Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2018, 07:00 AM   #81
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I've had firestone air bags. And they felt just like that, riding on stones. They work well for leveling a load or if plumbed properly, prevent sway with a top heavy load. My experience is that they do not enhance ride, but firm it up. That is why when adjusting air pressure it is always a compromise of finding the desired ride height and ride comfort.

Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #82
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I run 15 to 20 pounds in mine unloaded so when I hit a bump I don't damage a bag by bottoming it out. 5 pounds is not enough air as some have stated here run. I run about 60 hooked up which levels the truck and trailer. I have the hitch set at the lowest setting and i could lower the trailer another hole if I needed to. I have plenty of bed clearance with my set up like it is.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #83
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Interesting. Firestone recommends 5psi unloaded which is what I do, and no damage now for two years. I don't increase psi when pulling my boat, about 800lbs tongue weight, but go up to 40psi when pulling the 15k FW, which levels the truck and minimizes bottoming out on bad roads
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:37 PM   #84
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Air bags

"...like riding on rocks."

Is this a universal truth with all trucks with air bags? The every day normal ride is going to be stiffer/rougher? And is the loaded ride likewise stiffer/rougher also? I don't think I have ever been in a vehicle with air bags - towing or empty. Just curious - I'm thinking about adding them.

So the good news is you can level out the tow vehicle...the bad news is (for me!) be prepared to take more bathroom breaks (rough road makes it harder to hold for me and DW!)
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #85
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post

......Is this a universal truth with all trucks with air bags? The every day normal ride is going to be stiffer/rougher?......
No. I didn't notice any difference at all in my normal every day ride.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #86
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:

Is this a universal truth with all trucks with air bags? The every day normal ride is going to be stiffer/rougher? And is the loaded ride likewise stiffer/rougher also? I don't think I have ever been in a vehicle with air bags - towing or empty. Just curious - I'm thinking about adding them.

So the good news is you can level out the tow vehicle...the bad news is (for me!) be prepared to take more bathroom breaks (rough road makes it harder to hold for me and DW!)

Drop the air bags to 5psig then drop the air pressure in the truck tires 5-7 psig and you will see a big difference in how it rides empty. I would say drop the truck tire air by 10 psig but that may set off the TPMS as it does mine.

Just don't forget that what you are driving is a truck and as a 1 ton, fairly heavy duty and will never have a boulevard mushy ride.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #87
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
My experience unloaded with minimal pressure is slight to no difference in ride on smooth road conditions. Loaded and leveled will be noticibly stiffer. Like make sure your fillings are in tight.

Some may have other experiences as there are endless combinations of variables. Just don't let a rubber bladder full of air lull you into believing that makes for a smooth ride.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #88
browens62
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Does the truck sit level when loaded?
Yes . From the side you can not tell that the load is on it. Will send a pic this weekend. Trip to the lake.
browens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:55 AM   #89
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Airbags? Springs? Oh my...

I just have one or four more questions...I have seen some threads where folks change out or add different springs for ride leveling. Why do one or the other?

Am I correct in assuming that air bags provide some adjustment - springs do not allow adjustment? Also maybe changing out springs cost less than air bags - correct? Are the after-market springs significantly better than factory 1-ton springs?

Also I have seen threads about changing out the pin box. My Monte has the road armor pin box. Are there pin boxes that provide significantly more cushioning? I have seen pin boxes with shock absorbers on them. Are those the ultimate pin box or is that “old technology” - maybe before the moryde/road armor pin boxes on the newer Montes? Will a good pin box do more for ride quality than airbags?

Is that enough questions for now? One more - Will a birds nest in the pin box improve ride quality? What about a wasp nest?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:51 AM   #90
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
You could install overloads but that is so old school. Not sure it would accomplish anything you want.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #91
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Air bags allow for adjustments where springs don't. Bird or wasp nests just add frustration and danger.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #92
FreeRoamn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19387
Quote:
I just have one or four more questions...
Am I correct in assuming that air bags provide some adjustment - springs do not allow adjustment? Also maybe changing out springs cost less than air bags - correct? Are the after-market springs significantly better than factory 1-ton springs?

Also I have seen threads about changing out the pin box. My Monte has the road armor pin box. Are there pin boxes that provide significantly more cushioning? I have seen pin boxes with shock absorbers on them. Are those the ultimate pin box or is that “old technology” - maybe before the moryde/road armor pin boxes on the newer Montes? Will a good pin box do more for ride quality than airbags?

Is that enough questions for now? One more - Will a birds nest in the pin box improve ride quality?
We stepped up to a 3160RL last year after owning SOB 5er before. The 31060RL came with the Mor-Ride pin box and suspension. I added air bags to my 2013 Silverado 2500 which has a factory exhaust brake. I’ve towed it some 3,000 miles so far with no issues and in fact it tows significantly better than our previous 5er that weighed 3,000lbs less. Yes, I can tell I’m towing a heavier trailer but the chucking and bouncing are almost completely gone except for the worst pavement conditions which just driving a 3/4 ton truck by itself over would rattle your molars. Braking is not an issue for me with my setup. I would definitely look for a birds nest to add to your ride comfort, just stay away from any of the raptors or eagles since they won’t fit.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:04 PM   #93
tscjmc2018

M.O.C. #22241
We have a 2011 GMC 2500 Duramax (which I added a 2" leveling kit to the truck) and tow a 2017 3950BR. We added a set of Firestone air bags to the mix and instead of towing good it now tows the fiver GREAT! (Wayyyyy better than the same truck towed a 30' 10k LB travel trailer, WITH a load leveling hitch)