Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2015, 06:19 AM   #1
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
I know you're trying to be helpful, but please

My husband and I will celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary in June. We've been RVing together for 12 years now. We are both grey haired and I would think owning a 2014 Montana would give the impression that we've been doing this for a while.

So please... Men (women never do this)... Do NOT try to "guide" my husband into our site. We have a method down and it works for us, that is UNLESS you decide to wander over and "help". I am obviously on my cellphone with him, gesturing and guiding him in. He is too polite to tell you that I am talking to him in his Bluetooth earpiece. He will cut the wheel the way you say and pull up or back in as far as you tell him to show you he is a friendly person. It will take us MUCH longer to situate ourselves and once again we will both be in a bad mood when we're finally set up.

It happened again this trip and I'm sure the gentleman who thought he was helping now thinks I'm the nastiest woman he's met in a long time.

Thank you for letting me vent.

napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Understand the frustration. I am not so kind. I politely indicate I need no help and if that does not work, I tell them to go away, pull up their lawn chair and watch. Basic RVer courtesy is to not bother folks when coming in or leaving a site. We all have our routine and do not like interruptions as that is when mistakes tend to happen
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am naturally a friendly and helpful person. But in spite of seeing someone having real trouble getting into their site, I have never gone over without their request to help. And I never offer help to neighbors for anything else unless we have already met, became somewhat aquainted, I have judged their personality, and see them working on some repairs or something. Then I may walk over and start a general discussion and gauge by his attitude whether he might welcome help or not. If I get the wrong vibe, I just mosey back to my own site.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Take it from someone who that has watched Bill and Patricia back into a site, if he asked to help me, I would throw him the keys and watch. He really does a great job. He can park mine anytime he wants.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
The ONLY time I have helped is when A first timer was trying to pull next to me and having real Problems ,so his Wife knocked on our door and asked for help,NO PROBLEM,we got it done and hooked up and then they invited us over for a few glasses of Vino..COOL
Old 04-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Jimmy- by posting that I believe you are just trying to "plant a seed" that you want to drive my truck and "plant" my 5er when we meet down at Silver Cove. You know, if you did that you might be truck shopping the next day...
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:27 AM   #7
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
I had a feeling that I was preaching to the choir, so to speak. But aaaargh. There must be something about us that says, "helpless". And my husband is really very good at parking it just where we want it.
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grayghost03

Take it from someone who that has watched Bill and Patricia back into a site, if he asked to help me, I would throw him the keys and watch. He really does a great job. He can park mine anytime he wants.
You must have seen me the one time I got it on the first try.

Years ago when having trouble getting into a particularly tight site, and after multiple tries still not exactly where I wanted, a guy in the next site laying back in his chaise lounge drinking a cool one said "If you run out of diesel, I'll run up and get you some". Now that is helpful.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I normally try to sell tickets to people for watching me attempt to park. On a really 'off' day, I can make most of my camping fees back.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I will offer help if it appears someone needs it. Helped back a rig in yesterday. I'll ask and if they say no then I'm gone. If someone offers me help I don't need I have no problem telling them that we'll meet them when we're done, but we're busy now and please leave us alone.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #11
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I don't mind if people ask if i need help. I just ask them to go in the back and make sure I don't hit anything. Makes them feel helpful and more eyes looking for unseen stuff can't hurt. If they told me to turn my wheel x direction, i'd just ignore them.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #12
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
You are Correct My manI know I will want to go truck shopping the Next day Glenn,you got 60K I could Bum off ya??
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn the fifth

Jimmy- by posting that I believe you are just trying to "plant a seed" that you want to drive my truck and "plant" my 5er when we meet down at Silver Cove. You know, if you did that you might be truck shopping the next day...
Old 04-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #13
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I don't give them a chance. I have mine backed in before they can get out of their chair and walk over. Then my wife gets out of the truck and starts setting up inside.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #14
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
My wife and I both agree with napria.....we both know what to do and how to help each other when backing, what to look for, etc....we communicate very well.....we always use the GOALS system when backing....works like a charm....we use walkies when deemed necessary as well....and I have to admit...sometimes I surprise myself when I do an unexpected good job....but I always give credit to my wife and her ability to guide me....so yes...we prefer to be left alone until setup is complete....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #15
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Ok ok my real pet peeve! Some guy comes running up, even before you start your parking menuver, to tell you the "big secret" he learned! "If you just hold the steering wheel by the bottom"! I am usually very nice and say something funny to ease the situation. Some people get angry if you don't take their advice. Especially since I am only 55 and wet behind the ears. Specially like to have lil fun with older guys. I say "look at my truck and Rig" , "son", does this look like its my first rodeo? I also like the guy who yells instructions, or looks disappointed when you ignore them! Lol. I once asked a guy to stop yelling, I said I can't hear "Tammy Winnette" on my radio! Lol.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:46 AM   #16
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I had a guy come up to the window and was attempting to give me directions backing in once. My wife was assisting already and I guess he thought he could do better. I plainly ignored him and watched the D/W in the mirror. He didn’t assist for very long. Some people just think that because a woman is helping you they don’t know what they are doing.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:45 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen normally does all the backing as I have a better view from outside should I have to give a direction which I rarely do.
What I normally get is guys running over to me questioning why I let her do the backing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:46 AM   #18
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Last summer we went out to Mesa Az. to one of the mega RV campgrounds(if you wanna call it that). They have guides to "help" you get into your site. The site they gave us was gonna be a challenge but figured I could get her in there. But the old guy says I have to follow his instructions, says he been doing this a long time????? Well right off the bat he has be pull up against a palm tree and I know there is no way my trailer is gonna make this turn. I tell him so and I get the "I do this all day so listen to me"??? Ok, now I am jacked around to where we are going no where. After him yelling at me and me telling him he is nuts for about 20 minutes, I ignored him as he yelled and a neighbor watching laughed and lined my rig up and slide it in on the first shot. Afterwards he wanted to make nice and complimented me on my driving skills. Had to tell him I don't sit in parks for a long time like most of the people you get in here, my rig is an over the road rig so yeah not my first rodeo too lol lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #19
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
My co-pilot, Louise, and I have a great system that has worked for years. She's much more polite than I am when being offered "help". I firmly tell them that she really knows what she's doing.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:05 AM   #20
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We always try to be pleasant when help arrives. But we have also learned that you need to get rid of those helpers and do it yourself to avoid mishaps. The problem is that it sometimes sets the tone with your new neighbors. We just decided early on not to worry about it if we ended up with a grumpy neighbor. We would rather get backed in and set up smoothly and safely than worry about hurting someone's feelings.