Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Fulltimers Insurance

In GENERAL DISCUSSIONS / Insurance
RV Insurance question, and your opinions

There is a discussion about RV insurance. Most of the discussion seems to be based on basic RV insurance. Basic is fine for those Full and Part time RVers that still own a stickhouse BUT for those of us that have sold everything and therefore no longer have homeowners liability you will need a different type of an RV policy.
Most all insurance companies such as Allstate, State Farm and I believe Gieco as well as many others DO NOT offer RV liability.

So, if you sold your stickhouse and therefore no longer have that homeowners liability insurance you should be looking for that RV type coverage.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
When we were full timing we had a Million dollar umbrella policy, and I think it was from Geico. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Our Fulltimers insurance gives us, not only Liability protection, but increased amount on contents plus a few other riders (not sure what they are without looking at policy) that are USUALLY not available to standard RV insurance holders.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:43 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Phil, You are correct. My biggest concern was that the Fulltimers are aware that they may or may not have any liability insurance. The extras may differ from one carrier to another.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:32 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If I might add a comment, when you purchase the RV insurance, you need to tell them you are full time and purchase full timer's coverage. When I hear of cheap premiums, I know they don't have the same coverage I do. There are no cheap full timer's policies. If it is cheap you don't have the coverage. Insurers are not idiots.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
mikezak

M.O.C. #8949
Being new to full time (3 months), I'm now wondering if we have the right insurance. Annual premium is less than $1,000?
mikezak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Mike, Many Fulltimers have sold their stickhouses. Doing so we have also cancelled all homeowner's insurance policies. If you are no longer a home owner than you no longer have the homeowner's liability insurance. You need to ask your agent if your RV insurance covers you for liabilities occuring in or around your RV. Many insurance companies, such as Allstate, State Farm, etc, DO NOT offer liability insurance in their RV insurance plans.

ON EDIT>>>>Many insurance agents either won't understand the Fulltimer concept or will just flat out lie to you.
DON'T JUST ASK YOUR AGENT IF YOU HAVE THE COVERAGE. HAVE IT PROVEN TO YOU IN WRITING WITHIN YOUR POLICY. You don't want to find out you are not covered when it is too late.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:25 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Your premium will depend somewhat on your state. Then your rate, of course depends on the coverage and deductible, etc. Example: the cost will be higher for "replacement" cost of your loss than a policy that only covers the depreciated value should your rig be totaled or contents be stolen.

I did a comparison between three insurers widely known for full timers insurance, Progressive, Aon, and Foremost. While there was some differences, they were minor and, for me, not enough to change carriers. I could get a cheaper policy with my current carrier, but it would have less coverage and higher deductibles. I bought what I felt comfortable with having.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote