
Happycamperscolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Having towed a fifth wheel in snow without problems, it is not something I woud want to do again.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
Rescue Duct

M.O.C. #15966
I hear everyone I never been caught west in snow YET, I'm leaning towards keeping the TC. tow a small trailer with a rhino makes a great hunting rig. Thanks for back up with the wife. ART
Old 01-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Sounds like for most of your camping experiences you will love the move to the 3711 fifth wheel for all the reasons you have stated. However if I were you I would keep the truck camper for those Oct./Nov. hunting trips you describe plus any other time you may want to make a quick trip somewhere and not haul the Montana. We actually have from time to time considered the purchase of a used TC for some back woods type of camping or a trip where we would never consider hauling the Montana.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I agree with all of the above. A Montana isn't the rig for backwoods hunting trips. Some of the best hunting weather would just result in worry about getting in or getting out and ruin the enjoyment of the trip. Having driven a tractor trailer in my much younger years I can tell you there's nothing more exciting or less desirable than stepping on the brakes and hoping the trailer stays behind you.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
Rescue Duct

M.O.C. #15966
Well I believe I keep the TC. Art
Old 01-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #10
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Very nice TC!!!
Old 01-12-2015, 03:54 PM   #11
Rescue Duct

M.O.C. #15966
Well we are going to start the shopping.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #12
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
That is a nice setup
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I have both a TC and 5th wheel. I'd have a really hard time giving up my TC. While I love the space/luxury of the Montana the TC is equal to those in simplicity and maneuverability. I don't have to worry about anything (except height) with the TC. Simply drive and get where I'm going. Once I get there, I can park or camp anywhere. When we bought our first 5th wheel I quickly found several of the state parks in the Eastern Sierras and a few of my favorite beach spots couldn't accommodate a large rig or if they could there were only a few sites large enough. So, I bought an old TC to see if I liked it. I did, so much so that I left my 5th wheel at my lot in Mexico as a weekend getaway. Fast forward several years. We decided to go fulltime and settled on our Montana. They are both so different It would be hard to give up either. If I had to chose one it would be the 5th wheel because it allows us to fulltime with much less risk of divorce . If we weren't fulltiming I'd have to give up the 5th wheel over the TC.

Now having guests is a whole other matter. I've spent two weeks twice in the TC with the wife and adult child. Every day I was willing to give up all the good stuff of the TC to get my space back in the 5th wheel.

Good luck with your choice.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I agree with others above. If you can find a way to keep both, then you give up nothing and gain lots for adding the fiver for all the reasons you mentioned yourself. My wife wishes we had a TC available since they are easier to lug around into tighter or more harsh areas and provides more convenience than a tent.

Keep us posted on your decision. You'll find the MOC members like to 0ooh and aaah what others who do do what they wish they could do (huh?, I hope that makes sense).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:43 AM   #15
Rescue Duct

M.O.C. #15966
Guys Thanks for the advise, I just need a support system to justify my agreement with the sergeant of arms,(wife). She likes the TC also but no room, we take our grandkids a lot. We just did a 4500 mile trip we went from Indy, to Glacier NP via ND and back through SD. 15 days on the road with both the kids. But they are getting bigger and we are heading for retirement in a few years, want to set my self up for that. For now I will keep the TC see how it works out. It is great for quick trips hunting and fly fishing trips. Thanks again for the advice I was kind of thinking that way just needed someone to help make up my mind. ART
Old 01-13-2015, 08:57 AM   #16
Rescue Duct

M.O.C. #15966
One note for people thinking on the TC, we did a light house tour last year up in Michigan. NO way could we do it in a FW. The roads were narrow, and some time it ended in dead end road. With the TC we could back into a drive way and turn around. If you are on a rolling vacation and not going some where to sit, a TC is the only way to roll. Our trip this summer is going to be Utah, and we are thinking the FW with a base camp is the way to go. Just wanted to drop that note.

I have contacted the local dealer and starting the process, we are thinking about ordering a camper with all the stuff we want. Instead a cookie cutter on the lot. Any thought on a custom order? ART
Old 01-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #17
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I did roughly the same miles, Ca to Iowa and back in two weeks with one adult kid. I had to work remote during the day. Get up, drive a few hrs, work, drive a few hours, sleep. I'd have been exhausted with the 5th wheel but I had to get there and had to work. No getting around either of them. Would have been much easier to fly but man I hate flying.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rescue Duct

Guys Thanks for the advise, I just need a support system to justify my agreement with the sergeant of arms,(wife). She likes the TC also but no room, we take our grandkids a lot. We just did a 4500 mile trip we went from Indy, to Glacier NP via ND and back through SD. 15 days on the road with both the kids. But they are getting bigger and we are heading for retirement in a few years, want to set my self up for that. For now I will keep the TC see how it works out. It is great for quick trips hunting and fly fishing trips. Thanks again for the advice I was kind of thinking that way just needed someone to help make up my mind. ART
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:01 AM   #18
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As far as a custom order is concerned. Once again if you have questions post them here. Whether it's floor plan or options there's always someone here whose been there and done that and can give you their prospective to help with your decision making process.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:26 AM   #19
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rescue Duct

One note for people thinking on the TC, we did a light house tour last year up in Michigan. NO way could we do it in a FW. The roads were narrow, and some time it ended in dead end road. With the TC we could back into a drive way and turn around. If you are on a rolling vacation and not going some where to sit, a TC is the only way to roll. Our trip this summer is going to be Utah, and we are thinking the FW with a base camp is the way to go. Just wanted to drop that note.

I have contacted the local dealer and starting the process, we are thinking about ordering a camper with all the stuff we want. Instead a cookie cutter on the lot. Any thought on a custom order? ART
We factory ordered our 2015 3610 and it was easy as can be except for the waiting part of 6 weeks. Of the 3610s in stock to be found most had king beds instead of our queen, two air conditioners instead of a fantastic vent in the bedroom that we wanted and all had two recliners instead of the home theater seating that we wanted. So make a list of your wants and away you go but keep in mind it takes 6 to 8 weeks quite often for a factory order.
Good luck!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #20
greenmachine
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15734
Good choice, Keep the TC for those hunting trips and you will love the 3711 for the family.
Welcome to the MOC.