Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
RovingHome
Established Member

M.O.C. #19508
Not new to Fulltiming but new to 5th wheels

Hi MOC! I'm Justin and I just bought my first Montana.

My fiance and I moved full time into our Montana in June of last year. We're probably some of the younger full timers here in our late twenties. But we're not new to full-timing.

10 years ago when we first started dating I was looking to buy a van to travel the country with. When I found this beauty.

I fell in love and drop a whopping $400 and towed it home. Where a few friends I started working on getting it running and driving again.

Then making it look good

RovingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
RovingHome
Established Member

M.O.C. #19508
With the outside finished we gutted the interior

Rewired the whole thing

And made the inside a little more livable

Then focused on the little details

And finally the finishing touch I hand cut a 14" diamond plate VW Badge for the front.

After 2 months of work, we had our new home for the next 6 months

Old 03-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
RovingHome
Established Member

M.O.C. #19508
The new girlfriend, two friends, and I all packed in for an epic road trip.

There were fun times

And not so fun times

Lots of Walmart parking lots slept in

and thousands of miles journeyed

But it eventually had to come to an end when my friends and I parted ways to go to college and the bus was sold for a more practical vehicle.

But over the next 2 years, Nicole (girlfriend) and I decided we weren't done traveling and were itching to get back on the road.

Continued in the next post...
Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
RovingHome
Established Member

M.O.C. #19508
Wanting to hit the road again but wanting a little more room we upgraded to a School bus

I bought this bad boy right out of the preschool lot.

Legally you can't own a yellow school bus, the government is afraid you're gonna drive around picking up kids. So it needed a paint job right away.

And we had to remove all the fun stuff like the stop sign and front swing out bar

I unfortunately can't find any interior photos but it was a pretty simple set up nothing fancy. We lived full time on the road in the bus for a few years traveling all over the American south-west including driving all of Route 66

Nearing our mid-twenties at this point we decided we wanted to upgrade to something with a few more amenities. That's when I found this older Jayco 222RK a decided it would be a nice upgrade without being much bigger than the school bus.

I also can't find any more photos of it besides this one I took at night.

But we learned with more amenities comes more problems. We had tons of issues with it including electrical problems and worst of all a leak over the bed that no one could stop.

Con't
Old 03-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
RovingHome
Established Member

M.O.C. #19508
After realizing we were always going back to Utah in our travels we decided that we should end our nomadic ways and rent a house like normal people in their twenties. So we sold the crappy Jayco and signed a lease on a condo in Southern Utah and tried to be house people.

After a year in one place, we were really getting the itch for something new so we packed our stuff and moved to a house in Salt Lake City.

When the next year lease came to an end we knew we needed a big change. This time we move back east to Tampa Florida to another house.

During this move we realized how much junk we had acquired after just two years of being house people. That we could no longer move with just our SUV's and little trailer.

Another year passes and we find ourselves in South Carolina looking at rentals when we think what the hell are we doing moving hundreds even thousands of miles every year is costing us so much money. Sitting in a Burlington coat factory parking lot waiting on the real estate agent to call us back we decided to go back to Full timing.

We went back to Florida, sold everything we owned in 30 days. Bought this giant 3500 chevy

And our first 5th wheel a 2008 Montana 3400RL

At this point, we're nearing 30 years old and have been living in the Montana for 10 months and couldn't be happier with our choice. Hope you like our story and we're happy to be part of MOC.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:15 AM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Wow! Great story. I hope y'all keep on keeping on
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
smitty1955
Established Member

M.O.C. #14652
GOOD STORY WELCOME
smitty1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Cool pics! Not only will you love your new Montana, but there are so many mods you can do with such a much larger canvas.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Interesting story. Welcome to the MOC family.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #10
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Talking Greetings!

Welcome to the MOC and wishing you many happy miles and adventures with your new rig. You both have already had some really great travels and enjoyed your story.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #11
The Impulse
Established Member

M.O.C. #19518
Great story. Welcome to MOC

2017 3820FK
First time Montana Owner
The Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #12
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
DW and I read your post. We marveled at how 4 people could live that close togather for so long. She also wonder if you won a lottery and did not have to work at all.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #13
RovingHome
Established Member

M.O.C. #19508
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead86 View Post
DW and I read your post. We marveled at how 4 people could live that close together for so long. She also wonder if you won a lottery and did not have to work at all.
It was tight in there and tempers were pushed at times.

I wish we won the lottery and didn't have to work. The girlfriend (now fiancée) works for a software company remotely and I'm an advertising photographer with a bunch of national contracts. So when we get somewhere for a little while I just let them know my location and they send me local work.