Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Question ice makers

What are some comments on portable ice makers. Can they fit under the kitchen cabinets on the counter and still allow access to the cubes and for filling? From some reviews I saw, all of them have a short life, it seems. Thanks for any input.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We had one and it only lasted a little over a year but it may have been because we let it run out of water.

The lids on most open from the top so you have to put them somewhere there is clearance to get into them. They are fairly heavy so need to not move them around too much.

Prices are cheap enough on them though that replacing it every couple years isn't really that big of a deal.

Our new trailer has a residential fridge with built in serious ice maker. That is a BIG plus for us. I don't think we will ever buy another trailer with anything else!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Our portable ice maker is an Igloo and it has worked great for nearly three years and still working. We have it on the counter and it fits well. The door to add the water and also remove the cubes is up front on the icemaker so very easy to do both. We use it constantly especially during the time we are in AZ because we make a lot of margaritas and other drinks and we also keep a supply in the freezer for any emergency. Dometic also makes a good unit and we had one of those before we got the Igloo.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I removed the bottom of dinette chair storage. Ice maker rides on floor under chair. Works well
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
Lee & Ruth
Established Member

M.O.C. #22240
We have an Opal Nugget Ice maker. Fits under the cabinets and the ice bin slides out of the front. It's that great crunchable ice.
Lee & Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
Dreamersandtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14250
Boondocking often. We have portable ice maker from Wal-Mart. Nice to make ice as often as we need. Store bags tend to be too large. When not in use it sits in basement covered with plastic bag - we use outside to avoid heating RV. In transit it goes covered behind coffee table between recliners. Short distances it can ride in kitchen sink.
Dreamersandtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:33 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It stores under one of the dinning room chairs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
ice maker

We bought our Tramontina Ice Maker at Sams maybe 2 yrs ago for $99 (?? I think) and love it. It starts making ice pretty quick. It works better on the "large ice cube" setting. I empty it out every other day, leave the lid up and let it air dry while we run errands to keep it from getting moldy (can't remember if this advice is in the owners manual or if I read it on a forum somewhere). The residential fridge also makes lots of ice, but it makes big cubes that are really hard frozen...great for ice tea but not for crunching. The Tramontina ice is preferred for adult beverages...much softer and crunchy - about the same texture as Sonic Drive-in ice. For travel, I put the thing on the slide-out floor under the table. We set it up under the glass door cabinet just across from the entry door, and I scooch it forward to where the rubber feet are still barely on the edge of the countertop and we can raise the lid for ice access and re-filling with water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-07-23_11-26-22.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	1977  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote