Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #61
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I buy Fords because I tried them all and liked the Fords the best.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #62
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We buy Fords because we live in Ford Country and if you have 20 friends 10 of them will have worked for or retired from Ford and get many PIN numbers to give out every year for Ford Discounts. We buy under the Ford Friends and family program which is a huge discount. If we lived in Chevy country or Dodge country we would be driving one of them.
I get my Ford pin from DAV. Ram -- 1 and done.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #63
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I buy Fords because I tried them all and liked the Fords the best.
Lynwood

Wow! Now there's a novel approach
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:19 AM   #64
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
I live in Dodge country. There are more of them here than any other truck brand. I was always a Chevy guy until my DW finally fessed up that she never really liked them. Either way they are all good trucks with good points and not so good points. I love a free market system.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:53 AM   #65
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Question

How many large truck fleets U-haul, Penske etc use Dodge trucks.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:11 AM   #66
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I 'love' these threads. They go on and on.

Yep, I have a For and if I ever need another truck, it will be another one since that is the truck brand I grew up with (a '76 F250) and am comfortable with. Would I own another brand? Not at this late date in my life, but could have jumped on the GM or Fiat brands if that was where I started. All are good tow vehicles and when it all boils down, it's what we are comfortable owning>

When I look at a CG tow vehicle blend, I still see mostly Fords with more and more Fiats starting to show up. Unfortunately, the GM products seem to have faded though will probably come back if the higher 4500/5500s turn out well.

There is some noise that Hyundai is looking into buy Ram trucks - which would convince me that a Ford or GM model would stay in my garage. Wait and see as FCA is in a world of financial hurt with only Ram and some Jeep models keeping them afloat and Sergio Marcione probably looking for an out.

Then there are the MDT/HDTs - and nothing I can own ............
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #67
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I was a Ford guy in part because that is what our fleets were and I had a good relationship with dealer service centers. I decided to go to Ram for the Cummins when I went diesel because it has a good rep and has a long history. I actually like the Ford’s body and interior better but I am all about the drivetrain and how well and safely does the truck do the job. Nice interiors don’t improve performance. I don’t hold anything against the other brands and in fact we will be buying a Ford 1/2 ton for a daily driver next. I just got the impression that the Cummins is tried and true. That and I really like the factory installed hitch in the Ram
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #68
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
James you know those Ford trucks are made of beer cans and don’t last much longer than the beer did. Seriously check out the 2.7 Ecoboost engine. I have a 2015 and think it’s the best engine I’ve ever had in a vehicle. 325 HP and 400 Tk and mine has averaged over 21 MPG for 36000 miles. I like mine so muck I have another one coming in 12 days, special order.
Lynwood
Old 02-12-2018, 03:42 AM   #69
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
Post a pic of that there diesel. I have seen on you tube many diesels sitting for years and then starting right up. A 7.3 power stroke in an old bus for one and that was the best diesel ford ever had. and my neighbor had an old John Deere row cropper in the back field for 40 years and one day we were having a few and decided to try to start it and in about an 2 hours it fired up and ran with the birds nest flying everywhere. LOL
I would but haven’t been out there they haven’t called back.

I guess my $700 a day was too rich for their blood LOL

Phil P
Old 02-12-2018, 04:27 AM   #70
wnorton
Established Member

M.O.C. #21015
Ok, I literally just LOL...
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #71
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Dave W. do you read the autoextremist.com? What you say sounds like what they have been saying for a long time. If you don’t read the autoextremist you should.
Lynwood
Old 02-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #72
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Dave W. do you read the autoextremist.com? What you say sounds like what they have been saying for a long time. If you don’t read the autoextremist you should.
Lynwood

Lynwood - I've been reading autoextremist almost since Day 1. That and a bunch more. Did/does Peter Delorenzo influence me - sure but he is not alone since there are others who aren't caught up in the 'love' for everything FCA. My disdain started when my least favorite boss at GE, Bob Nardelli, became the CEO of Cerberus(sp?) who owned Chrysler back about 2008 and after he had screwed up my favorite go to DIY store Home Depot.

But is Ram a decent product - absolutely and would be my second choice as a 5ers TV
Old 02-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #73
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Dave I too have been reading Autoextremist from day one. I don’t know how I found it but it is my go to page on Wednesday morning. Peter isn’t right but about 90 +% of the time. I like the names he has for people, maximum Bob, minimum Bob. That is the unvarnished high octane truth.
Lynwood
Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #74
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Dave I too have been reading Autoextremist from day one. I don’t know how I found it but it is my go to page on Wednesday morning. Peter isn’t right but about 90 +% of the time. I like the names he has for people, maximum Bob, minimum Bob. That is the unvarnished high octane truth.
Lynwood
Yep, he is probably 90+ percent right. Heck, I even agree with him on NA$CAR and the way it's being run but still have that venue as a long term, non treatable addiction

I think I ran across it one really slow Friday afternoon while at work and since most of my projects were in 'garden countries' such as Saudi or Korea often had some free time (well, not really ) when I wandered the internet. At least Peter finally dumped 'A Bud's Life' this year since it got completely irrelevant a couple years or so back.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #75
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
All three brands are good reliable vehicles and all have normal issues in some form or another.Proper maintenance and care makes a difference in reliability in the long run.
Rods,pistons and heads all good parts so comparing one against the other dosen’t amount to anything.
Find what suites you best and enjoy.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #76
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I 'love' these threads. They go on and on.
Starting one of these is just like starting a religious or political war. Everyone's got the 'right' answer and they're all at least a little different. (Could have put it another way, but I'm trying to keep it above the waist!)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #77
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I guess I will add another comment on this thread. New TV is in the future and it wil probably be a DRW Ford F-350. I test drove both the Chevy and Ford in the 2017 higher end models. They both made me realize just how old my 2000 F-350 7.3 is. Both trucks were great to drive. I made it to the Dodge dealer but did not end up driving one although I have rode in a few friends late model SRW Dodges that seemed real nice. I won't say that there is a best brand as I think it boils down to personnel preference. I have read all about the goods and the bads of all three trucks and also their engines. As for now I think Ford is slightly ahead overall but that can certainly change in the next year or two as the others do a major refreshment. As for technology I think the Ford is way ahead, engine wise I think they all have great engines. Remember some people only tow with their trucks others use them as daily drivers so everyone may want different features for their life styles. I really do like the Dodge built in bed tool boxes but I haven't seen it in the dually. I guess if it's my money I can buy what I want and think it is the best.

Tom Marty
Old 02-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #78
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I have gotten to that point in life when 2000 model was just built the other day in my head........Then I realize well dang it that's 18 years ago!!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #79
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorton View Post
Ok, I literally just LOL...
What aren you LOL about?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #80
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree with Tom. I can buy what I wont and think it’s the best. When you shop around compare all of them and them buy you truly have bought the best, for you.
It doesn’t matter what I like it’s not my money.
Lynwood